How do I dispose of a jar of mercury safely and cheaply?

I've got a jar of mercury that I no longer need and want to dispose of. There's probably a kilo or two as it's so incredibly dense stuff.

How do I do this without breaking any laws and without incurring any charges?

I've heard rumour that if you contact the authorities they will impose the charge of safe disposal on you, which is off-putting as I think it's expensive stuff to deal with.

Does anyone know if that is true? If so it seems rather counter-productive as imposing a charge would encourage people to dispose of the stuff unsafely, which I'm not going to do.

I might be willing to take it off your hands. Legally.

How is it currently packaged?

Tell our truthers / conspiracy theorists that drinking mercury cures cancer and TPTB have been keeping it seekrit from the sheeple :cool:

This has been classified as a hazardous waste for years and I am sure that the rumours you have heard that it will cost you to dispose of illegally are true.

Even the storage of it used to be strictly controlled ,and special mercury flasks had to be used to prevent spillage and fumes.

I hope that yours isn't in a jam jar.

I'm afraid that you will have to be responsible and dispose of it legally.

Intrigued to know what SpikeMac can do for free and legally.

Could be worth asking at your local metal yard... I believe it is worth something like £40/kg.

Edited by Hairyloon

Tell our truthers / conspiracy theorists that drinking mercury cures cancer and TPTB have been keeping it seekrit from the sheeple :cool:

Sheeple Wake Up!

Thanks for the suggestions, I've got a few to explore now.

I don't know whether you're allowed to give it away but perhaps you could see if the university or a school has any use for it?

When I was at school they had a jar full in the science lab and the teacher would pour some on to our hands to show how it felt.:(:(:(

When I was at school they had a jar full in the science lab and the teacher would pour some on to our hands to show how it felt.:(:(:(

That werent Gleadless Valley was it? Sounds like one of the things Mr Pashley used to do.

They put it in your teeth so that you can be controlled.

I remember that. Also my Dad used to bring some home from work for me and my brother to play with. It's brilliant stuff, but any parent who did that now would probably be charged with endangering a child.

I wonder how dangerous it really is in the metal form?

It's seriously toxic to the environment so don't even think about dumping it, 2 kilo's of the stuff will absolutely decimate a large area and you'll be in very serious trouble (think national news kinda trouble)

Talk to the council, or even the police - both should be super eager to take it off your hands and make sure it's properly disposed of.