Term time school holidays

It's entirely up to the school at the end of the day isn't it. No matter what we may or may not believe. :thumbsup:

That would be chaos.

That's the reality. Every school decides whether a request qualifies for exceptional or not itself. There is no definition in law, there is no higher authority making the decision.

And it's not chaos.

That's the reality. Every school decides whether a request qualifies for exceptional or not itself. There is no definition in law, there is no higher authority making the decision.

And it's not chaos.

A BBC investigation has found that 35 councils in England have changed their policy on fining parents for term-time holidays.

Each local authority draws up its own policy on what to do with cases that are sent to them and as result of the judgement many have had to look again at the detail.

I am sure the policy of the school makes a difference too, some may not want to be seen to be helping to give parents fines of hundreds of pounds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38774418

If it has done nothing else except costing a working man a lot of money, this has opened it up for debate.

When the government comes to its senses, they will realise the whole school holiday and term time subject needs re-evaluating to take into account modern working practices.

Look around at present, and during any school holidays, and you will see most children are being looked after by their grandparents, during these crazy long teachers breaks, (as they used to be called), as both parents are working to make ends meet.

This is not really a good situation, is it?

When the government comes to its senses, they will realise the whole school holiday and term time subject needs re-evaluating to take into account modern working practices.

They send their kids to private schools, where they have longer holidays and no fines.

Don't forget that cost is not the only consideration for people taking tem time holidays.

Thousands of parents are employed in the holiday industry and struggle to get time off in school holidays.

Nearer to home I've done work for two firms who have maintenance contracts with local education authorities who, understandably from a Health & Safety viewpoint, demand that the maintenance work is carried out at schools when pupils are off site.

Workers at both firms are asked not to take holidays when schools are off; they have no option but to take holidays in school term time.

They send their kids to private schools, where they have longer holidays and no fines.

I live in hope that one day they may listen to the people, instead of riding rough-shod over us.

A forlorn hope. I know judging by their present behaviour. :(

You get a job you work the hours designated.

None of the above people have to work hours later than the rota unpaid....

Its a good job teachers do what they do so that parents can get free child care,God forbid they should have to bring them up themselves - that includes those that sit at home all day.

I think until the law is changed people should obey the law OR be penalised.

Teachers do not provide free child care; they provide education which I think we all accept is a good idea.

Are you saying that in your eyes there are no resaon's at all when term time holidays should not be taken?

Are you saying that in your eyes there are no resaon's at all when term time holidays should not be taken?

Schools need guidelines, at the moment they are being told that holidays cannot be 'exceptional circumstances', this is wrong.

Don't forget that cost is not the only consideration for people taking tem time holidays.

Thousands of parents are employed in the holiday industry and struggle to get time off in school holidays.

Nearer to home I've done work for two firms who have maintenance contracts with local education authorities who, understandably from a Health & Safety viewpoint, demand that the maintenance work is carried out at schools when pupils are off site.

Workers at both firms are asked not to take holidays when schools are off; they have no option but to take holidays in school term time.

Absolutely.

Two other examples :

We want to take our lad to see the carnival in Tenerife, we think it`d be a great cultural experience for him. Ironically it was due to take place during the school holiday, but the latter was moved so they no longer coincide.

We can`t really afford it at the moment (possibly never again in fact ! ) but we`ve got family in both Australia and S Africa and we`d obviously love to take our son over. Not just to see the family but also to see totally different countries. Nobody flies all that way for only a week, or in the case of Oz, two weeks. Their winter is our summer. Nobody would fly out of our summer to go and spend time in winter somewhere else, the very idea is ridiculous. You`d fly out there in our winter. But the schools don`t have long holidays in our winter.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 09:22 ----------

Schools need guidelines, at the moment they are being told that holidays cannot be 'exceptional circumstances', this is wrong.

I think the Welsh system sounds about right. If I`ve got this right the kids can have up to 10 days a year out.

Edited by Justin Smith

Absolutely.

Two other examples :

We want to take our lad to see the carnival in Tenerife, we think it`d be a great cultural experience for him. Ironically it was due to take place during the school holiday, but the latter was moved so they no longer coincide.

We can`t really afford it at the moment (possibly never again in fact ! ) but we`ve got family in both Australia and S Africa and we`d obviously love to take our son over. Not just to see the family but also to see totally different countries. Nobody flies all that way for only a week, or in the case of Oz, two weeks. Their winter is our summer. Nobody would fly out of our summer to go and spend time in winter somewhere else, the very idea is ridiculous. You`d fly out there in our winter. But the schools don`t have long holidays in our winter.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 09:22 ----------

I think the Welsh system sounds about right. If I`ve got this right the kids can have up to 10 days a year out.

I was with you until you started saying that no one in their right mind would go to Australia in our Summer and their winter...at that point you kinda lost all credibility about it being a cultural holiday for your lad to learn! Also, have you ever seen the weather in Australia in their winter? It's pretty much hotter across the board than our Summer, Summer in Aus is oppressive in most parts except the very south. I don't have an issue at all with parents taking a pragmatic view of holidays as long as they consider the impact to their childs education and plan for that by having some time each day for schoolwork or genuine culture or education visits whilst on holiday, or at the very least a catch-up plan agreed with the teachers for when they get back to be done in YOUR time and not the schools.

I do agree with your second point though that all kids should be allowed to take a certain number of days off per year for any reason the parents chooses, anymore than the 10 does indeed need exceptional circumstances that does not include a holiday for ANY reason.

Would it be OK in your view for teachers to take holidays in term time?

Does 13 weeks holiday not offer enough flexibility?

To answer your question teachers should fit their holidays around their working commitments. Working commitments for teachers is 'term time's.

Term time is working time for millions of parents as evidenced by thousands of shops and businesses being operational today.