920,000 pensioners still in work-good, or morally wrong?

Go and have a word with yourself. :loopy:

I don't need to have word with myself. Elderly people at times are sodding irritating due to their complete lack of awareness of anything around them. FACT

skinz, please move on, your holding up the discussion. You know I've filed your question in my special pigeonhole and I'll come back to it. Lets move forward now.

"Mans programming"..your theory has a lot to do with the thread, as men grow old (pensioners).

So, what is this "man programming" thingy? after all you did inter it into one of your posts as unshaken dogma.

While you're at it is "woman's" programming the same?

---------- Post added 06-09-2013 at 21:43 ----------

I don't need to have word with myself. Elderly people at times are sodding irritating due to their complete lack of awareness of anything around them. FACT

Not much use in a call centre then, unless their sitting only.

Well the government are increasing the age of retirement so that should suit the pensioners who want to work longer:)

the downside is that the youth will have to wait longer to take their jobs

(Source: BBC news ref 2011 census).

I’m a believer in “use it or lose it”. It is well documented that simply retiring and doing very little (with mind & body) can predispose people to premature aging and dementia.

Is it a good thing that people of age 65 and above are still going out to work? Paying national insurance, contributing to the tax pot and the economy in general, and lessening the risk of ending up in a care home, whereby fees are often paid for by the state? Or, is the fact that they are choosing to go on working (while often being eligible for a state pension plus tax credits and housing benefits) detrimental to the young end of society who desperately want to work and cannot find a job?

You do not pay national insurance after you receive your state pension even if you carry on working but you do pay more tax which normally averages out at about the same amount as what you would have paid in NI:D I know this because I reached pension age last year and still work full time. I like my lifestyle and couldn't afford it on a pension alone

Edited by denlin

So I would suggest that "FACT" alone makes them unsuitable for employment ??

I also think that any chance of an intelligent debate with a moron such as yourself is impossible. FACT. Go back to talking to yourself, you just "irritate" anyone else.

Have a nice day.:rolleyes:

So I would suggest that "FACT" alone makes them unsuitable for employment ??

I also think that any chance of an intelligent debate with a moron such as yourself is impossible. FACT. Go back to talking to yourself, you just "irritate" anyone else.

Have a nice day.:rolleyes:

WOW. Looks like I've annoyed you, sorry about that, I was just trying to make the point that when its busy and you want to get on and two old lady's are in total la la land. It's damn annoying.

WOW. Looks like I've annoyed you, sorry about that, I was just trying to make the point that when its busy and you want to get on and two old lady's are in total la la land. It's damn annoying.

We have to make allowances for other road users, the young drivers drive too fast, take risks overtaking.....etc. etc.

The older guys drive slower [in your opinion "in la la land"] BUT have less accidents.

Young drivers pay a couple of grand a year to insure my car, and its nothing special. I pay £250, £100 excess, protected bonus, fully comp.

Just ask any insurer who he regards as the most risky and who is the safest. :)

We have to make allowances for other road users, the young drivers drive too fast, take risks overtaking.....etc. etc.

The older guys drive slower [in your opinion "in la la land"] BUT have less accidents.

Young drivers pay a couple of grand a year to insure my car, and its nothing special. I pay £250, £100 excess, protected bonus, fully comp.

Just ask any insurer who he regards as the most risky and who is the safest. :)

Hmmm. In my opinion this old drivers vs young drivers is not an exact science. As a young driver and very new driver I do consider myself as very safe. Not least because I've got a box in my car monitoring my driving. I do however totally admit that there are lunatic young drivers who don't deserve a licence and there are old drivers who have just lost all confidence in driving and aren't really very safe at all. However my occasional frustration with the elderly does not lie in driving (In fact I would rather be behind an old guy dawdling than be in front of a chav in a Saxo who wants sits 6 inches behind you. Any day of the week)

No. The only time i raise a rye eyebrow to the elderly is when I situations. Such as Christmas at Meadowhall they don't seem to have the alertness to understand that people are genuinely in a great hurry. And end up blocking off entire shops doorways to talk to each other about whatever leaving only a 2 ft gap for everyone else. And when they do get pushed past give dirty looks to us young for trying to navigate the small space they have left for us.

I would just like the elderly to accept that they're not as sharp as they were and act accordingly.

Well the government are increasing the age of retirement so that should suit the pensioners who want to work longer:)

the downside is that the youth will have to wait longer to take their jobs

Its not pensioners that are doing the jobs that our young should be doing, its immigrants.

Have patience my friend, it is a virtue. It also displays a mature attitude.

I am getting on a bit and disabled, so it takes an extra few second for me to step aside. Have patience, you might get there one day.:)

---------- Post added 07-09-2013 at 07:51 ----------

Its not pensioners that are doing the jobs that our young should be doing, its immigrants.

Possibly true, but the migrant workers are good workers and nice people. I know several of them.

Possibly true, but the migrant workers are good workers and nice people. I know several of them.

:o Are you implying that older people aren't good workers and nice people. :)

:o Are you implying that older people aren't good workers and nice people. :)

I am 'an older person' who is within a few months of his pension. I don't want to work after pension age, I would find it difficult even if I did want to.

I am a nice person until youngsters display 'the anti pensioner attitude', then I become ''not so nice' and can be very sarcastic.

Young people need jobs BUT the companies actively recruited migrants from Poland, Slovakia, Latvia and the rest. They knew that these workers would be 'more compliant', less awkward and would be scared of losing their jobs, hence they would work hard.

The migrant workers didn't arrive by accident, they were brought here by employment agencys. As I said, I know a lot of these migrants and they are very nice people.

As for our older people, they should use commonsense, retire, and enjoy the last few years of their lives doing all the things they never had time to do when they were working. I never expected to reach 65. Six years ago I had lung cancer and thought 'that's it mate, times up' but I survived. It put life into perspective and I realised what was , and wasn't, important. The old 'uns like me, should realise that time runs out and forget about work and get a life. Give the young a break.

As for the migrants, well, that's a problem for the young to tackle and sticking their heads in the sand and ignoring the issue wont help.

I shall ride off into the sunset.........I have LOADS of things to do, and work dosent come into the picture at all.