Possible Aldi to be built in Swallownest

I wish I never started this thread. I have never thought my opinion meant so little until now. My back garden touches the field this building is going to be put in. I don't actually care if I'm a NIMBY, Lord knows I've been told it enough on here. Anyone in my situation would be the same, and you know it. I've had enough now.

Tess, I do understand why you don't want an Aldi in your back garden. I would feel the same. But unfortunately as I said in an earlier post, Swallownest (and Aston) have grown hugely in the last decade and need these extra facilities. Not everyone in the village can afford to shop in the Co-op and not everyone has a car or is able to get to the nearest supermarkets (which I guess are the Asda and new Aldi at Handsworth, or Sainsburys/Morrisons at Crystal Peaks/Halfway).

Your opinion doesn't mean nothing - but others also have opinions and it would seem that some of your neighbours in Swallownest would welcome this store and the opportunity to take advantage of its low prices.

---------- Post added 22-09-2013 at 15:01 ----------

And a serious suggestion - find out who owns the land and club together with your neighbours to place a counter offer. If you purchase the land, Aldi can't build on it.

I wish I never started this thread. I have never thought my opinion meant so little until now. My back garden touches the field this building is going to be put in. I don't actually care if I'm a NIMBY, Lord knows I've been told it enough on here. Anyone in my situation would be the same, and you know it. I've had enough now.

I've never stated or intended to imply you don't have the right to an opinion however I do find fault with your reasoning for that opinion which is what my posts address.

If I've made you feel like your opinion doesn't count then please accept my apologies, that was not my intention.

Tess, I do understand why you don't want an Aldi in your back garden. I would feel the same. But unfortunately as I said in an earlier post, Swallownest (and Aston) have grown hugely in the last decade and need these extra facilities. Not everyone in the village can afford to shop in the Co-op and not everyone has a car or is able to get to the nearest supermarkets (which I guess are the Asda and new Aldi at Handsworth, or Sainsburys/Morrisons at Crystal Peaks/Halfway).

Your opinion doesn't mean nothing - but others also have opinions and it would seem that some of your neighbours in Swallownest would welcome this store and the opportunity to take advantage of its low prices.

---------- Post added 22-09-2013 at 15:01 ----------

And a serious suggestion - find out who owns the land and club together with your neighbours to place a counter offer. If you purchase the land, Aldi can't build on it.

The only problem with that is, the For Sale sign has got a SOLD sticker on and not a Under Offer sticker on it, so one would assume the land now already belongs to Aldi.

Has an Aldi just opened in Killamarsh this year too?

If so are they opening them within 5 miles or less of each other as there is 1 in Handsworth/ Arena area /Killamarsh? and then Swallownest ...not a monoploly then?

If so are they opening them within 5 miles or less of each other as there is 1 in Handsworth/ Arena area /Killamarsh? and then Swallownest ...not a monoploly then?

Aldi's would hardly be the same monopoly that the Co-Op has, when they have within the Swallownest area 3 Co-Op outlets within a mile radius.

Aldi's would hardly be the same monopoly that the Co-Op has, when they have within the Swallownest area 3 Co-Op outlets within a mile radius.

Not really a monopoly anyway, in that 5 mile radius of Swallownest you have 2 Morrisons, 1 Asda, 1 Tesco and 1 Sainsburys.

Ha, I've just seen the "No to Swallownest Aldi" Facebook page. Lots of cogent arguments on it **snigger**

I see there is now a "yes to aldi swallownest" FB page. Grab some popcorn and pull up a chair!

Facebookers now seem to think a poll on the Roth Advertiser will have some influence when it comes to making a decision. It won't. Even less so when there are boasts about how many times an individual has voted.

Facebookers now seem to think a poll on the Roth Advertiser will have some influence when it comes to making a decision. It won't. Even less so when there are boasts about how many times an individual has voted.

Sadly I thought exactly the same - its happening on both sides. What will be, will be, regardless of what a local newspaper says.