Should smoking be banned in prisons?

It won't happen, a cell is a prisoners home so if he wants to smoke in his home it is his choice.

Prison staff should be told at interview that they will encounter smokers and smoke as part of the job.

It will get challenged in court if they introduced it as prison is about loss of liberty and not loss of the right to smoke in a prisoners home during sentence.

What a load of tosh!

An offender is sent to prison and it's certainly not his home.

If he wants to smoke then he should not be in prison.

As for loss of liberty. I thought that was what prison was for.

He could claim that it's against his human rights, however, what about the human rights of the victim?

It's not a holiday camp he's checked into!

Ban smoking and withdraw all luxuries.

What a load of tosh!

An offender is sent to prison and it's certainly not his home.

If he wants to smoke then he should not be in prison.

As for loss of liberty. I thought that was what prison was for.

He could claim that it's against his human rights, however, what about the human rights of the victim?

It's not a holiday camp he's checked into!

Ban smoking and withdraw all luxuries.

LOL.

By default prison IS a prisoners home.

You really can't see that ? :huh:

try being a prison warder when the violence, fires, maiming and killing kicks off and see if your view changes

try being a prison warder when the violence, fires, maiming and killing kicks off and see if your view changes

Oh come on Mel, this isn't about common sense or logic, it's about one posters sense of revenge. Guess someone stole their garden gnome so they're looking for retribution. :hihi:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24170235

I say yes, I see no reason why prisons should be any different to any other place of employment. Prisoners are adults and should be held to the same standards as adults anywhere else in the country.

Happ Hazzard at it again, the Libertarian who loves banning things. http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9818211&highlight=ban#post9818211

No, smoking shouldn't be banned in prisons. Prisoners have enough of their freedoms curtailed as it is.

No, smoking shouldn't be banned in prisons. Prisoners have enough of their freedoms curtailed as it is.

Bloody hell cod piece, it's a truly momentous day when 99% of SF members agree with you. HH really should recognise he's on a loser with this now. :hihi:

Is it not a double edged sword ? Stop it and we end up with human rights payouts , dont stop it and end up with passive smokers payouts

Why not just make them stand outside the gates if they want to smoke...

---------- Post added 20-09-2013 at 08:27 ----------

It won't happen, a cell is a prisoners home so if he wants to smoke in his home it is his choice.

Prison staff should be told at interview that they will encounter smokers and smoke as part of the job.It will get challenged in court if they introduced it as prison is about loss of liberty and not loss of the right to smoke in a prisoners home during sentence.

---------- Post added 20-09-2013 at 02:27 ----------

They don't allow you to smoke in the outside exercise areas.

Re BIB. That cannot/will not happen. The same idea was put forward for pub workers prior to the smoking ban in pubs. It didn't happen.

How about allowing industries without any safety standards, on the basis that employees are warned when they apply for a job. Would that be OK?

Edited by Eater Sundae

Why not just make them stand outside the gates if they want to smoke.

Haha. :hihi:

This could only happen in an infantile country like the one Britain has become ! Our nicks are bursting at the seams with every kind of offender one can imagine and we 're asked to consider the question of smoking in prison ! Deckchairs ? Titanic ?....... A bucket of water ? The Great Fire of London ?

Well, I suppose it 'll give the control freaks something to do........

To be fair i'm now wondering if the OP meant crack, smack and hash (pretty hard to bung an ounce of skunk up your bum) ? Because they are almost as freely available inside as tobacco is.

If so i support him. :D