Term time school holidays

52 minutes ago, neworderishere said:

wow! now there is a bitter message! actually no they didn't need to give up on them they did very well thanks in fact better than most but they didn't need restricting to when their parents who were/are self employed could take time off for holidays.

just for info my kids were lucky enough to a great deal of the world and its cultures.

well said. Maybe poster who made the snidy remark would have benefited from experiences that built people skills, rather than sweeping statements about people and kids they know nothing of.

Another reason schools hate parents taking kids out in term time is that it impacts their performance targets!

One of my daughters was due to take a "SATS" exam a few years ago but we had already booked flights the morning of that SATS exam, the school were actually going to send a teacher at 6am to the airport to sit with her whilst she completed the exam! she was 11 ffs! it turned out the school a very well know catholic junior had scored top marks in previous years and so were desperate to keep on their target.

6 hours ago, neworderishere said:

just tell them you are educating your son especially at that age, i never had a problem taking my kids out for up to 2 weeks, when questioned i gave a list of the educational things we did and learning life skills. never heard a thing back.

As you later state that your kids are now adults Im guessing the rules were different then.
When mine were in school I took them out in term time once, but had to fill out a request form that the Headteacher then okayed because theyd both previously had very good attendance.
I dont think the fines came in till a few years later.

6 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

As you later state that your kids are now adults Im guessing the rules were different then.
When mine were in school I took them out in term time once, but had to fill out a request form that the Headteacher then okayed because theyd both previously had very good attendance.
I dont think the fines came in till a few years later.

The fines were still around at that time Nikki, we still had to request time and fill in forms, maybe it is more stringent know i dont know/ but i do know there are plenty of parents who are self employed and fixed holidays are just not an option.

We've got a private villa with its own pool. He's going to be swimming every day, eating out and learning about foreign foods.

He'll learn more about swimming in those 2 weeks than he's done in years of swimming lessons.

Nothing wrong with telling your kids to spin a little white lie about being unwell.

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:10, neworderishere said:

Did that list of "educational things" include spelling, grammar and punctuation?

Ha Ha! Ex-teacher by any chance? My kids learnt all that and much more, and both are very successful. Now in the big, wide world after not being mollycoddled. They most certainly didn't get away with anything!

My bold and corrections in same for you.

Amazing how your kids could learn that studd when clearly you didn't though... ;)

5 minutes ago, DnAuK said:

My bold and corrections in same for you.

Amazing how your kids could learn that studd when clearly you didn't though... ;)

i should check you're own post Pedant!!!😆"studd"

Edited by neworderishere

On 06/03/2019 at 13:59, Cyclone said:

How can you go straight to court?  Court is only involved for non payment of the fine, so if they didn't attempt to levy a fine then...  no court.

The fines are issued under section 444(1) of the 1996 education act, however although Sheffield don't tend to do this, some LA's are going straight to court under section 444(1a) which is an aggravated offence.  I'm in a couple of FB groups including Jon Platts (the guy from the Isle of Wight  who took his case all the way and finally lost, meaning that ANY unauthorised absence  can now be classed as a criminal offence) and so many people ask for advice on these matters in these groups. 

There is no right of appeal against a Fixed Penalty Notice. If this is not paid, the Local Authority can proceed to prosecution or withdraw the notice. The Local Authority can also prosecute parents for non-attendance without issuing a Fixed Penalty Notice. Only the Local Authority can prosecute parents and they must fund all associated costs. Local authorities must conduct its investigations in line with the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (PACE)

https://childlawadvice.org.uk/information-pages/school-attendance-and-absence/

Edited by mrsb73

The fine is only £60/parent.  I'll just pay it if I need to.

13 hours ago, mrsb73 said:

The fines are issued under section 444(1) of the 1996 education act, however although Sheffield don't tend to do this, some LA's are going straight to court under section 444(1a) which is an aggravated offence.  I'm in a couple of FB groups including Jon Platts (the guy from the Isle of Wight  who took his case all the way and finally lost, meaning that ANY unauthorised absence  can now be classed as a criminal offence) and so many people ask for advice on these matters in these groups. 

There is no right of appeal against a Fixed Penalty Notice. If this is not paid, the Local Authority can proceed to prosecution or withdraw the notice. The Local Authority can also prosecute parents for non-attendance without issuing a Fixed Penalty Notice. Only the Local Authority can prosecute parents and they must fund all associated costs. Local authorities must conduct its investigations in line with the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (PACE)

https://childlawadvice.org.uk/information-pages/school-attendance-and-absence/

Fair enough, thanks.

15 hours ago, mrsb73 said:

There is no right of appeal against a Fixed Penalty Notice. If this is not paid, the Local Authority can proceed to prosecution or withdraw the notice.

You can just refuse to pay the fine, they don't usually take you to court. Although now that the law has not been changed, they may feel that there are grounds to prosecute.

More people should refuse to pay. These fines are just a tax on the poor, they charge double to two-parent families. Surely that should be challenged?

40 minutes ago, El Cid said:

You can just refuse to pay the fine, they don't usually take you to court. Although now that the law has not been changed, they may feel that there are grounds to prosecute.

More people should refuse to pay. These fines are just a tax on the poor, they charge double to two-parent families. Surely that should be challenged?

The poor can't afford holidays.

If you can waste hundreds of quid on an holiday abroad then budget an extra £60 for taking the kids out of school or comply with the law.