Term time school holidays

Ooo, nice dig at a job you don't perceive as being important.

Good job buddy!

No offence or dig intended to any hairdressers including my wife who was one at one time. :)

As a useful stepping stone, teaching kids to exercise logical thinking and critical appraisal objectively and consistently, might prove more useful ;)

Critical thinking was a unit offered in 6th Form (way back when) but basic economics wasn't a unit I remember being mandatory??

Critical thinking was a unit offered in 6th Form (way back when)
So, 16-18 year old?

That's coming way too late in the development of a child's thinking, IMHO. Should be much earlier, age 12 onwards.

but basic economics wasn't a unit I remember being mandatory??
Sorry, I don't know about British syllabus of old (read opening sentence of my post ;)), only the current one up to year 7.

Probably about time that loophole was closed as it seems to be widely abused, and it may also stop this from happening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36302054

How is it a loophole?

Deliberate policies are not "loopholes".

Isn't the rule that children must go to school itself an interference with family life?

Since people could learn any GCSE online, maybe there attendance rate is irrelevant, its how much effort they put in.

My daughters attendance was a poor 90%, but not that much different from the case in the news, but she has been attending loads of catch-up classes, they are not included in the published rates.

---------- Post added 16-05-2016 at 18:35 ----------

Councils respond to High Court ruling on term time holidays

"Blanket bans do not work and as today's High Court ruling shows, it's a system that is not always enforceable. We want to work with the Government to find a sensible solution whereby every family has the option to spend time together."

See more at: http://www.local.gov.uk/web/guest/media-releases/-/journal_content/56/10180/7824237/NEWS#sthash.AUpq8JHx.dpuf

I know what the ruling was, and I never agreed with the blanket ban anyway. But to say that "government shouldn't interfere in private life" or words to that effect is missing the point of government.

I have just returned from a family holiday in Morocco with my children aged 12,10, and 7.

the price was £1500 if I booked 2 weeks later it was £3200. I work hard and deserve a holiday and to spend some quality time with my children and give them a life experience.

my issue comes with the government this is just a money making scheme. 2 examples of this from my childs school.

last Friday they went on a trip to Jump inc. This has nothing to do with there education.

Also in year 6 there is a residential that kids can go on, they don't do school work, they do like rock climbing, bike riding, canoeing, this has nothing to do with there education but they can go for a week on that. if you cant afford to go on it the kids have to stay at school and do school work. So why is it ok for the school to take the kids on a jolly but not the parents?

also last year my Daughter had 7 different teachers in 9 months, this does nothing for her education but when the boot is on that foot it doesn't matter to the school.

I have just returned from a family holiday in Morocco with my children aged 12,10, and 7.

the price was £1500 if I booked 2 weeks later it was £3200. I work hard and deserve a holiday and to spend some quality time with my children and give them a life experience.

last Friday they went on a trip to Jump inc. This has nothing to do with there education.

Also in year 6 there is a residential that kids can go on, they don't do school work, they do like rock climbing, bike riding, canoeing, this has nothing to do with there education but they can go for a week on that. if you cant afford to go on it the kids have to stay at school and do school work. So why is it ok for the school to take the kids on a jolly but not the parents?

also last year my Daughter had 7 different teachers in 9 months, this does nothing for her education but when the boot is on that foot it doesn't matter to the school.

Anything out of the normal routine is good for learning, not learning GCSEs, but all learning is good.

I some countries a 7 year old would only just have started school; we are putting too much emphasis on GCSEs that will not help childrens future development.

There is a requirement in the curriculum to learn to swim, but many children do not learn to swim at school.

my issue comes with the government this is just a money making scheme. 2 examples of this from my childs school.

I am totally against the government policy of fining parents for taking children out of school for holidays in term time.

However I disagree with your statement that schools taking children on residential breaks is nothing to do with their education. They actually learn a lot on these breaks. It is often the first time the children have been away without their parents. The children have to do a lot of things for themselves which normally their parents would do for them such as decision making, keeping their rooms tidy, packing their own cases, managing their money etc. I could go on and on.... just think about it. It isn't just a 'Jolly' it is all part of the education of life..... just like most family holidays are.

We used to take our children on holiday during term time ( although not at exam time. ) Both of them have done extremely well in their chosen careers, my son is an IT manager and my daughter is a teacher.

We had something similar to the residential week Marksteeler has mentioned.

IIRC it coincided with study leave for GCSE students.

I think it was abit of a jolly for the teachers, an opportunity for some to go on holiday as they weren't all needed in school during that time.

I am totally against the government policy of fining parents for taking children out of school for holidays in term time.

How do you feel about a Government minister telling schools to ignore the courts?

Nick Gibb says headteachers should continue applying rules that allow parents to be fined over unauthorised absences.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jun/09/minister-tells-schools-to-ignore-high-court-ruling-on-term-time-holidays

Have the rules changed for taking kids out of school in term time? I've seen that someone has won a high court case but Ive still been sent a penalty notice, even though my child had 93% attendance at the end of the year?