Home Schooling.

I only ask out of interest, i know some guys that are home schooled and it got me thinking, these guys can only educate to their teachers level of education and if the teacher has no formal education would that be considered the blind leading the blind.

It is an interesting topic. Don't forget a teacher can only teach to their level of training and competence and usually to a much larger class than a parent who will most probably have less than 5 children. Also most home edders will explore other means of helping their kids learn, not just formal teaching. For example I don't consider myself particularly good at maths so I will search out other ways of helping my kids learn in that area, for example You Tube tutorials, tutors or friends with skills in this area. I see home education as helping my children to learn, rather than teaching them what I know. That would be too limiting! :D

Don't forget a teacher can only teach to their level of training and competence and usually to a much larger class than a parent who will most probably have less than 5 children.

Perhaps this is why different teachers are used at different levels in schools, and whilst i can see some benefits i too see other areas where a child might lose out, friendships/relations, interaction for instance would be very limited.

That aside, there is a very basic level of education that our children should receive and it is this, that i believe needs to be guaranteed and monitored.

It's interesting you think the children will miss out on relationships and friendships. This is the one area we certainly feel strongest about. Our children attend at least 3 different groups each week where they can make friends, develop social skills and learn new activities. HE isn't for everyone though, I guess that what makes it such an interesting and diverse world!

Perhaps this is why different teachers are used at different levels in schools, and whilst i can see some benefits i too see other areas where a child might lose out, friendships/relations, interaction for instance would be very limited.

That aside, there is a very basic level of education that our children should receive and it is this, that i believe needs to be guaranteed and monitored.

Do schools guarantee this very basic level of education? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10362061/OECD-English-school-leavers-among-least-literate-and-numerate-in-the-developed-world.html

The law stands that it is a parents duty to ensure that their child is provided with an education suitable to their age, aptitude, ability and any special needs they may have. Many parents delegate this to a school without even knowing that the duty is laid on them in law. When a parent delegates this duty to a school then it is only right and proper that the standard of education is monitored as the schools are answerable to the parents, but when parents undertake the duty themselves, why should they be monitored any more than when they undertake their duty to feed their children or clothe them?

When Graham Badman tried to bring in monitoring he was unable to find one single case of child abuse in a home educating family where the social services had not already been involved with the family, and iifc the parliamentary select committee for home education accepted that the risk of abuse for home educated children was 75% less than that for schooled children.

We don't expect the police to call at every house just to check that there are no stolen goods on the property, we would expect them to only do this if there was a reason to believe that stolen goods were in the house. This is the main standpoint of the law, innocent until proven guilty. In the same way home educating parents deserve to be treated as innocent until proven guilty and should only be checked and monitored if there is a reason to believe that they are not fulfilling their duty.

The law quite rightly does not require routine monitoring of home educated children, although there are plenty of powers available to intervene if there is a reason to believe that an education is not being provided.

Hi my son is 9 and is in mainstream school. He has autism and tourettes. He had a statement but for some reason had it taken off him. Re-applying would take months and even if he got it it would only give him couple of hours a week extra support. He needs constant help. Even at home if I tell him to go upstairs and get dressed he will go upstairs but get to his room and forget what to do next. It's 24/7 and school are trying but end of day they're not experts in dealing with autism. I have found a school dealing with this but could take years to get him in. He keeps saying he wishes he wasn't alive and he doesn't say things like that unless he means it. I know him. I feel I have no option but to home school. I just don't know where to start. Has anyone been in similar situation? Is there any websites or programmes anyone can recommend? Any advice is appreciated.

Many years ago we had to make a decision that involved a choice between home schooling, a special school, a special unit in a mainstream school and a mainstream school.

We were both teachers and aware of the system and how his needs could or could not be met.

Being parents we had a strong defensive attitude which favoured home schooling or special schooling environment.

I have no doubt that my sons reading and writing would be better had he gone "special" but I am certain that it was only through mainstream that he surprised us all by gaining C+ grade GCSEs, success at college and a choice of higher education routes.

We made our decision because of one comment made by a very experienced special needs teacher of autistic children:

"Do you want your son to be able to cope with what society throws at him or do you want him always to need a special environment ?".

At the time there were endless battles about statements, financing, reluctant teachers, Ryegate and some Council staff, head teachers who ... etc

But there were (and are) also fantastic support staff, dinner staff, caretakers, council staff, teachers and pupils who have enabled him to gain a level of confidence and pursue an independent life. Thank you all at SM, ND and HC.

Getting a "statement" is essential. The current school will loose financially if this has changed and therefore should support any "appeal".

You can place your child at a school that you consider the best for them.

There are superb "special" schools and units which may be suitable, some are outside Sheffield but are accessible to Sheffield residents.

Home schooling should not be considered as both of you could become isolated from the system. Consider what will happens at 11 and 16.

Hi my son is 9 and is in mainstream school. He has autism and tourettes. He had a statement but for some reason had it taken off him. Re-applying would take months and even if he got it it would only give him couple of hours a week extra support. He needs constant help. Even at home if I tell him to go upstairs and get dressed he will go upstairs but get to his room and forget what to do next. It's 24/7 and school are trying but end of day they're not experts in dealing with autism. I have found a school dealing with this but could take years to get him in. He keeps saying he wishes he wasn't alive and he doesn't say things like that unless he means it. I know him. I feel I have no option but to home school. I just don't know where to start. Has anyone been in similar situation? Is there any websites or programmes anyone can recommend? Any advice is appreciated.

Sorry to hear you're having such a challenging time at the moment. There is a really good HE network in Sheffield. There is a meet every Thursday from 10 am at St Oswalds Church on Abbeydale road. This group is called Free Range and you would be able to find other people in similar situations or just pick peoples brains about different ways through. There is also various facebook groups you can try asking your specific questions in:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HEsupport4all/ this one is a national group for HE which might have more scope for answers. There are Sheffield specific ones

I don't agree with the statement about school being the only way to help your child prepare for society, home education doesn't have to be a 'special' environment, many people chose to HE for many reasons and with the care and attention tailored to their needs every child can flourish whatever their needs or situation. It's your decision however, you can do it any way you like, thats the real beauty of HE!

Hi there.

I've been interested in home schooling for a couple of years now and I'm still not 100% whether it is for us or not, does anybody know of any homeschooling groups I could join/speak with?

Also, my three year old daughter is due to start nursery next term (April, I think...) but I wondered if there's a group somewhere that my daughters and I could attend together instead of going to nursery. I really want my daughter to enjoy the social aspect of nursery but I haven't found any available nurseries that I love enough to want to send her there 3 days a week.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated :-)

C

Edited by Cheekster

Hi,

I think there's a homeschooling playgroup on a Thursday- not 100% certain though- maybe someone on here can help? It's in the Eccleshall area as far as I remember- I'm sure I saw it on netmums- it might be worth having a look on there.

Also there's a lovely baby/toddler group on a Friday morning at Sheffield small school, they also run a nursery for 3-5 year olds- if you google Sheffield Small school you should find it.

Sorry I'm only half being helpful- I'm on my phone so can't google and copy and paste links.

Sam

Hi

I was a bit the same with my daughter, she goes to the Avenue Nursery at Dronfield. I cannot recommend it enough if you are around the area its definitely worth looking at, it was the second nursery she went to as we did not like the first one.

All the kids are beautifully behaved and the staff really care about them.

Cassie