Shuttleworth Clift

Trying to establish what happened to Shuttleworth Clift (born Lincolshire abt 1880) after he "disappeared" in 1938. His first wife was Jessie Terrace and his second wife was Florence Bridges.

I believe he had a son Eric Clift born 1906 and daughters Constance 1902 and Doris 1914. I think there may have been more to his second wife.

There is marriage of Constance marrying Harry Makey in 1925 perhaps they had children!

There is a marriage for a Doris Clift to an Albert Cockayne in 1939 they also could have children

A marriage of Eric Clift to Alice Newsham in 1928

Lets hope we get some leads -this is proving a very interesting quest!!

Edited by smary

Makey and Cockayne are 2 new names, I'm still waiting for a reply on Facebook from someone who I think may be a grandson/gt grandson.

Shuttleworth Clift born 1888 in Lincs - the son of Henry and Betsy Ann Clift.

Married Jessie Helen Terrace 26th December 1900 in Brightside Chursh, Sheffield.

Children were William Terrace born April 1901 died July 1901, Constance born 1902, Eric born 1906, Mabel H born 1908 and Doris born 1/4/14

There is a very sad story about Mabel Helen. When she was 8 years old she tragically died in the Royal Infirmary in Sheffield on 26th March 1916. The death certificate states- ' died of the shock of burns sustained at her home the same day through her flannelette nightdress and cotton wool jacket catching fire at the unguarded bedroom fire'.

Shuttleworth was away fighting in WW1 at the time.

His war records describe him as 5ft 53/4 ins tall, weighing 120 lbs with blue eyes, a fresh complexion, light brown hair and scars on his neck.

His record states that he was disciplined several times for drunkenness and failure to attend earl;y morning parade.

He married his second wife Florence Bridges 1934 and had one child Dorothy in 1937. I am unable to find his death.

Regards

---------- Post added 20-09-2013 at 17:08 ----------

Constance Clift married Harry Makey 1925 - they had 5 children :- Harry born April Q 1925, Leonard born July Q 1926, Arnold born April Q 1928 and twins Kathleen and Kenneth born July Q 1931.

Constance died in 1938.

Doris Clift married Albert Cockayne 1939 and had just one child, Albert, in July Q 1941.

Eric Cliftmarried Alice Newsham in 1928. They had 5 children :- Irene born Oct Q 1928, Joan M born July Q 1930, Donald born Oct Q 1932, Jack born Jan Q 1937 and Fred born Oct Q 1938.

Eric died in 1966.

---------- Post added 20-09-2013 at 17:18 ----------

According to the 1911 census, Shuttleworth and Jessie have 3 living children (Constance, Eric and Mabel H) and 3 children who had died - we know about William Terrace but not about the other two.

The census also states that Eric was born in Polmont, Stirlingshire and Mabel H was born in Blantyre, Lanarkshire.

Got a load of info there, so thankyou very much. Shuttleworth obviously worked in Scotland between 1901 and 1911. I saw his army records last Remembrance weekend when they were free to view. He obviously liked a drink. We have a theory that he was in the three Horseshoes in town when it wastotally destroyed in the blitz. A record of his death is proving very elusive. another theory is that he changed his name when he walked out on his second family.

He had one child with his second wife Florence.

Dorothy was born 1st March 1937, married Leonard Scarborough in 1958 and had 4 children :- Julie A born July Q 1959, Paul A born Jan Q 1962, David born July Q 1964 and Joanne Lyn born April 1972 although I suspect you know all of this more recent history ...........?

He would have been too old to join the forces for WW2.

I'll keep on digging and see if I can find anything else.

Regards

No, didn't know about the Scarboroughs, my knowledge of Shuttleworth is from my Terrace family tree and a Bible he sent to my grandma from the trenches in 1915. Will look and see if there are any of the Scarboroughs on facebook. When trying to fill in blanks on the family tree I realised we hadn't got his date of death and that was the start of the mystery of his disappearance. Its not life or death to find out (pardon the pun) but there are now a lot of people who have been searching (worldwide) and its always nice to solve a puzzle.

---------- Post added 20-09-2013 at 19:34 ----------

cant find anything, if Dorothy Scarborough (nee Clift ) is still alive she may be the one to talk to although she would only have been a baby when Shuttleworth left.

Dorothy Scarborough died 9th January this year.

Her children might be worth contacting - they may have memories of stories their Mum told them.

Scarborough is a good name to trace.

Good luck.

Hi, im one of the daughters of dorothy scarborough( clift), I am also trying to find a death for shuttleworth clift ( my grandad) my grandma was florence bridges, ive been told he was a travelling sales man, but didnt know he liked a drink or that he worked in scotland.i think he had more than one child with Florence but cant be sure.if anyone has more info on shuttleworth please feel free to contact me

---------- Post added 22-09-2013 at 18:24 ----------

Shuttleworth clift d.o.b is 21/03/1880

he served in the army and Scotland seems to come up on his records. He was a member of the8th Kings Own Scottish Borderers , 27th Labour Corps and also Hallamshire Rifle Defence where it says he left in April 1921.

If any one has got a picture of shuttleworth that would be nice as ive never seen what my grandad looked like

---------- Post added 23-09-2013 at 19:00 ----------

Thank you smary some of that I didnt know

Shuttleworth Clift born 1888 in Lincs - the son of Henry and Betsy Ann Clift.

Married Jessie Helen Terrace 26th December 1900 in Brightside Chursh, Sheffield.

Confused born 1888, married 1900, would make him only 12 when he married!