Police beeping me even though I had nowhere else to go

Hi people,

What are the laws about moving out of the way of a police car when stuck behind another car at a red light? Earlier I was driving through hillsborough and stopped behind another car at a red light when I heard a police car behind me, I pulled as far forward/right as I could and then the police officer started beeping at me.

I had no intention of mounting the kerb as its a new motability car and I would get billed for any damage to the wheels. And those new kerbs are massive

What would you have done? and if the light is red and your at the front are you allowed to budge forward or should you just wait? I cant remember the exact rules

If you go through a red for an emergency vehicle and are seen/caught you will still be penalised. I know all your instincts tell you to, but don't.

I don't know the exact rules but if the car at the stop line was preventing him from getting through he should have moved forward, after all traffic at the junction should have halted after all. Maybe she was beeping at the car in front of you?

Use the experience to adjust how you stop at red lights in the future.

Stop well back from the line. That gives you the opportunity to maneuver without entering the junction.

I wasnt at the line and I was already pulled over as much as I could without mounting the kerb

I wasnt at the line and I was already pulled over as much as I could without mounting the kerb

Then there was nothing more you could have done.

If you go through a red for an emergency vehicle and are seen/caught you will still be penalised. I know all your instincts tell you to, but don't.

You can if instructed by a uniformed police officer and it sounds like the police were instructed him to do just that!

You can if instructed by a uniformed police officer and it sounds like the police were instructed him to do just that!

No. They weren't.

Do do that they would have to get out of their vehicle and clearly tell TheBlueDragon exactly where they would like him to go. .. and presumably the driver in front of him as well.

Their actions were in contradiction of their guidelines of how to proceed in an emergency, when encountering stationary traffic at a light controlled junction.

Edited by cgksheff

Hi people,

What are the laws about moving out of the way of a police car when stuck behind another car at a red light? Earlier I was driving through hillsborough and stopped behind another car at a red light when I heard a police car behind me, I pulled as far forward/right as I could and then the police officer started beeping at me.

I had no intention of mounting the kerb as its a new motability car and I would get billed for any damage to the wheels. And those new kerbs are massive

What would you have done? and if the light is red and your at the front are you allowed to budge forward or should you just wait? I cant remember the exact rules

You did right. The driver in front was at fault.

---------- Post added 09-09-2013 at 20:31 ----------

Use the experience to adjust how you stop at red lights in the future.

Stop well back from the line. That gives you the opportunity to maneuver without entering the junction.

The OP was behind another car :huh:

No. They weren't.

Do do that they would have to get out of their vehicle and clearly tell TheBlueDragon exactly where they would like him to go. .. and presumably the driver in front of him as well.

Their actions were in contradiction of their guidelines of how to proceed in an emergency, when encountering stationary traffic at a light controlled junction.

That would ge a guideline... as in ideal you should do this? But if you are on a shout that is a call for urgent assistance or a report of a serious crime in progress then I'd suggest honking the horn and shouting "get out of the ~'*ing way!" should suffuce.

It is a bit sad when people surrender common sense for the rule book.

That would ge a guideline... as in ideal you should do this? But if you are on a shout that is a call for urgent assistance or a report of a serious crime in progress then I'd suggest honking the horn and shouting "get out of the ~'*ing way!" should suffuce.

It is a bit sad when people surrender common sense for the rule book.

Because nobody wants to get nicked.