Possible Aldi to be built in Swallownest

A quick look on the Rotherham planning website reveals this site has been allocated for the location of a retail unit since 1999. Anyone who purchased a house on the new estate overlooking the field and bought it for the pleasant outlook should be asking questions of their solicitor as to why they weren't made aware of this fact before signing on the dotted line. Anyone who has lived there longer in the older houses had chance to object in the 1990s.

So Aldi have policy on their side. If they can show there is a lack of shopping in the area, not difficult as there is only a Coop so no competition they will have demand on their side - there may be other stores 5-10 minutes drive away, but despite what is said not everyone has a car and Swallownest is more convenient than the other stores mentioned.

Any arguments against need to be planning based - traffic generation, traffic management, layout and design, lighting, signage, disturbance during hours of operation are the details to scrutinise.

A quick look on the Rotherham planning website reveals this site has been allocated for the location of a retail unit since 1999. Anyone who purchased a house on the new estate overlooking the field and bought it for the pleasant outlook should be asking questions of their solicitor as to why they weren't made aware of this fact before signing on the dotted line. Anyone who has lived there longer in the older houses had chance to object in the 1990s.

So Aldi have policy on their side. If they can show there is a lack of shopping in the area, not difficult as there is only a Coop so no competition they will have demand on their side - there may be other stores 5-10 minutes drive away, but despite what is said not everyone has a car and Swallownest is more convenient than the other stores mentioned.

Any arguments against need to be planning based - traffic generation, traffic management, layout and design, lighting, signage, disturbance during hours of operation are the details to scrutinise.

Will the planners listen to consideration such as "I would rather see some nice stables there instead"? :hihi::hihi:

A quick look on the Rotherham planning website reveals this site has been allocated for the location of a retail unit since 1999.

I can't see anything on their planning site about this, theres definitely mention of open spaces in addition to houses, garages and sewers but the sheer number of planning applications in that small area might be hiding the one you're seeing from my view. I'll keep clicking. Might be worth a check of the original planning that was approved to see if that field was designated open space. Either way doesn't planning permission expire after a few years ?

If they can show there is a lack of shopping in the area, not difficult as there is only a Coop so no competition they will have demand on their side

3 co-ops, 1 in swallownest, 1 in aston and 1 at the local petrol station.

1 Dels opposite the co-op in swallownest.

Tess - looking at the leaflet I reckon it's the loading bay you'll have at the foot of your garden.

You need the policy part of the planning website, not the applications.

Click on planning, then policy, click on Unitary Development Plan in the second paragraph of the policy page, you then need map 2.

3 Coops demonstrates there is a lack of competition. This is not good for the consumer.

I can't see anything on their planning site about this, theres definitely mention of open spaces in addition to houses, garages and sewers but the sheer number of planning applications in that small area might be hiding the one you're seeing from my view. I'll keep clicking. Might be worth a check of the original planning that was approved to see if that field was designated open space. Either way doesn't planning permission expire after a few years ?

3 co-ops, 1 in swallownest, 1 in aston and 1 at the local petrol station.

1 Dels opposite the co-op in swallownest. Tess - looking at the leaflet I reckon it's the loading bay you'll have at the foot of your garden.

Land allocation use is different to planning permission (which does expire). The land allocation will remain until such time the planners decide to review and change it.

The retail you mention is just convenience retail. I'm afraid in this day and age the powers that be want to see that new housing areas are provided with everything they need (doctors, retail, etc etc) so residents dont need to travel far for anything. This is seen as environmentally more friendly. Sustainable is the buzz word. Whether it is or not, or whether we want it, is debatable.

Morning all

We received a leaflet through the door yesterday advising that there is a proposal to build a new Aldi store on the currently unused field on Sheffield Road/Park Hill in Swallownest. I've tried to look online but don't seem to be able to find anything to provide a link to.

Now I am all for supporting new businesses and creating new jobs, but this is going to be at the bottom of my back garden, and in the middle of a housing estate. At present, I look out of my window and see a nice field - if this is built, I will be staring at the car park! I'd say my view was bad, but some of my neighbours will be far worse. I dread to think what it will do to the local house prices.

If the Aldi is built, there will be a huge increase of traffic that the estate just won't be able to cope with. So many children play out on the streets because at the moment its relatively quiet, but if it goes ahead that will change, as everyone going to Aldi will be using the road throughout the estate as a shortcut.

The traffic in the area is already rubbish at rush hour, with parents parking all the way up Sheffield Road to pick their children up from Aston Fence. It'll be chaos with an Aldi there as well.

There is no need for an Aldi when there is one just 5 minutes down the road in Handsworth, and a Co-Op and Dells 2 minutes up the road. In addition, there are lots of empty areas on business parks nearby that would provide the same services to the same people, just in a different place.

