Should smoking be banned in prisons?

> @ halibut,

Well if you've visited a couple of prisons, then pardon my ignorance, next time I visit a couple of hospitals I'll know all about medical practice.

Prison Should not damage you, it should Break you, and it should make you so desperate to not go their ever again.

Can you cite any country where that has actually worked?

Have you done any time?

A) Nope I have always been man enough to face Life, and Deal with it. No eassy option for me.

Why Should I address the reasons why "they" are in prison?

It's not my fault they can't hack it.

and I don't think Devils island had too many repeat customers.

50% Died in the first Year, I can Live with that.

Edited by Jace

Smoking is a privilege and a luxury.

So forget health reasons,they shouldn't have any luxuries in there.

As far as im concerned,they should think themselves lucky not to be in shackles and breaking boulders!lol

It was when I last worked in one on a secure unit in 2005.

I could check with old colleagues and get back to you.

---------- Post added 20-09-2013 at 17:07 ----------

Those two facts are not neccesarily related.

---------- Post added 20-09-2013 at 17:07 ----------

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Thanks Halibut, I'd be interested to know if it is allowed. I do know that some psychiatric patients smoke as a way of coping with their distress, so not being allowed must be torment for them.

absolutely it should be banned along with plenty of other comforts tvs, playstations pool, prison should be a punishment ....it is not!!

I was watching a Newsnight debate recently & a govenor of a prison countered this accusation by stating that such things as you've quoted are luxuries to be earned, not given as of right.

If you look at the developed countries with the softest prisons (Scandinavia) and those with the toughest (America) and then at their reoffending rates, it's pretty clear that tough love doesn't work.

As for smoking, it's my belief that no one has the right to harm the health of somebody else. If you're outside in a designated smoking area, you're free to walk away. If you're locked in a cell with a 40-a-day man, you aren't. Same for the prison officers who presumably have to stand in smoky rooms.

That's because they put love in the equation, No tough love, Just TOUGH, Make it Harder until they don't want to be there.

Prison is easy, that's why we have repeat offenders, if prison was hard like I want it to be, we would not have repeat offenders.

didnt we have repeat offenders in say victorian times? which were much harder than now?

the only difference is, certain offences youd get hanged, so thered be no repeating

so yes youre wrong

Isn't it like an evolution thing? If you make prisons less humane, you only end up releasing bigger, badder and more broken individuals.

Isn't it like an evolution thing? If you make prisons less humane, you only end up releasing bigger, badder and more broken individuals.

yup

you create the monster you sow

And if prison worked so well then why are they always full?

Even death row is crammed.

Yes you got repeat offenders in Victorian times, and when they got caught they were punished harder, or Hanged, I've no problem with that either, and hopefully Transported.

Something that should be reinstated today. Put them in the worst parts of Africa, and see how hard they thought they had it.

The idea should be Break them until they think before the act. Today's Criminal does not think about the Consequences of it's actions, Because there are none in place to be worried about.

---------- Post added 20-09-2013 at 18:25 ----------

Prison Does not currently work and is crammed, Because it is soft, and all the criminals advertise this on release, to the rest of the Goonies, who then don't see it as a deterrent.

Make it a deterrent and they will advertise it as so.

Absolutely, RF. Spot on.

I think you'll find that the lowest reoffending rates are found in Scandinavia, where prisons are much more rehabilitative than ours and in general have more liberal regimes.