Term time school holidays

22 hours ago, woodview said:

Its good that the ONS has helped you understand what a wage is if you're poor or well off.

What you're still missing, is why people take the £60 hit. Holidays are cheaper in term time, so they take the cheap holiday, and even with the £60 added, it makes it affordable.

Lots of alien concepts, I know.

What makes you think I don't understand that.  We all know that holidays are considerably cheaper in term time.

On 08/03/2019 at 12:09, El Cid said:

I am sure they do that, but if you earn £35,000+; £60 is meaningless.

The point you apparently missed is that El Cid claimed that £60 is meaningless to a family with a slightly less than average income and a larger than average household.

21 hours ago, willman said:

What is there to debate really? Should we as a society be encouraging our children to lie on our behalf or do the moral thing and pay the fine ?

It comes around every year and it is unlikely to change,in fact this is a reprisal of 2017 thread with a new poster questioning whether pay or lie. 

There is a fine, it can hurt some in the pocket, it can have no affect on others.

If people are so insistent in taking their kids out of school they really should just put up or shut up. That isn't to stifle debate , its just my opinion on the issue. Just like speeding and parking tickets, whether you like them or not they're going to need paying.

I don't think we're debating lying about it.  We're debating about whether the fine should exist at all aren't we?

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

What makes you think I don't understand that.  We all know that holidays are considerably cheaper in term time.

The point you apparently missed is that El Cid claimed that £60 is meaningless to a family with a slightly less than average income and a larger than average household.

I don't think we're debating lying about it.  We're debating about whether the fine should exist at all aren't we?

The question was asked by the person who reopened the thread,people debated it. It all becomes one really.

Well, for the record I don't think that asking your children to lie is a very good idea.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 07:20, Cyclone said:

The parents should be fined whatever amount it costs the school to educate their absent child for the length of the holiday.

39 minutes ago, Hots on said:

The parents should be fined whatever amount it costs the school to educate their absent child for the length of the holiday.

The school costs are the same whether the child is there or not, there's another 29 kids in the class. Can you see any cases where it is justified, and the parent has to make an informed choice???

Think about:

Lack of parent -child quality time in modern world

Parents who can't get holidays rota'd at term times

kids who would never go abroad if parents didn't do this

Also think, about the kids age / circumstances. If they are struggling, and it's just before GCSEs , it's a stupid decision taking them to benidorm. If they are at a less critical phase and doing ok, time on holiday can be one of the best experiences they'll get emotionally and educationally.

It's not always black and white.

Whilst agreeing that kids should not be missing school I have always thought that the odd week really doesn't make that much difference, and if it means the family can have a holiday then it's fine. At the moment, with the travel industry in turmoil post covid suppression, it may even be the difference between being able to go on holiday and not.

We all know that the government were quite happy for school kids to miss about 7 months of school during the pandemic (despite the fact kids were never at any significant risk from Covid......), so I took it as read that they would quietly drop the fines post pandemic - other than for parents who took the p***.  After all how can they, with a straight face, fine parents for taking their kids out for one week when they took them out for about thirty weeks.... 

Imagine my shock this week when I heard two sets of parents I know had been fined for taking their kids on holiday !

Talk about soddin' hypocrisy, and politicians wonder why people have no respect for them ?

The school (a primary) are blaming the council so I was so incensed I wrote to my councillor but she implied it was down to the school.

I can understand why neither want to accept responsibility for this, it stinks to high heaven.

Edited by Chekhov

Perhaps it is more important that children attend school in term time to help in catching up on the schooling that they missed.

You cannot change what happened over the last 2+ years but you can address the issues arising.

Peak holiday costs have always been an issue but I can see why sanctions should apply to parents who take their kids out of school.

51 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Whilst agreeing that kids should not be missing school I have always thought that the odd week really doesn't make that much difference, and if it means the family can have a holiday then it's fine. At the moment, with the travel industry in turmoil post covid suppression, it may even be the difference between being able to go on holiday and not.

We all know that the government were quite happy for school kids to miss about 7 months of school during the pandemic (despite the fact kids were never at any significant risk from Covid......), so I took it as read that they would quietly drop the fines post pandemic - other than for parents who took the p***.  After all how can they, with a straight face, fine parents for taking their kids out for one week when they took them out for about thirty weeks.... 

Imagine my shock this week when I heard two sets of parents I know had been fined for taking their kids on holiday !

Talk about soddin' hypocrisy, and politicians wonder why people have no respect for them ?

The school (a primary) are blaming the council so I was so incensed I wrote to my councillor but she implied it was down to the school.

I can understand why neither want to accept responsibility for this, it stinks to high heaven.

You really are getting desperate now 

5 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

And why is that ?

I have spoken to a few other parents about this and they all think it is little short of scandalous.

Let's remind ourselves of the facts :

"We did shut the schools for 30 weeks because we don't think education is important enough to keep them open (despite the fact kids were at no risk from Covid), but now we are going to fine you if you take your child out for one week."

I am surprised you cannot see that is stinking hypocrisy.

Edited by Chekhov

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

And why is that ?

I have spoken to a few other parents about this and they all think it is little short of scandalous.

Let's remind ourselves of the facts :

"We did shut the schools for 30 weeks because we don't think education is important enough to keep them open (despite the fact kids were at no risk from Covid), but now we are going to fine you if you take your child out for one week."

I am surprised you cannot see that is stinking hypocrisy.

Where is that quote from, please?

Just checking that it is the ‘fact’ that you allege it is.  Because without source/attribution, it looks awfully like opinion dressed as a fake quote, misrepresented as a ‘fact’.

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Where is that quote from, please?

Just checking that it is the ‘fact’ that you allege it is.  Because without source/attribution, it looks awfully like opinion dressed as a fake quote, misrepresented as a ‘fact’.

Hold on, are you saying they didn't shut the schools for 30 weeks ?

Where were you between March 2020 and March 2021 ?

Just to cover all bases, if you don't believe the fact that the schools were shut for about 7 months, read this....... :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_of_the_COVID-19_pandemic_on_education_in_the_United_Kingdom

Or are you saying you don't believe kids were at pretty much no risk from Covid ? Well we knew that in March 2020 :

BBC-News-Imperial-college-SAGE-Covid-dea

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

He's so far down the rabbit hole he can't stop.