Why was the derby at Hillsborough not a sell out?

Taking an interest in Sheffield football because I live here, I was interested and surprised to see that the attendance figure for the recent SWFC v SUFC was 33,439 compared to Hillsborough's official capacity of 39,814.

Having got the impression that supporters of both teams would pack out the ground, 6,375 empty seats seems rather a lot.

Anyone know why?

Reasons I could think of off the top of my head would be:

- seat capacity lost due to segregation (netting and that lark)

- purchasing conditions; the necessary stubs etc

Or is the attendance actually reflective of demand? Put it this way, I would have come to sample the atmosphere if I knew I could have got a ticket - just assumed it would sell out.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

I think you've just about got it there. Wednesday made it very difficult for the home fans ( the regulars were ok ) but in fairness this was to ensure segregation was at its best. Having said that I would not have fancied another 6000+ squeezed in anyhow

A simpler explanation might be that with Wednesday near the foot of the table and some fans thinking the result unlikely to be in their favour, why part with so much money?

It isn't a bad turn out actually and probably more than there'd be at the Lane if the boot was on the other foot (so to speak).

Maybe Wednesday fans are tired of lining their chairman's pockets, seeing little by way of return, in team investment and so on.

The attendence is the highest in the Championship this season, isn't it?

Wednesday made it very difficult for the home fans

This is true. I'm a proud part-timer (I like to pick and choose which games I see), but imposing conditions where you have to attend certain other games to qualify for a ticket just seems ridiculously unfair to me - not everyone can afford to pay extra in addition to the one match you do want (and not everyone can make it to the other games anyway)!

Still, if they carry on with their current form, they'll be paying us to watch. ;)

A simpler explanation might be that with Wednesday near the foot of the table and some fans thinking the result unlikely to be in their favour, why part with so much money?

It isn't a bad turn out actually and probably more than there'd be at the Lane if the boot was on the other foot (so to speak).

Maybe Wednesday fans are tired of lining their chairman's pockets, seeing little by way of return, in team investment and so on.

The attendence is the highest in the Championship this season, isn't it?

Fair enough - a more emotive answer - and, by the way, my question really didn't have any implied criticism.

So, as a person who has been to one Wednesday game this season, would I have been able to fill one of those empty seats or would I not even qualify to buy a ticket?

This is true. I'm a proud part-timer (I like to pick and choose which games I see), but imposing conditions where you have to attend certain other games to qualify for a ticket just seems ridiculously unfair to me - not everyone can afford to pay extra in addition to the one match you do want (and not everyone can make it to the other games anyway)!

Still, if they carry on with their current form, they'll be paying us to watch. ;)

Ah, you answered my question whilst I was composing it!

Not only that the neutral could not go, neither the occasional fan which is a shame. on a sport that requires customers, and being 25 million in debt or so, it dose seem silly that if we turn away 6,000 people, we are throwing away around £100,000 ....dose this make sense to any one

Not only that the neutral could not go, neither the occasional fan which is a shame. on a sport that requires customers, and being 25 million in debt or so, it dose seem silly that if we turn away 6,000 people, we are throwing away around £100,000 ....dose this make sense to any one

It's a fair point.

Does Arsenal/Spurs, Everton/Liverpool, Man City/Man United, Newcastle/Sunderland etc etc lose such capacity with surely a similar need for strict segregation?

;) what man u lost on 6k empty seats, they'd have made up for in ten minutes on the sales of their strips:-

"whoops! we havent had a new strip put out for 45 mins... quick! Get one put out!"

;)

PT

The twist to this by the way is. the neutrals the odd game wednesdayite that cant afford to go to all the games........Went to bramall lane and watched it for 12 Quid........

Or is the attendance actually reflective of demand? Put it this way, I would have come to sample the atmosphere if I knew I could have got a ticket - just assumed it would sell out.

Those are the only reasons. I am confident that Hillsborough would have had a 50k plus crowd. Put a neutral venue in there and we'd fit 80k into a stadium between us.

There was purchasing conditions that stopped the majority although i persuaded my way aroudn thsi to get a ticket. Then there was a number of seats used to segregate the fans. But i couldn't see 6000 free seats at all.

It's a fair point.

Does Arsenal/Spurs, Everton/Liverpool, Man City/Man United, Newcastle/Sunderland etc etc lose such capacity with surely a similar need for strict segregation?

these teams have higher percentage rates of season ticket holder so wouldnt have as many spare seats.

although yes that is correct roughly £100,000 would have been lost on the derby game, it would have been re-made back up on the games where you have tto get the stubs from, with increased attendances.

this enabled segregation to its best possible way (ie not many united fans will go to both previous games to get a ticket for derby game)