Commie chef at the grand hotel 1965

in 1965 i was a commie chef at the grand hotel in sheffield ...anybody else working in the kitchens back then ?

I started as a commis in 1965 but it was at the OMEGA on psalter lane.

in 1965 i was a commie chef at the grand hotel in sheffield ...anybody else working in the kitchens back then ?

My mother worked at the grand, not as a chef, but did comment to me about hygene, or total lack of it to be precise whilst she was there. Not sure of year but do know she was there during the time that Cliff Richard was there.

My mother worked at the grand, not as a chef, but did comment to me about hygene, or total lack of it to be precise whilst she was there. Not sure of year but do know she was there during the time that Cliff Richard was there.

yes it was not a very clean place we use to call it the dungeon ..the kitchen was in the bowels of hotel but i made some really good friends there ..

---------- Post added 15-09-2013 at 08:27 ----------

where abouts was psalter lane again ? ...i lived on thompson rd right next to the park ..i went on to work at the grovsenor house just up the road from the grand ...i also worked at the top resturant of the north in sheffield but i have forgotten the name ...

Psalter lane started at the top of the roundabout outside the Stag pub and ran to ecclesallrd at banner cross. tho Omega is on brincliffe hill and was behind what used to be the university school of art and design.

I to worked at the Omega in the early 60s as a commie chef before I immagrated to Australia and then to New Zealand where I eventually settled down on a little island called Waiheke

Paul, I started at the OMEGA in August 1965. John Mason was the chef.

when did you leave ??

Paul, I started at the OMEGA in August 1965. John Mason was the chef.

when did you leave ??

I immagrated to Australia in 1968 and I think I left the Omega in 1967 ...I worked with an Irish guy call Ray

Paul. if I remember, Monday mornings me would empty the fridges in the room at the back of the kitchen. scrub them clean and mop the floor. Some names I remember.

Ted Johnson - veg chef. his wife did the sweet trolley.

Frank - fish and poultry.

George- Pot washer. He wore the worst wig ever.

Violet- head dish washer.

Rene - dish washer .She said it was RENEY we called her REENI

I did the salads and hors d, oeuvres trolley.

Where you there in 1966 when Santos of Brazil played Sheff weds . They came to the Omega for the reception in the Alpha room. Chef John Mason put out the spectacular buffet ( with a little of our help ) Glazed hams . whole beef tongue . Whole salmon.

He made a spun sugar vase with tall sugar roses . Those were the days. All the beef came on the bone. Lamb came whole .Veal was a whole leg. I had to trim them all.

Going back to the buffet , at the end we were all invited to come out and meet the team. I picked up a programme of the evening and PELE signed it for me , got to shake his hand. If you remember any of this let me know,

Where you there in 1966 when Santos of Brazil played Sheff weds...PELE signed it....

My old man managed to get Pele's autograph for me as well.

We gave the autograph book to a fellow resident of the Rutland Hotel on Glossop Road, who promised me - an easily-led 15 year old! - that she'd get all of the current Owls team to sign it....

As she worked at the Hillsboro' ground in some high-up capacity, we trusted her with the book.....and I never saw it again!

hi riffraff. Still got mine along with four others on the team.

Did your dad work at the omega at that time. If so what's his name,

hi riffraff. Still got mine along with four others on the team.

Did your dad work at the omega at that time. If so what's his name,

No, mate... He happened to be staying at the Grand at the same time as the team. It was some months later, when the family were resident at the Rutland, that we gave the book to the woman who worked for Wednesday in some capacity.