Possible Aldi to be built in Swallownest

It isn't in the middle of the estate, its on the main road so its the edge of the estate, also the majority of people who would use the store would be from the parish of Aston cum Aughton and Swallownest so they wont use Swallow Wood Road as a shortcut as it brings you out at the Swallownest/Beighton border, most people will use the main road to access the store, and the proposed site isn't a recreation ground - it's a field that has been for sale for many years, i live very close to here and i welcome it, i may even apply for a job there as i could then walk to work.

Edit, as Ming said the Co-op is over priced so competition is welcome.

Exactly. The only objectors to this will be the NIMBYs & the Co-op hypocrites that stopped Tesco's bid.

I am really angry about the new Aldi being considered in Swallownest too.

My main reasons are:

1.Traffic not using the bypass and using Sheffield road to get to the Aldi, traffic such as lorries,wagons with deliveries going straight past Aston Fence school. This is a forty mile an hour road with no crossing or useful traffic calming. I am worried people will no longer use the bypass and fly up the village instead to pop in to the Aldi creating more congestion in an already dangerous area.

2.Anti social behavour at night, empty car parks and places that sell alcohol spells gangs of kids hanging out to me- I do not want this in my area.

3. My children will have to cross over the entrance to the Aldi to get to school which will be an added hazard on our walk to school, yes walk to school ! Not all mums take their car.

4. Notice and flood lights polluting the area , this will impact us as the car park and loading area is across the road fom our house.

5. I bought my house 7 years ago, I was not made aware that this area was already assigned for commercial use which I will be looking into.

Anyone with useful ideas as to how we can argue this would be most welcomed. I appreciate people may feel this is good for the area, I agree, but there are other sites that seem to be more appropriate to me

I will be there to protest with bells on

My main reasons are:

1.Traffic not using the bypass and using Sheffield road to get to the Aldi, traffic such as lorries,wagons with deliveries going straight past Aston Fence school. This is a forty mile an hour road with no crossing or useful traffic calming. I am worried people will no longer use the bypass and fly up the village instead to pop in to the Aldi creating more congestion in an already dangerous area.

2.Anti social behavour at night, empty car parks and places that sell alcohol spells gangs of kids hanging out to me- I do not want this in my area.

3. My children will have to cross over the entrance to the Aldi to get to school which will be an added hazard on our walk to school, yes walk to school ! Not all mums take their car.

4. Notice and flood lights polluting the area , this will impact us as the car park and loading area is across the road fom our house.

5. I bought my house 7 years ago, I was not made aware that this area was already assigned for commercial use which I will be looking into.

Anyone with useful ideas as to how we can argue this would be most welcomed. I appreciate people may feel this is good for the area, I agree, but there are other sites that seem to be more appropriate to me

1. Why would you want/need to cross the road? The other side is just fields. Crossing hasn't been an issue for last 25 years, why would it be now?

2. NIMBY reason. It's already in your area. Happens in Swallownest all the time.

3. Without a doubt this will be considered and a crossing point installed.

4. The lights will go off when the store closes.

5. Boohoo. Another NIMBY reason. It's up to you, the buyer to research the area before buying.

1. Why would you want/need to cross the road? The other side is just fields. Crossing hasn't been an issue for last 25 years, why would it be now?

2. NIMBY reason. It's already in your area. Happens in Swallownest all the time.

3. Without a doubt this will be considered and a crossing point installed.

4. The lights will go off when the store closes.

5. Boohoo. Another NIMBY reason. It's up to you, the buyer to research the area before buying.

You have been too quick with your reply I'm afraid, if you look at the planning you will see my point, I live on west park drive, therefore when we walk to school we will have to walk across the entrance to get to school, we do not cross the road as the entrance is on OUR SIDE OF THE ROAD. As a regular Aldi customer I know they have never paid for lights,crossings etc, you may want to consider Aldi Worksop, Dinnington or Hansworth when I make this point ( Hopfully you will know about such stores before you bark back your answers)

Plus you have haven't mentioned the Anti social point that I make, which I think is fair.

I think my points are valid, extra traffic on a road near a school is always a concern whether children need to be crossing or not, do you not agree ?

Or are you just bored today.

Wigwham. All valid points, but I suspect nothing which can't be addressed as part of the application process.

Before chaining yourself to the pylons on the field use the consultation event to discuss your concerns.

The 40 mph limit is a concern and my suggestion would be to reduce it to 30 mph to recognise the level of development which has taken place over the last few years and also the fact there is a bypass with a higher limit. Aldi will only add to he development. Aston/Aughton Lane was reduced from 60 to 40 as 60 was deemed unsafe.

