Term time school holidays

Don`t agree with that at all. My 3 year old (now just 4) won`t even swim in Tenerife in January (water temp approx. 20 degrees), there`s absolutely no chance of him swimming in the sea anywhere around the UK. We've just come back from Barbados (we spoilt ourselves because we've just moved house) and on his 4th birthday he went swimming with turtles, a fabulous life experience I`m sure you`ll agree, and probably one that very few 4 year olds have ever done.

Possibly the most first world problem ever.

My child won't swim in Tenerife, it's far too cold. It's Barbados or better, nothing less!

Just as a side note, my five year old girl goes in the sea in Newquay. Your little fella needs to toughen up if girls are able to swim in the UK ;)

I recall learning to swim in my local swimming baths and no turtles were needed at all.....

I think we`re missing the point here somewhat. Nobody goes to Barbados, or even Spain, to learn to swim. It`s for the experience of that country, and what it has to offer. There are no turtles to swim with anywhere near Sheffield......

And a four year old doesn't appreciate the experience of that country and would be perfectly happy on the beach in Scarborough.

A holiday in barbados is not a right, if you can afford to go during school holidays, great. If you can't, then don't go there. "I want to go to Barbados" is not a justification for taking your child out of school, when the alternative is to go somewhere in the school holidays at the same price but not quite as nice.

Possibly the most first world problem ever.

My child won't swim in Tenerife, it's far too cold. It's Barbados or better, nothing less!

Just as a side note, my five year old girl goes in the sea in Newquay. Your little fella needs to toughen up if girls are able to swim in the UK ;)

I`m assuming he`ll be more amenable to swimming in cooler water as he gets older. He`ll have to if he`s to swim in the sea because I can`t see us going to Barbados again anytime soon. Don`t get me wrong, he loved t over there all the fish in the sea and stuff, it`s fabulous, but it`s expensive, and certainly not worth going to for only one week in the February half term......

And a four year old doesn't appreciate the experience of that country and would be perfectly happy on the beach in Scarborough.

A holiday in barbados is not a right, if you can afford to go during school holidays, great. If you can't, then don't go there. "I want to go to Barbados" is not a justification for taking your child out of school, when the alternative is to go somewhere in the school holidays at the same price but not quite as nice.

You are jesting i hope?

If you can find cheap accommodation in Britain during the school holidays, then you are doing well.

England is always more expensive than going abroad, and for the most part, cold and wet as well.

The temperature here is 7 degrees, in the Canaries it is 24 degrees, and not a slot machine to be seen.

You are jesting i hope?

If you can find cheap accommodation in Britain during the school holidays, then you are doing well.

England is always more expensive than going abroad, and for the most part, cold and wet as well.

The temperature here is 7 degrees, in the Canaries it is 24 degrees, and not a slot machine to be seen.

I've paid £700 for a holiday for three to Newquay in the summer. Nice caravan, right on the beach, in July.

Find me anywhere abroad for that? Seriously, I tried. I couldn't find anything under £1,500.

You are jesting i hope?

Did you think that the only alternative to Barbados was to stay in the UK? Or did you just strawman me?

If you can't afford a holiday to B in term time, go and stay in a eurocamp tent in France.

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 13:34 ----------

I've paid £700 for a holiday for three to Newquay in the summer. Nice caravan, right on the beach, in July.

Find me anywhere abroad for that? Seriously, I tried. I couldn't find anything under £1,500.

Eurocamp, France, July, 2 adults, 1 child, £416, 1 week, get yourself there of course. Approx halfway down the Atlantic coast, below Nantes.

http://www.eurocamp.co.uk/campsites/vendee/vn017-les-ecureuils/ataglance.html

Edited by Cyclone

You can get a villa in France for under £600 for a week in August. Travel adds in another £200 but it's possibly better than a caravan in Newquay.

You can get a villa in France for under £600 for a week in August. Travel adds in another £200 but it's possibly better than a caravan in Newquay.

Travel adds quite a bit more I'd suggest. Is it a seaside villa? South of France? For three people?

If so, please could you link, as I could find nothing in July for under £1500. You'd be doing me a favour!

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 14:31 ----------

Eurocamp, France, July, 2 adults, 1 child, £416, 1 week, get yourself there of course. Approx halfway down the Atlantic coast, below Nantes.

http://www.eurocamp.co.uk/campsites/vendee/vn017-les-ecureuils/ataglance.html

All seemed to be over £1k when I just looked?

Plus they're tents. You can get a tent in the UK cheaper still.

But it is up to Andy1976, or any other family/individual, to decide where and when they go on holiday.

Everyone's personal circumstances are different, its nothing to do with anyone else.

Travel adds quite a bit more I'd suggest. Is it a seaside villa? South of France? For three people?

If so, please could you link, as I could find nothing in July for under £1500. You'd be doing me a favour!

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 14:31 ----------

All seemed to be over £1k when I just looked?

Plus they're tents. You can get a tent in the UK cheaper still.

Well, I literally just did that search and that campsite is available for £417 for the 1st July.

The fact is that you can have a foreign holiday for a reasonable price. And even so, it's not some kind of human right. If someone can't afford it, go somewhere cheaper (is what I said about Barbados).

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 14:39 ----------

But it is up to Andy1976, or any other family/individual, to decide where and when they go on holiday.

Everyone's personal circumstances are different, its nothing to do with anyone else.

Taking children out of school is something to do with the state though, which is what the entire conversation is about.

Personally I think it should be down to the parents decision.

But, that doesn't mean that I'll let the frankly odd excuses slide, Barbados to learn to swim, my child won't swim anywhere else! They'll remember the turtles. No they won't, they're 4.

Well, I literally just did that search and that campsite is available for £417 for the 1st July.

The fact is that you can have a foreign holiday for a reasonable price. And even so, it's not some kind of human right. If someone can't afford it, go somewhere cheaper (is what I said about Barbados).

I'm in agreement with you. Complete agreement.

Just as a side note though - July 1st, the kids are still in school. I thought all this was about being able to get holidays in the school holidays.