Should smoking be banned in prisons?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24170235

I say yes, I see no reason why prisons should be any different to any other place of employment. Prisoners are adults and should be held to the same standards as adults anywhere else in the country.

What about outside, should that be allowed (when they are outside the cells I mean)?

I say yes, I see no reason why prisons should be any different to any other place of employment. Prisoners are adults and should be held to the same standards as adults anywhere else in the country.

It won't happen, a cell is a prisoners home so if he wants to smoke in his home it is his choice.

Prison staff should be told at interview that they will encounter smokers and smoke as part of the job.

It will get challenged in court if they introduced it as prison is about loss of liberty and not loss of the right to smoke in a prisoners home during sentence.

---------- Post added 20-09-2013 at 02:27 ----------

What about outside, should that be allowed (when they are outside the cells I mean)?

They don't allow you to smoke in the outside exercise areas.

Is smoking allowed in B&Bs? I don't think it is.

Smoking should be banned in prison, full stop. No-one ever died from nicotine withdrawal. The idea that prisoners can't be trusted not to riot if deprived of their "snout" is the prejudce of low expectations.

Smoking should be banned in prison, full stop. No-one ever died from nicotine withdrawal. The idea that prisoners can't be trusted not to riot if deprived of their "snout" is the prejudce of low expectations.

What about prisoners on remand who are found not guilty at trial?

What about prisoners human rights? :hihi:

It is hypocritical when smoking at a bar or bust stop is a criminal offence but smoking inside a prison cell is lawful.

Its one small step from smoking to Nazi war atrocities. Hunt them down like pigs and shoot them like dogs. ps love smoking!

Smoking is allowed in some B&B or hotel rooms.

Smokers are evil, they must be destroyed, sent to hell and not be allowed gravestones. ps I smoke.

So we can extrapolate you're posting from inside. How long is your sentence ?

As a non smoker it must be pretty hard for you so you have my sympathy.

You are inside aren't you ? This isn't just you wanting to impose your opinions on a situation you aren't suffering, is it ?

It won't happen, a cell is a prisoners home so if he wants to smoke in his home it is his choice.

Prison staff should be told at interview that they will encounter smokers and smoke as part of the job.

It will get challenged in court if they introduced it as prison is about loss of liberty and not loss of the right to smoke in a prisoners home during sentence.

---------- Post added 20-09-2013 at 02:27 ----------

They don't allow you to smoke in the outside exercise areas.

why should prison staff have less rights than other people when my friend who is diabetic had part of a leg amputated he was told the nurses visiting every day to his home could refuse going in the house if he smoked