Term time school holidays

Sorry, you said July so I just picked the 1st Sat.

With more schools becoming academies it is possible for them to set their own term times, with agreement of all concerned.

Same as rush hour, there is no need for this 19th century work time rule

Did you think that the only alternative to Barbados was to stay in the UK? Or did you just strawman me?

If you can't afford a holiday to B in term time, go and stay in a eurocamp tent in France.

]

Sorry for late reply.

'strawman'? what is this? Not knowing sahib. :(

Due to modern things like AirBnb you can always find a good place to stay.

But it is the flights prices that rise amazingly.

Anyone who has ever been on a flight with package tour type people will never want to experience it again.

Why not make the summer school holidays just, say, 3 weeks in September, and the long holidays over the winter months?

This would be good in many ways.

Heating costs of schools dramatically reduced,

No lost days due to teachers being snowed off, and having a days skive,

No having to put up with screaming kids when you are trying to relax.

It would be a winner for all concerned.

Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post

And a four year old doesn't appreciate the experience of that country and would be perfectly happy on the beach in Scarborough.

Rubbish. My lad absolutely loved swimming in the sea teeming with fish, and with the turtles even more. And he will defn remember it, though I accept that may be partly down to the constant reminders he`ll get from the videos (I filmed it on my underwater camera) and pictures already on our walls.

He would like playing on the beach in Scarborough, but not in Jan/Feb when we were in Barbados. And at that time of year the water would too cold to even paddle in much less swim in, in fact it was too cold to paddle in in late April when we went the other year.

You are jesting i hope?

If you can find cheap accommodation in Britain during the school holidays, then you are doing well.

AirBNB, I've booked an unoccupied terraced house for a week at the seaside for £50 a night.

Sorry for late reply.

Anyone who has ever been on a flight with package tour type people will never want to experience it again.

Why not make the summer school holidays just, say, 3 weeks in September, and the long holidays over the winter months?

Jet2 aren`t bad, you get a crucial extra couple of inches leg room and the seats are fixed back so the passenger in front can`t recline into your face.

On the other hand, you can't recline in your seat, which is pretty rubbish.

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 15:33 ----------

Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post

And a four year old doesn't appreciate the experience of that country and would be perfectly happy on the beach in Scarborough.

Rubbish. My lad absolutely loved swimming in the sea teeming with fish, and with the turtles even more. And he will defn remember it, though I accept that may be partly down to the constant reminders he`ll get from the videos (I filmed it on my underwater camera) and pictures already on our walls.

He would like playing on the beach in Scarborough, but not in Jan/Feb when we were in Barbados. And at that time of year the water would too cold to even paddle in much less swim in, in fact it was too cold to paddle in in late April when we went the other year.

So it was a winter holiday now. I'm really not sure why you even mentioned it. You didn't take him out of school did you?

AirBNB, I've booked an unoccupied terraced house for a week at the seaside for £50 a night.

I have booked AirBnb many times, but not in England.

Seaside holidays in England are not for me I am afraid.

There are only so many slot machine arcades a man can stand.

The reason I love places like Fuerteventura, is rising in the morning, and seeing a volcanic cone at the end of the road.

You don't get views like that in Skegness. :cool:

Sorry for late reply.

It's where you counter a point that I didn't make.

So I say that there are cheaper options than Barbados and you say in response, the UK costs more than foreign holidays. You were challenging an assertion I hadn't made.

Except for the parents and children...

Oh, and I suppose the teachers who'd rather have time off in the summer.

So in fact, lose, lose, all round.

Travel adds quite a bit more I'd suggest. Is it a seaside villa? South of France? For three people?

If so, please could you link, as I could find nothing in July for under £1500. You'd be doing me a favour!

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 14:31 ----------

All seemed to be over £1k when I just looked?

Plus they're tents. You can get a tent in the UK cheaper still.

Try this: Villa in France

It's probably not exactly what you want or where you want it but it's certainly doable for the price.

With two driving it's possible to get to Perpignan in a day so travel costs are just the ferry, fuel and food.

Guest sibon
Try this: Villa in France

It's probably not exactly what you want or where you want it but it's certainly doable for the price.

With two driving it's possible to get to Perpignan in a day so travel costs are just the ferry, fuel and food.

And tolls. Unless you fancy a very long drive on the RN.

It's where you counter a point that I didn't make.

So I say that there are cheaper options than Barbados and you say in response, the UK costs more than foreign holidays. You were challenging an assertion I hadn't made.

Except for the parents and children...

Oh, and I suppose the teachers who'd rather have time off in the summer.

So in fact, lose, lose, all round.

For a start I would not advocate a holiday in the Caribbean.

It is too far to go for a holiday where you are not respected.

You can go and be disrespected with far shorter flights in Europe. ;)

(It does English people good to be disrespected, to stop us getting highfalutin ideas about silly things, like being better than our fellow Europeans.)

If teachers want better holiday prospects, they would be better following my idea of staggered holidays, spread throughout the year.