920,000 pensioners still in work-good, or morally wrong?

In all honestly i'd rather OAP's have something to get up for in the morning rather than just sitting in homes all day having nothing to do.

Also while they're at a workplace. They're not doing stupid things on the road eg. stopping to let people down in the middle of the road, cutting you up, doing 20 mph in 50 zones on a perfectly clear road and generally being poor drivers. Also they're not walking round meadowhall stopping and having a chats in busy doorways. Pushing in at ques and just generally dawdling in their own little world unaware of any one else around them.

Hey, don`t forget the post office chats once they get to the front of the long queue, telling the staff all about the grandkids, oblivious to making the long queue even longer:hihi:

---------- Post added 07-09-2013 at 14:36 ----------

I love and respect my elders. We can all learn a lot from the old folks. They may not be able to carry out arduous tasks but they make fantastic consultants, after all, they have all the knowledge and experience. Warren Buffett is 83 and I'd rather spend a day listening to him talk than literally anyone else on the planet.

I`m with you on that Arrr Sez. Some of the older people are interesting to talk to. No one can give you experience, but you can certainly listen and try to learn from others.

The idea that there are a fixed number of jobs in the country which need to be distributed according to some idea of fairness is flat out wrong. More work (at least in the private sector) means more productivity. More productivity means more money which people will want to exchange for goods and services, creating more useful work in turn. It's called growth, people.

I’m a believer in “use it or lose it”. It is well documented that simply retiring and doing very little (with mind & body) can predispose people to premature aging and dementia.

...a good thing that people of age 65 and above are still going out to work. Paying national insurance, contributing to the tax pot and the economy in general, and lessening the risk of ending up in a care home, whereby fees are often paid for by the state

---------- Post added 07-09-2013 at 14:58 ----------

You do not pay national insurance after you receive your state pension even if you carry on working but you do pay more tax which normally averages out at about the same amount as what you would have paid in NI:D I know this because I reached pension age last year and still work full time. I like my lifestyle and couldn't afford it on a pension alone

NI contributions- That is something I didn`t know. When you say that you pay more tax,do you mean you personally, due to other income(s). I do know that once a person reaches 65 the personal allowance increases in increments. A person of 80 has a larger personal allowance than a 65 year old.

Edited by Janus

One hobby I forgot to mention is reading forums.

Some of the comments are farcical and I'm sure some of the posters are either very narrow-minded, such as Arr Sez, or clueless about what they are discussing.

Excellent entertainment.

If 10% of the retirement population is still working that could indicate a number of things

(1) They enjoy what they are doing and can still make a valuable contribution to their organisation.

(2) They need the money to survive.

(3) They have nothing better to do.

(4) Short-term role to fill a gap

(5) Anything else which I have overlooked.

I don't think for one moment that a good percentage of these work 'cos they have nothing better to do that sit on their butt and watch TV.

Perhaps someone could carry out a survey on these 920,000 working pensioners and establish the real reason for them working.

We're spending Billions pumping them full of drugs and now they live till 100 so we should get our moneys worth.

Edited by Clown Shoes

NI contributions- That is something I didn`t know. When you say that you pay more tax,do you mean you personally, due to other income(s). I do know that once a person reaches 65 the personal allowance increases in increments. A person of 80 has a larger personal allowance than a 65 year old.

I pay more tax because I now receive my state pension and that is taxable so what I gained by not paying NI is taken up by the extra tax but I am now better of to the tune of £630 a month after stoppages - while I am still able to work I will

Edited by Ms Macbeth
fixed quote tags

One hobby I forgot to mention is reading forums.

Some of the comments are farcical and I'm sure some of the posters are either very narrow-minded, such as Arr Sez, or clueless about what they are discussing.

Excellent entertainment.

If 10% of the retirement population is still working that could indicate a number of things

(1) They enjoy what they are doing and can still make a valuable contribution to their organisation.

(2) They need the money to survive.

(3) They have nothing better to do.

(4) Short-term role to fill a gap

(5) Anything else which I have overlooked.

I don't think for one moment that a good percentage of these work 'cos they have nothing better to do that sit on their butt and watch TV.

Perhaps someone could carry out a survey on these 920,000 working pensioners and establish the real reason for them working.

I can ask my Mum if you like.

I think it's because she likes to stay in touch with colleagues and actually enjoys nursing though. It's definitely not for the money.

My retirement age is 65 [in 32weeks time]

Average male life expectancy is just over 74 years.

My life expectancy is compromised due to major cancer surgery.

Am I going to retire at 65 ????

Is the Pope a Catholic ??

Do bears **** in the woods ??? You bet your life on it. I wont work one minute over. I have things to do, people to see..............no time to work.

And YES I CAN afford it, because I PLANNED for it.

---------- Post added 08-09-2013 at 01:23 ----------

I’m a believer in “use it or lose it”. It is well documented that simply retiring and doing very little (with mind & body) can predispose people to premature aging and dementia.

...a good thing that people of age 65 and above are still going out to work. Paying national insurance, contributing to the tax pot and the economy in general, and lessening the risk of ending up in a care home, whereby fees are often paid for by the state

---------- Post added 07-09-2013 at 14:58 ----------

NI contributions are NOT paid after Retirement Age. Check it out. :)

This country got in a state when we stopped sending kids up chimneys and down pit.

---------- Post added 08-09-2013 at 01:26 ----------

Oh and selling them off for scientific experiments.

I agree, show me a man rushing excitedly to retirement at 65 and I'll show you a man about to stare straight into the abyss once he gets there. We men can't do nothing, it's not in our programming.

That is the first time I have seen a double negative used correctly:o

Go to the top of the class.

Don't agree with your posts tho'

That is the first time I have seen a double negative used correctly:o

Go to the top of the class.

Don't agree with your posts tho'

He may have used it correctly, but in the wrong context.

I retired a few years ago and have never been happier.

I certainly don't have time to sit around all day and mope about having nothing to do.

Yes. I`m still waiting for the mods to rectify the error as requestecd. It`s only possible to edit the body of a message not the title (unless I`m not doing it right)

Mods don't see every thread, hence the need to use the report button. I spotted it by chance, so its changed now.

Its apparently its about 10% that are still in work, so that's 920,000. I thought the OP's figure looked a little high.

It seem the OP has now dropped that to 92000. I wish they would make up their minds and get their facts right. There are more than 60000 folk over 65 who run their own businesses.

Edited by Uptowngirl