There will be a meeting on Wednesday the 18th September from 3pm to 7pm to discuss this. I can't remember the location so it is something i'll have to clarify, but anyone with any questions are invited to turn up and have their say.

Edit - the meeting will be held at Christ Church Hall, Rotherham Road. This is up in Swallownest, near the roundabout and the tattoo shop. Please let your voice be heard!

Firstly, Rotherham Road - Not near the roundabout/tattoo parlour. Closest know 'landmarks' would be the crossroads/working mans club/Swallownest primary. To anyone that may go that isn't aware, Christ Church Hall looks like an old school prefab class-room. The fact that you got this wrong makes me think you're not a resident of the area at all.

Secondly. I welcome anything that provides jobs whilst sticking two fingers up at Co-op. Their mainstay argument for when Tesco wanted to build in Swallownest was that Tesco also wanted to put a Tesco Express in the existing Spar at Townend, creating a monopoly. Tesco was rejected on that basis. What have co-op since done? Bought out that Spar shop AND the petrol station creating the very issue they fought against. HYPOCRITES!

Thirdly, No kids do not play out on Sheffield Road (which is what you made insinuations towards) It's a major road and a busy one. There are 2 estates off Sheffield Road but those aren't through routes and the only traffic they see is either residents or vistors thereof. A supermarket would make no impact on that traffic level.

All your other "reasons" are just typical NIMBY and should be disregarded in that manner.

Firstly, Rotherham Road - Not near the roundabout/tattoo parlour. Closest know 'landmarks' would be the crossroads/working mans club/Swallownest primary. To anyone that may go that isn't aware, Christ Church Hall looks like an old school prefab class-room. The fact that you got this wrong makes me think you're not a resident of the area at all.

Secondly. I welcome anything that provides jobs whilst sticking two fingers up at Co-op. Their mainstay argument for when Tesco wanted to build in Swallownest was that Tesco also wanted to put a Tesco Express in the existing Spar at Townend, creating a monopoly. Tesco was rejected on that basis. What have co-op since done? Bought out that Spar shop AND the petrol station creating the very issue they fought against. HYPOCRITES!

Thirdly, No kids do not play out on Sheffield Road (which is what you made insinuations towards) It's a major road and a busy one. There are 2 estates off Sheffield Road but those aren't through routes and the only traffic they see is either residents or vistors thereof. A supermarket would make no impact on that traffic level.

All your other "reasons" are just typical NIMBY and should be disregarded in that manner.

Firstly - I most certainly do live on the estate. My house, and my car for that matter, is in the photo put through everyones door last night. How rude for you to suggest I am lying.

Secondly. I do agree with what you are saying, but I just feel like there are other areas, of equal distance away, that would do the job better.

As for your point about kids - of course I don't mean bleedin' Sheffield Road/Park Hill. I mean the main road through Aston Manor, which will become nothing but a shortcut for people trying to get into the Supermarket.

Finally, my "reasons" are my opinion and for that matter should be regarded just as much as your own.

I live in Swallownest and personally I welcome a new Aldi within walking distance/shorter driving distance. The only thing I would say is a more suitable site is the field at the top of the hill opposite the old Wetherby pub. This field is also designated as retail I believe and is more central to the village population, and has fewer nearby properties to blight.

I live in Swallownest and personally I welcome a new Aldi within walking distance/shorter driving distance. The only thing I would say is a more suitable site is the field at the top of the hill opposite the old Wetherby pub. This field is also designated as retail I believe and is more central to the village population, and has fewer nearby properties to blight.

I didn't know that was its design! That would be brilliant - close to the original location, but not near any houses.

Firstly - I most certainly do live on the estate. My house, and my car for that matter, is in the photo put through everyones door last night. How rude for you to suggest I am lying.

Secondly. I do agree with what you are saying, but I just feel like there are other areas, of equal distance away, that would do the job better.

As for your point about kids - of course I don't mean bleedin' Sheffield Road/Park Hill. I mean the main road through Aston Manor, which will become nothing but a shortcut for people trying to get into the Supermarket.

Finally, my "reasons" are my opinion and for that matter should be regarded just as much as your own.

You reasons are pure NIMBYism. The fact you would rather see some stables there instead isnt a valid objection.

If they want to build an Indian takeaway near me, they arent going to listen to an objection of "yeah, but I wanted a Chinese takeaway", are they?

You reasons are pure NIMBYism. The fact you would rather see some stables there instead isnt a valid objection.

If they want to build an Indian takeaway near me, they arent going to listen to an objection of "yeah, but I wanted a Chinese takeaway", are they?

It was an example - because from what I was aware, at one point that was actually the plan!