Can you mix your recycling in the same blue bin ?

Where I live, we have the option of using our blue wheelie bin for either glass/plastics/tins or for paper and vice versa for the blue box.

If this is the case, then I assume that all the recycling gets mixed up together in the back of the collection vehicle.

If paper & glass etc does get mixed together, then it would be easier for me to just use my blue wheelie bin for all recycling.

I find the blue boxes to be a poor design, especially with the floppy elasticated cover which has already perished and is no longer fit for anything.

I'm all in favour of recycling & composting, so I'm just wanting some clarification if anyone knows,

Nope.

You can chose which bins holds what, but you cant put both together. For example, we use our bin for glass and plastics and the boxes for paper and cardboard

If this is the case, then I assume that all the recycling gets mixed up together in the back of the collection vehicle.

No, they go in the back of the same vehicle but are still separated inside. It looks like a normal bin wagon but the 2 sections are divided internally

I find the blue boxes to be a poor design, especially with the floppy elasticated cover which has already perished and is no longer fit for anything.

That is an issue, but one that is addressed - just contact Veolia and a replacement cover will be issued. They seem susceptible to UV and degrade rapidly.

If you find yourself struggling to fit the hat over the recycling due to volume, you can have a second box.

We don't even have a box any more ours got taken away so we just have the blue bin

Also remember, youre allowed two blue boxes and 1 blue bin per household.

if theres two legal flat in one home and you have two black bins, two blue bins for each of you, then in total you could have 4 blue boxes

We just put whatever in whichever since one of the bin men told us a huge percentage of carts end up being incinerated due to "cross contamination".

It really isn't worth the bother in reality. :(

If you have friendly neighbours ask them if you could share blue bins, and use one for plastic and one for paper between both households. At my previous flat we used to do this and it worked well.

We don't even have a box any more ours got taken away so we just have the blue bin

Ring veolia they will bring you a new one 01142734567 :thumbsup:

just check the website and you can choose which container you want to use for paper and glass/tin etc..

http://www.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/Sheffield/Collections/Blue-box-and-blue-bin-recycling-service/Blue-box-and-blue-bin-flexible-service-/

Oooo, goodie we get to choose! :roll:

Labouring for free for a private company takes the **** if you ask me.

---------- Post added 22-09-2013 at 08:34 ----------

If you have friendly neighbours ask them if you could share blue bins, and use one for plastic and one for paper between both households. At my previous flat we used to do this and it worked well.

That sounds to me as though you just wanted to use your neighbours blue bins when yours got full.