Possible Aldi to be built in Swallownest

Methinks Iamsparticus works for Aldi - the numbers came from Aldi . .:suspect:

---------- Post added 21-09-2013 at 17:13 ----------

OMG - just realised the huge error in my numbers . . .

store opens 8am - 9pm

13 hours @ 42 vmph = 546

NOT 542 as I so idiotically stated

Also - no issue over the speed limit - rather the change in risk profile - more movements = more risk (volume + lane crossing). The problem is policing.

Is it wise to 'hope' there will be no accidents.

Aldi certainly are not concerned.

Forget the paranoia. If I worked for Aldi why would I be trying to assist objectors in advising them of the errors of their current approach?

Accepting the 546 is the Aldi figures of movements, which will have come from a trips database (probably TRICS) it is still less than 1 vehicle movement a minute. Aldi will be arguing that 273 customer visits by car a day isn't a 'significant' increase.

An increase in risk is not a reason for the whole scheme to be refused if mitigation can be introduced. First mitigation in this case is to reduce the speed limit to 30mph. There are fewer serious accidents on slower roads. if this isn't deemed adequate the 'big bang' solutions to mitigating the risk are a roundabout or signalised junction. This guarantees cars will be slower as they have to stop.

Until the full scheme drawings are presented the solution to any traffic issues aren't known. At the very least I expect a right turn lane as you head up the hill.

The Aldi will undoubtedly create some additional traffic in the immediate area, but it will also cause a reduction in traffic leaving Aston/Aughton/Swallownest heading to the Aldi or ASDA at Handsworth or to Sainsburys at Crystal Peaks. It may also cause a small reduction in traffic in the middle of Swallownest as some people go to Aldi instead of the over priced Co-op.

Personally I think it will be a useful addition to the local shops. I'm sorry to those whose view will be spoiled but development is inevitable I'm afraid given how much Aston and Swallownest have grown in the last decade or so.

Less paranoia- more flushing.

A RT slip wont resolve those exiting right.

Poor driving will be the biggest risk.

It still won't be policed.

The wine is cack.

Less paranoia- more flushing.

A RT slip wont resolve those exiting right.

Poor driving will be the biggest risk.

It still won't be policed.

The wine is cack.

Poor driving isn't under the control of nor the problem of Aldi.

Your attempt at saying right-turners will be an issue. There are already 3 junctions on that road where it's possible to turn right yet people manage it everyday.

---------- Post added 21-09-2013 at 19:10 ----------

However I will add, even though I'm not against it where it's planned. Rotherham Rd might be better as it'll stop the pikeys bringing that awful "fair" every year.

However I will add, even though I'm not against it where it's planned. Rotherham Rd might be better as it'll stop the pikeys bringing that awful "fair" every year.

Good point, plus it'll be less far for me to walk!

Actually I've just realised my error in replying to Lidl. (It's been a long week).

Clearly it's a troll account by one of the objectors trying to goad supporters which will invariably get the thread closed.

Actually I've just realised my error in replying to Lidl. (It's been a long week).

Clearly it's a troll account by one of the objectors trying to goad supporters which will invariably get the thread closed.

Too true, could it be the one who replied to an earlier post of mine saying (quote)Because of comments like this and the over use of the word Nimby I am leaving this discussion (end) have they created a new account to try and fool us all.

Re: new Aldi to be built

>Just what Sheffield needs, ANOTHER cheap store

The tone of the city just gets better and better !!

Re: new Aldi to be built

>Just what Sheffield needs, ANOTHER cheap store

The tone of the city just gets better and better !!

But it DOES need one in Swallownest otherwise you're limited to overpriced places because Co-op are prolific in the area. Other than Dels, who's prices have been creeping up from reasonable to that of overpriced like Co-op we've only got expensive "cornershops". An Aldi would redress that balance and bring healthy competition to the area which would lower prices on domestic goods.

?? Just to confirm you agree that a major store is required

putting lots of independent jobs at risk and onto welfare

Increasing the country debt - you are saying that this IS requred

What independent jobs are at risk?