Dogs being left unattended with children

Depends on the age of the child and the dog.

I would never leave any very small child alone with any kind of animal.

I wouldn't leave a young child alone with any sizeable dog.

I do trust my dog with sensible children of about 12 or so though.

Edit - I meant the temperament of the dog not the age of the dog!!

Edited by vwkittie

Why has this thread been moved to the pet owners forum? :confused:

What was it posted in the Sheffield section - is it only relevant to Sheffield or is it more relevant to dog owners?

---------- Post added 20-09-2013 at 14:42 ----------

From the birth of my first nephew ive always made sure the dogs get so bond with babies as early as possible. From the babies being a few weeks old ive let my dogs sit with them, guard them and generally do as they wish around them. All they seem to want to do is watch, protect and occasionally play. Dogs are nothing to be scared of if they are treated in the right way.

I've an 8 week old Grandson, my dogs do nothing harmful to him,they sit near him,sniff him etc etc BUT they are 42kgs in weight so one good whack of the tail as they turn around is damaging enough. After a few of those in meat and two veg as an adult it brings tears to your eyes.

What was it posted in the Sheffield section - is it only relevant to Sheffield or is it more relevant to dog owners?

It should have been moved to General Discussions.

I've an 8 week old Grandson, my dogs do nothing harmful to him,they sit near him,sniff him etc etc BUT they are 42kgs in weight so one good whack of the tail as they turn around is damaging enough. After a few of those in meat and two veg as an adult it brings tears to your eyes.

:hihi: I can imagine it would hurt quite a bit. Perhaps this could help?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDX-Groin-Guard-Protector-MMA-Cup-Boxing-Abdo-Gloves-Box-Shorts-Muay-Thai-Kick-K-/200952811748?pt=UK_Protective_Equipment&var=&hash=item2ec9b890e4

:hihi:

There is the cautious view and the realistic view. Pre kids I said I would never leave them unattended but reality is that unless you shut the dog away most of the time (or the kids!) then when the phone rings, door bell goes, pan is boiling over, toddler needs urgent wee or falls over and starts screaming, baby yelling etc etc stopping to put the dog away is not realistic. For this reason we are extremely selective about the sort of dog we have. Still this does not entirely mitigate risk, though the risk of other household accidents for children is actually higher, but we do leave our older children unaccompanied with the stairs which are actually very dangerous and associated with serious brain injury.

Edited by SamMT

Our lad has been left alone with dogs on a daily basis for 7/8 years now without incident. The only law i've laid down aside from 'respect them and don't treat them like a toy' is under no circumstances do you invite your friends in if we're not there.