Term time school holidays

Hi

This has got into the news this week. No longer will parents get the thumbs up for term time school holidays. Instead it is likely to be a £60 fine; or a £120 fine if you are a couple.

Its bad enough having to pay a fine, but twice as bad for married couples. At least the Tories are due to recognise marriage in the tax system, so they know who has to pay double :loopy:

• Like 1

I hate this system. My children are all grown and almost flown now, but us lads at work always make sure the staff with kids get the six weeks hol, and other term hols, and the rest of us are happy to mooch about with whats left over. I feel so sorry for parents today, not only having this crap fine system watching over them, but also the price of package family holidays during the hol terms. It makes me wonder if there really is a conspiracy theory, designed to just make every body thoroughly peed-off.

My brother had to pay £90! And that was two years ago.

A friends tells me that the fine system (FPN) is unenforcable if its just a few days. How can they say that the child hasnt attended school on a regular basis, if its just a few days?

A friends tells me that the fine system (FPN) is unenforcable if its just a few days. How can they say that the child hasnt attended school on a regular basis, if its just a few days?

I took my daughter out of school 3 days before the summer holidays. She had to get permission from the headteacher and her mums signature. I had to explain to the headteacher that i needed to bring her up to Scotland to get the flight and that i only had a small window of opportunity (due to my job) to take her away. My daughter told me the head was rather reluctant to ok it, and that next year it wont happen. Well we will see about that! I aint having no jumped up teacher dictating when i can and cannot take her on holiday.

My daughter is doing well at school and her attendance record is excellent. So a few days early aint going to make a difference. The kids only wind down anyhow the last week of term.

i work in a school and this week we had to send letters out to all parents telling them of these new rules. it seems a crazy system to me (and to the school) and i can't see how it can work.apparently there are to be no exceptions this year.people are told they have to make an appointment to see the head if they want to try and get round it but the head has to say "no." crazy and like has been said, makes life more difficult for everyone...including the school who have to deal with the rightly upset parents :loopy:

Am I right in thinking this will apply to those who take their children abroad for weeks at a time to see the 'relatives'?

yep - and the school i work in (in leeds) has a very large number of families where this would apply.like i said, i can't see how on earth it is going to work

Am I right in thinking this will apply to those who take their children abroad for weeks at a time to see the 'relatives'?

The family is important, its a human right, so long as people dont take the <REMOVED>

Edited by esme
Masked swearing

Will these fines apply to independent schools? I suspect not given the fees already paid and lack of state control. Does anyone know for sure?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

no idea re. independant schools. i know it's a stupid question but do they keep to all the other government guidelines?if they do then i guess it will.i didn't even know about these new regulations re. what they are calling "unauthorised absence" until i got back in september. it seems to have somehow just crept in under the radar