High Storrs - No Science in Y11

Utter Rubbish.........................

Justify that comment please.

Justify that comment please.

Isn't that all a bit anecdotal though?

I know of people where I work "in industry" (a large multi-national) who probably fit that description too - yet they still have a job. However I don't paint all people "in industry" with the same brush because that would be a bit daft.

Isn't that all a bit anecdotal though?

I know of people where I work "in industry" (a large multi-national) who probably fit that description too - yet they still have a job. However I don't paint all people "in industry" with the same brush because that would be a bit daft.

I agree with you, it is anecdotal, but I was merely using it as an exemplar. Having admitted that, I doubt very much if the young lady in question is unique.

In the last couple of decades, only a handfull have teachers have been sacked for incompetence. I wonder how many incompetent engineers have been fired? I have personally got rid of three in the last five years.

In the last couple of decades, only a handfull have teachers have been sacked for incompetence. I wonder how many incompetent engineers have been fired? I have personally got rid of three in the last five years.

You're wrong to say that "only a handful" of teachers have been sacked for incompetence. I hope your standards of accuracy in your working life are higher than that, or you'll have to sack yourself.

There was a figure given in the Sun (http://fullfact.org/factchecks/teachers_dismissed_incompetence_Sun-14365) last year which claimed that 20 teachers had been sacked in 40 years.

That figure appeared to have come from a BBC Panorama documentary in 2010 which claimed that 18 teachers had been struck off in four decades.

Note: being struck off the teachers register is not the same as being sacked.

Recently, the Schools Minister put out some stats to show that since 2001, 17 teachers had been struck off (i.e. barred from teaching).

Tell me, how many engineers have you barred from ever working anywhere ever again as an engineer?

As the linked article suggests, if 17 teachers were barred since 2001, it's quite likely that many more than "20" have been barred over 40 years.

And furthermore, it is also very likely that many more teachers were removed from their posts but whose cases did not reach the profession's governing body.

Anyway, the actual evidence proves that you are wrong to claim that only "a handful" of teachers have been sacked for incompetence in 20 years.

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 23:37 ----------

On the contrary, my contempt for teachers does not, in any way, stem from jealousy. My standard of living is way above that of most teachers.

My contempt for them is because they are constantly complaining and striking, despite the fact that they enjoy far better working conditions and remuneration packages than anyone of comparable qualification and skills working in the private sector.

To illustrate this…………I know of a teacher who I shall describe below:

Teaches: Engineering. (or resistant materials, or CDT or whatever stupid name they have given the subject this week.)

She does not know how to read the specification of a screw thread.

She does not know how to use a basic measurement tool. (Dial Test Indicator).

She does not have the confidence to use the automatic feed on a lathe or milling machine.

She has very poor communication skills, and virtually no social awareness.

She has 12 weeks holiday a year.

Her employer (Us, the taxpayers) contribute 14.1% of her salary into her pension.

She earns more than £33,000 per annum.

How long do you think she would last in industry?

Compare that package with the bulk of these engineering jobs in the area.

Most are for lesser salary than the example teacher’s.

Most have around four weeks holiday a year, not twelve.

Most employers pension contribution will be around 5% at best.

Most jobs will have far less security against redundancy than the teacher’s.

http://www.jobstoday.co.uk/cgi-bin/advsearch?rownum=1&jbe_exists=0&sess_no=1&show_desc=N&scc=JP&displayrows=50

Yet, still they strike………………..

By the way, I did not refer to them as "unskilled", I referred to them as "underskilled."

So actually the question is why these engineers are such doormats and allow their employers to treat them so badly. They should grow a backbone and start taking action to improve their terms, conditions and pay, instead of whining about others who are prepared to fight for something better.

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 23:44 ----------

And while we're at it, I had a go at your jobstoday site.

I typed in engineer and teacher in sheffield.

For the teacher the first two hits are:

Teacher of Geography

Salary:£21556.00 - £40000.00 pa

Teacher of Art and Design Technology

Salary:£21588.00 - £36500.00 pa

For the engineer, the first two hits are:

Mechanical Design Engineer

Salary:£35000.00 - £45000.00 pa

Hydraulics Engineer

Salary:£20k - £40k pa

What do we conclude from this?

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 23:50 ----------

Also, teachers employers do indeed at the moment contribute 14.% of salary into pensions.

However, teachers themselves contribute 6.5 and 8.8%, which is much more than your typical private sector pension scheme member would be paying.

[source: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/pensions/pension-trends/chapter-8--pension-contributions--2013-edition/index.html)

I agree with you, it is anecdotal, but I was merely using it as an exemplar. Having admitted that, I doubt very much if the young lady in question is unique.

You're a really nice guy aren't you? I'll bet it's a real pleasure to work with or for you.

As a result of this post, BBC Radio Sheffield have asked to interview me..

Interesting!

As a result of this post, BBC Radio Sheffield have asked to interview me..

Interesting!

Oh how exciting. Make list of points you want to discuss and those you don't want to be drawn in to on air. Just make sure they don't take advantage of you or take the interview off at an angle for their own agenda. Sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs.

You're a really nice guy aren't you? I'll bet it's a real pleasure to work with or for you.

You know nothing about the cases involved, so kindly refrain from commenting.

I have six members of staff that have been with for nearly twenty years, so I can’t be that bad to work for.

Two were dismissed for failing to adhere to safety regulations thus endangering both themselves and others.

The other missed a specification in a tender document that, had another engineer not have spotted it, would have cost the company thousands. It was the third time he had done this.

Edited by frededwards