Gestures of appreciation to nursing staff at the NGH.

Nurses don't expect to receive chocolates, biscuits or thank you cards from patients and relatives, that isn't why they joined the profession. But when they receive them they are grateful for the thoughtful gesture of appreciation.

However, do take into account that from now on for the rest of the year, any such gift may require a little extra paperwork, for whatever reason? :roll:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2414631/Hospital-bosses-order-nurses-record-time-receive-gift-chocolate-grateful-patients.html

Do the morons who make these stupid rules wear shirts with a browny sort of shade to them?

I'll wait for the truth to be printed before judging. This is the Daily Liar after all.

I work at NGH and have never heard of this.

I have, however, heard of the Daily Mail, and it's reputation.

I tell you which NHS staff members' time gets wasted the most. Not the doctors, nurses or ancilliary staff; it's the people who have to be employed to work in PR, fending off every half-truth and non-story that scum like the Sheffield Star and Daily Mail enjoy misleading people over.

Chris Morley, deputy chief nurse at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals, said: ‘A small number of wards have chosen to record the many gestures of thanks which patients make in addition to the formal monitoring of suggestions and complaints.

‘This is not something which has been imposed across the Trust and does not form part of a formal governance collection process.

‘Having this record displayed enables all staff to be aware of the gestures of thanks patients have made.

‘Therefore the sentence “This is for governance data” is slightly inaccurate and on reflection should have been worded differently.’

So from this, it sounds like some managers have asked their staff to note when they receive gifts so they have a record of the fact they were appreciated. Probably so that they can use the data collected in response to claims from the Daily Mail and others that they're doing a bad job.

Makes sense to me - after all if someone wrote in saying "thank you" they would keep a record of the letter, so why not keep a record of these small gifts which show how much we appreciate the work the nurses and others do?

Sounds like a bit of a non story to me...

So from this, it sounds like some managers have asked their staff to note when they receive gifts so they have a record of the fact they were appreciated. Probably so that they can use the data collected in response to claims from the Daily Mail and others that they're doing a bad job.

Makes sense to me - after all if someone wrote in saying "thank you" they would keep a record of the letter, so why not keep a record of these small gifts which show how much we appreciate the work the nurses and others do?

Sounds like a bit of a non story to me...

It also allows other members of staff who where involved in the patients care, but who are not working on the ward to be made aware of the patient's gratitude.

We can't accept gratuities at work. They are confiscated by higher and higher and are never seen again. I always wondered why my manager put on one stone in weight in a week :P

Can we get the names of the poeple who intoduced this and leave one jaffa cake at reception for them every day?

The paperwork rule would soon vanish.

We can't accept gratuities at work. They are confiscated by higher and higher and are never seen again. I always wondered why my manager put on one stone in weight in a week :P

I used to have the dubious pleasure of being the person responsible for confiscation of gifts. Fortunately the policy has changed and someone else now has that job.

Sadly I wasn't allowed to keep said gifts for myself :(

My wife was in labour for 4 days and as a consequence was on 4 different wards of Jessops.When our boy was finally born and the opportunity arose between feeds, I went round with a big box of biscuits to each ward to thank them for their faultless care of my wife and their safe ushering in of our boy.

These wonderful people did it not because they need to earn a few quid and it's the easiest way, but because it's a vocation. They are so wildly passionate and dedicated to their role that it shames other professions. Let them have the occasional biccie because whilst the government crap all over them, extremely grateful Fathers want them to know how much they are appreciated.