You have been too quick with your reply I'm afraid, if you look at the planning you will see my point, I live on west park drive, therefore when we walk to school we will have to walk across the entrance to get to school, we do not cross the road as the entrance is on OUR SIDE OF THE ROAD

So the speed of the road is irrelevant then. It's been a 40 for years and it's not caused you a problem. There are junctions on the road, one of them the entrance to your estate without regular incident. Adding one more isn't going to make a difference, evidenced when Aston Manor estate was built.

As a regular Aldi customer I know they have never paid for lights,crossings etc, you may want to consider Aldi Worksop, Dinnington or Hansworth when I make this point ( Hopfully you will know about such stores before you bark back your answers)

So you've shopped at every Aldi store in the country to know this "factual" nugget? No? One point of the consultation is to raise MINOR concerns like this. A crossing point, installed at Aldi's expense, can then be negotiated as part of the terms for granting permission.

Plus you have haven't mentioned the Anti social point that I make, which I think is fair.

You didn't see point 2 of my reply? You must have "been too quick with your reply I'm afraid"

I think my points are valid, extra traffic on a road near a school is always a concern whether children need to be crossing or not, do you not agree ?

Or are you just bored today.

On a main road, no. Kids don't play on it. Whilst in school they're secure and safe and whilst going to/from school their safety is the responsibility of the parents.

Lets face it. You're a typical NIMBY. You wouldn't be objecting if say this was elsewhere in the village..

My main reasons are:

Your statement in item 4 makes no sense at all, you say you live on West Park Drive but yet the proposed building will be just a tad over a 1/4 of a mile from your location, with a field and part of the new housing estate between you both. How can the car park/ flood lights and loading area be across the road from your house.? As for traffic calming its time that double yellow line were painted from the round-a-bout right up the upward side of Fence Hill to the traffic lights to stop the idiotic way parents park when taking/fetching their children from school.

Edited by therascal

What congestion, there isn't any. Wouldn't need a crossing either if people didn't park in the cycle lane to drop off their kids. Problem already exists and wouldn't be any worse or better by a small supermarket further up the road.

Then you already cross Swallow Wood Road - how is crossing the entrance to a supermarket any more dangerous?

Morning all

We received a leaflet through the door yesterday advising that there is a proposal to build a new Aldi store on the currently unused field on Sheffield Road/Park Hill in Swallownest. I've tried to look online but don't seem to be able to find anything to provide a link to.

Now I am all for supporting new businesses and creating new jobs, but this is going to be at the bottom of my back garden, and in the middle of a housing estate. At present, I look out of my window and see a nice field - if this is built, I will be staring at the car park! I'd say my view was bad, but some of my neighbours will be far worse. I dread to think what it will do to the local house prices.

If the Aldi is built, there will be a huge increase of traffic that the estate just won't be able to cope with. So many children play out on the streets because at the moment its relatively quiet, but if it goes ahead that will change, as everyone going to Aldi will be using the road throughout the estate as a shortcut.

The traffic in the area is already rubbish at rush hour, with parents parking all the way up Sheffield Road to pick their children up from Aston Fence. It'll be chaos with an Aldi there as well.

There is no need for an Aldi when there is one just 5 minutes down the road in Handsworth, and a Co-Op and Dells 2 minutes up the road. In addition, there are lots of empty areas on business parks nearby that would provide the same services to the same people, just in a different place.

There will be a meeting on Wednesday the 18th September from 3pm to 7pm to discuss this. I can't remember the location so it is something i'll have to clarify, but anyone with any questions are invited to turn up and have their say.

Edit - the meeting will be held at Christ Church Hall, Rotherham Road. This is up in Swallownest, near the roundabout and the tattoo shop. Please let your voice be heard!

What is your problem with a supermarket? It's got to be better than a nightclub, incinerator, pub, school or curry takeaway.

Won't the extra traffic and entrance to the store result in the traffic being slower anyway?

Four very valid points since my last post.

Went to the presentation re the proposed new Aldi on the field behind my house. It was like an episode of The Office. We had David Brent and sidekick making lots of placatory noises, and in answer to our questions "we are looking into it and awaiting a report". We counted an Ecology report, a noise pollution report, a report on traffic volume, a report on how many mothers use cars to school/to shop, a report on boundary issues, a report on how it will affect house prices, a report on what colour underwear they will be wearing whilst making the reports. All this without planning permission actually being submitted. Apparently Tesco and Morrisons have both been turned down, but the land IS earmarked for a retail outlet of some sort. I think we should have an OXFAM.

---------- Post added 18-09-2013 at 19:02 ----------

What congestion, there isn't any. Wouldn't need a crossing either if people didn't park in the cycle lane to drop off their kids. Problem already exists and wouldn't be any worse or better by a small supermarket further up the road.

Then you already cross Swallow Wood Road - how is crossing the entrance to a supermarket any more dangerous?

And as for your comment about the cycle lane , then you obviously have a problem with traffic congestion on Fence Hill already!