Possible Aldi to be built in Swallownest

I couldn't make it , are these reports they refered to available online do you know ?

And as for your comment about the cycle lane , then you obviously have a problem with traffic congestion on Fence Hill already!

That's not congestion. That's the parents of Fence Hill pupils being inconsiderate and selfish by parking where they shouldn't.

From the Highway code:

You MUST NOT stop or park on

the carriageway or the hard shoulder of a motorway except in an emergency (see Rule 270)

a pedestrian crossing, including the area marked by the zig-zag lines (see Rule 191)

a clearway (see 'Traffic signs')

taxi bays as indicated by upright signs and markings

an urban clearway within its hours of operation, even when a broken white line is on your side of the road, except to pick up or set down passengers (see 'Traffic signs')

a road marked with double white lines, except to pick up or set down passengers

a tram or cycle lane during its period of operation

a cycle track

red lines, in the case of specially designated ‘red routes’, unless otherwise indicated by signs

DO NOT stop or park

near a school entrance

anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services

at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank

on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing

opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

near the brow of a hill or hump bridge

opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle

where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane

where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles

in front of an entrance to a property

on a bend

where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities

except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.

Went to the presentation re the proposed new Aldi on the field behind my house. It was like an episode of The Office. We had David Brent and sidekick making lots of placatory noises, and in answer to our questions "we are looking into it and awaiting a report". We counted an Ecology report, a noise pollution report, a report on traffic volume, a report on how many mothers use cars to school/to shop, a report on boundary issues, a report on how it will affect house prices, a report on what colour underwear they will be wearing whilst making the reports. All this without planning permission actually being submitted. Apparently Tesco and Morrisons have both been turned down, but the land IS earmarked for a retail outlet of some sort. I think we should have an OXFAM.

---------- Post added 18-09-2013 at 19:02 ----------

And as for your comment about the cycle lane , then you obviously have a problem with traffic congestion on Fence Hill already!

Unfortunately the above demonstrates how little people know of the current planning system and what Aldi are doing is normal process.

Aldi will have had discussions with Rotherham MBC and following that meeting they will have been advised what reports are required. The community consultation is undertaken before finalising the reports as there may be changes to the scheme. The reports then form part of the planning application.

Too many people are jumping the gun. The time to formally object is when the application is submitted, but they must be objections on planning grounds. Reading some comments elsewhere impact on house prices is not a planning ground, its a NIMBY argument and spurious anyway. Some buyers may see a supermarket closeby as a positive thing.

If Tesco and Morrisons have been turned down it suggests Rotherham MBC are concerned about the effect on local stores in Swallownest as Aldi are restricted from selling a whole range of things a Tesco/Morrisons would sell.

Edited by iamspartacus

Unfortunately the above demonstrates how little people know of the current planning system and what Aldi are doing is normal process.

Aldi will have had discussions with Rotherham MBC and following that meeting they will have been advised what reports are required. The community consultation is undertaken before finalising the reports as there may be changes to the scheme. The reports then form part of the planning application.

Too many people are jumping the gun. The time to formally object is when the application is submitted, but they must be objections on planning grounds. Reading some comments elsewhere impact on house prices is not a planning ground, its a NIMBY argument and spurious anyway. Some buyers may see a supermarket closeby as a positive thing.

If Tesco and Morrisons have been turned down it suggests Rotherham MBC are concerned about the effect on local stores in Swallownest as Aldi are restricted from selling a whole range of things a Tesco/Morrisons would sell.

Surely the point of yesterday's meeting was to explain what is happening for those who don't know. To me, the meeting was only slightly helpful. All the questions we had, like Fibutton said, were just responded with "we will run a report..."

Are they likely to have another meeting once the findings of these reports have been carried out?

Just from the people i have spoken to, and from what i have seen on various social media sites, the majority of people want the Aldi store to be built.

I can think of worse shops to have on that site. As for traffic taking shortcuts through the estate I doubt it with all the speed bumps. The Aldi at Handsworth is a welcome addition and has not caused any extra traffic a lot of local people use it instead of the Asda. I think that you will find it will only be the locals that use it and much cheaper than the co-op.

Here's a question I'd like to ask.

Assuming it goes through and Aldi is built, will those that are objecting refuse to use the supermarket on their doorstep and travel 'all the way' over the hill for little things like a pint of milk?

My guess will be no, they'll use it once it's open.

Surely the point of yesterday's meeting was to explain what is happening for those who don't know. To me, the meeting was only slightly helpful. All the questions we had, like Fibutton said, were just responded with "we will run a report..."

Are they likely to have another meeting once the findings of these reports have been carried out?

The Community Consultation is the only meeting prior to the application being submitted, it is too early for detailed reports to be written as they may not reflect the consultation comments. The responses will be analysed, any issues raised considered by the applicant and possibly incorporated into the design and reports and then the application will be made. After that it is in the formal planning system and representations can be made via the Council's Planning Portal website, by e-mail or letter. If it goes to Committee there should be a chance for those for and those against the scheme to speak.

Edited by iamspartacus

Just from the people i have spoken to, and from what i have seen on various social media sites, the majority of people want the Aldi store to be built.

Me too......can't wait.

Your statement in item 4 makes no sense at all, you say you live on West Park Drive but yet the proposed building will be just a tad over a 1/4 of a mile from your location, with a field and part of the new housing estate between you both. How can the car park/ flood lights and loading area be across the road from your house.? As for traffic calming its time that double yellow line were painted from the round-a-bout right up the upward side of Fence Hill to the traffic lights to stop the idiotic way parents park when taking/fetching their children from school.

Because of comments like this and the over use of the word Nimby I am leaving this discussion

Suggestion: Google Earth? Before a comment is made stating I am making no sense.

When something new being built may effect your children you may see my point.

I will let you have the one about parents parking as you are right on that one.

Edited by wigwham

This explains why no traffic reports were available yesterday. Traffic surveys have to be done outside of school holidays so school traffic and heavier commuter traffic can be taken into account.

Traffic at school drop of time is manic, but its only for about an hour a day, 190 days a year. An Aldi is open about 10 or so hours a day 360+ days a year, but the busiest time for Aldi traffic isn't school drop off or pick up times so conflict between road users is minimal. I suspect during the week traffic movements into the Aldi store will be lower than people imagine. Busier at weekends, but no school or commuter traffic then.