4 Mimes/The Discoes from Sheffield clubland

Sorry Arodbo, they never did Bridget the midget, that was the mimes, they did that every time. The cuckoo four were the group with the gorgeous girl with legs that went on forever.

Hi Tillerman I never saw them when they were called the 4 mimes, I saw them as the disco's though, and yes they did do Bridget the Midget. :nod:

Hi Tillerman I never saw them when they were called the 4 mimes, I saw them as the disco's though, and yes they did do Bridget the Midget. :nod:

Yes they sure did

I regret to say that I never saw the 4 mimes or discos. I believe two of my school pals were in the group, Robert Crawley and Rex Bacon. I understood that it was Rex who died of cancer??

It was Roger who died of cancer some years ago. Sadly Rex had a massive stroke a couple of years ago but he is still with us. Bob still pops into Firth Park W.M.C. on a regular basis with his wife, usually on a Sunday night.

Roger & Rex were brothers,and yes,Rex has been poorly but him & Bob are now agents and in fact have suppled artists for Firth Park WMC for years.Top act in their day.

I know this is an old thread, but Ruby I can't believe you said that about the Three Disco's :o At one time we used to come home every year to Sheffield, first thing we did was look in the OC's to see what club the Disco's were on. We watched them in the 70s and maybe early 80s, they were still good then too. The big one I had a bit of a crush on I think, remember when he did Elvis, during the song, when it was just music, he'd run round the club and just time it so he was back on stage for the singing part. :hihi: Their lip syncing was spot on. :thumbsup: The little red haired one did Bing Crosby proud I think. :thumbsup:

I loved the Disco's and he did do a great Bing Crosby set with the pipe and the bum bum bum and didn't he do the thin guy from Laural and Hardy.

There are a few negative comments about them on here most are positive and maybe they weren't for everybody but you can never say they were rubbish, a rubbish band don't pack the clubs for years like they did.

I remember the Bridget the Midget guy and the one with red hair but struggle to put a face to the 3rd but I think by the 80s they had Had there day but great memories.

Rex and Roger were brothers weren't they? I think Bob was the "good-looking" one, very handsome, in fact he dated my friend for a period of time

I found this in The Stage reviews when I Googled, it was dated June 3rd 2005

Awards were also presented on the night to legendary clubland singing star John O’Hara, who was given the clubland star achievement award, while Rex Bacon and Bob Crawley of the recently retired Sheffielfd comedy mime act The Discoes were both presented with the Life Achievement award in an evening full of fun and variety.

Awards were also presented on the night to legendary clubland singing star John O’Hara, who was given the clubland star achievement award, while Rex Bacon and Bob Crawley of the recently retired Sheffielfd comedy mime act The Discoes were both presented with the Life Achievement award in an evening full of fun and variety.

Richly deserved awards for all of them. The Discoes started out as the 3 Mimes, then went to the 4 Mimes. They were almost always at The Loco Club around Christmas time as it was close to their homes and so it wasn't far to travel. A very funny act with excellent timing. I think they used to open with Bridget the Midget, and they also used to do "The Streak" and an Elvis number (was it "Burning Love") where Rex used to run round the concert room during the instrumental break, have a drink of someone's pint, and get back on stage just in time for the singing to re-start.

Pitsmoorlad that is so true, I can picture it now. Here's some email addresses if you want to inquire about them, I'm thinking of asking if they've a DVD on the market. :)

http://www.ceebeevariety.com/

I've now emailed Steph and asked if they've any DVD's out. :thumbsup:

Edited by Joto

I've been in touch with Rex by email, he's asked me to represent him on here, so guys if there's anything you want to know I'll ask him for you. I've asked him about any DVD's that they may have, sadly they were never professionally filmed while doing their act.

Too bad, maybe someone has some home video footage somewhere?