Should we have plastic banknotes?

No more discovering a mess of a fiver that you forgot was in your pocket when you put your jeans in the wash ;)

No more discovering a mess of a fiver that you forgot was in your pocket when you put your jeans in the wash ;)

I've only ever left money in jeans once.

40 quid in Scottish £20 notes - it came out immaculate :huh:

No...because apparently they are springy and unfoldable and creep out of pockets. So you would never be able to leave one in your pocket to start with.

What would be useful is Braille dots/raised spots on banknotes to indicate denomination.

Fiat Sterling (paper or plastic it doesn't really matter) along with Copper, Silver and Gold with competing currencies and localised labour certificates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24029785

Should our currency be made of plastic? The bank of England are trialing this new idea. Personally I don't like it. Plastic is a cheap and nasty substance. Paper has worked for centuries so why change it?

You mean like Canadian money? Seems to work okay over there

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24029785

Should our currency be made of plastic? The bank of England are trialing this new idea. Personally I don't like it. Plastic is a cheap and nasty substance. Paper has worked for centuries so why change it?

I think it's change you really object to, or do you already have experience of plastic money?

I was amazed to learn that the US Dollar is plastic, you really wouldn't know from just handling it. The only practical difference for most people will be that those notes left in your pocket that go in the wash still come out usable, just cleaner :)

Yes, you really can launder your money if it's in Dollars.

Plastic is a cheap and nasty substance. Paper has worked for centuries so why change it?

I take it you have a brass computer, a wooden TV and a ceramic bank card ?

Serious question, do you prefer paper or plastic bread bags?

The Isle of Man had them in the 80s. Can't believe the BBC didn't mention this in their news story on it yesterday.

But they did not last withdrawn after a while

I like the idea of polymer bank notes, if it makes it ... easier to clean

Won't that encourage money laundering? :hihi:

I don't eat bread. Nasty stuff, and very bad for you.

Get real. Bread - bad for you? Behave, it's the staff of life.