Gardening advice needed please

Hi Everyone

I am " blessed " with a largish garden. My wife was the gardener and I was her labourer and to be honest, I have never enjoyed gardening ( did I dare put that here ).

Sadly she passed away over 3 years ago and apart from cutting what I laughingly call a lawn, I have neglected it. I keep blaming my age (72) but that excuse is wearing thin.

I would describe it as a shrub garden surrounded by trees mainly. So ,I have decided to have a go at it. Working my way to the back to get at the blackberry plants that are taking over, pruning as I go,

Stepping back I can see I am ruining it and definately need advice.

Is there any gardening group who would send someone to advice me please, what to remove, what to save etc. I realised it is bad when I took on a rescue dog ( Yorkie ) and the first time I let her out into the garden, she dashed into the shrubs in fear and it took 36 hours to get her out. ( Not kidding, it did happen )

Many thanks

Keith

Some of it is personal taste. I like a jumbled up crammed full border and hate everything to look too neatly pruned. When I do prune I try to still make it look natural.

Have a look on the landshare (Hugh Fernley Whittingstall). There are people looking to land, some looking for someone to come and grow on their land but you may be interested in the 'helper' category. These people come and help you or give advice.

http://www.landshare.net/

Where is your garden? (Don't answer "behind my house"...)

Don't worry that you are ruining it- most things grow back with vigour after a good prune. At least if you chop it back as a start you can see what you want to keep and what you want to take out.

Your over-gown garden is only a problem if it is a problem to you. I used to be on top of my garden while working full-time plus over time. Things are much different now. I just do what I feel like doing. I changed my perception. I mention to visitors that there are probably snakes & tigers roaming about down there (and possibly David Bellamy).

I do a bit and leave a lot. The garden will still be here when I’m not. By all means get someone to look and give their opinion, but that is all it will probably be-their opinion.

Remember, when you change the way you look at things, the things you are looking at change. Good luck.