Cannot open Word Documents after microsoft windows 7 auto update

Last night as I was closing down an Microsoft windows 7 auto update started.

On opening my computer this morning the update has changed a number of my family history file thumbnails into a plain bright orange colour.

When I attempt to open them I get a Microsoft window opening which asks me to buy the Microsoft Word programme.

The files are very important to me and I have never experienced any problems in the past.

Could anyone tell me how I can access or recover these files as I cannot afford to buy the Microsoft word programme and have been saving them in the startup programme under the old programme?

Any help or advice appreciated. PopT

The easiest way is to do a System Restore, assuming you have a recent backup.

On opening my computer this morning the update has changed a number of my family history file thumbnails into a plain bright orange colour.

Sorry but I may have misread your post.

You say these are Family History thumbnails.

Are you sure these are thumbnails and not files?

How did you create them?

What is the old program that you are referring to?

Did you use My Family Tree or did you use Word or something else.

What are the file suffixes? .doc? .docx? .ftm? ??

It maybe just the file associations which are incorrect however I doubt if W7 update would have corrupted them. Do a right click on one of them and check the properties.

Sorry me too, was thinking it could be some bundled Microsoft trial software that had expired

Windows update KB2817630 for Office 2013 has caused loads of problems, so

MS have pulled it. See the following link for more info:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9242322/Update_Microsoft_confirms_stability_fixes_messed_up_Outlook_2013

I usually wait a couple of days before applying Windows updates, because MS do not appear to do comprehensive

testing on their patches.

Windows update KB2817630 for Office 2013 has caused loads of problems, so

MS have pulled it. See the following link for more info:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9242322/Update_Microsoft_confirms_stability_fixes_messed_up_Outlook_2013

I usually wait a couple of days before applying Windows updates, because MS do not appear to do comprehensive

testing on their patches.

He has not clarified what the problem is yet.

He has not got office software so I can't see that being the problem.

He has not clarified what the problem is yet.

He has not got office software so I can't see that being the problem.

The way I read the original post he maybe using a trial version of office.

His post is not clear as he's talking about family tree files

That would suggest he may be using My Family Tree software.

I have asked him for clarification, see post #4, but he's not replied as yet.

Hi everyone thankyou for your perseverance nd patience I have now got my files back.

I couldn't answer some of your questions as I am untrained with computer systems and terminology.

I right clicked a file (orange coloured thumbnail) and opened the files clicking on Microsoft virtuality and the file opened.

I do not know any other way to open the files, before the latest Microsoft Update the files just opened by left clicking on them.

I tried my memory stick on another computer which was loaded with Windows XP and the files opened with no problems and so I can only come to the conclusion that the problem is on my laptop which has Windows which was updated last night.

Do you think Microsoft using the updates to sell their programmes by altering their systems?

Thanks to all for your help you are great guys. PopT

---------- Post added 12-09-2013 at 23:59 ----------

Sorry I spoke too soon, I still cannot open some of my files in my Documents.

It appears they are now Dot files which I cannot open by right clicking on them in Microsoft virtuality.

Can anyone give me further advice as I do not want to lose the info.as it represents a lot of work finding it.

Thanking you. PopT

Hi everyone thankyou for your perseverance nd patience I have now got my files back.

I couldn't answer some of your questions as I am untrained with computer systems and terminology.

I right clicked a file (orange coloured thumbnail) and opened the files clicking on Microsoft virtuality and the file opened.

I do not know any other way to open the files, before the latest Microsoft Update the files just opened by left clicking on them.

I tried my memory stick on another computer which was loaded with Windows XP and the files opened with no problems and so I can only come to the conclusion that the problem is on my laptop which has Windows which was updated last night.

Do you think Microsoft using the updates to sell their programmes by altering their systems?

Thanks to all for your help you are great guys. PopT

---------- Post added 12-09-2013 at 23:59 ----------

Sorry I spoke too soon, I still cannot open some of my files in my Documents.

It appears they are now Dot files which I cannot open by right clicking on them in Microsoft virtuality.

Can anyone give me further advice as I do not want to lose the info.as it represents a lot of work finding it.

Thanking you. PopT

A .dot usually signifies a Word template and I doubt if you would use this for creating a document.

Do you know how these files were created?

Unless you can establish how these files were created then it's a bit of a guessing game.

Have you recently upgraded your PC to Windows 7 as that may have a trial version of MS Office installed?

Shift and right click. Select 'Open With..'

Select the right program you want to open the file with (or browse the system looking for it) and ensure the 'Always use this program..' checkbox is ticked.

Click OK

Sounds like the file associations have been lost, maybe with a trial copy of Word re-registering the extensions in the registry?