Should teachers go on strike?

Spat at, punched,head butted,kicked, then next day give em a clean slate, they need a good hiding, the stick or the slipper or even the strap, this is the reason why kids of today are so cheeky and have no respect for anybody, we used to get respect knocked into us. Both parents and teachers are responsible for today's hooligans.

I think you may be confusing respect with fear.

I was once told by a respected teacher that from his perspective, a good number teachers in the education system are failed people with broken dreams who were at the lower end of the University system and somehow or other ended up in teaching?

Its an old chestnut, like "Those who can do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach become OFSTED inspectors / management".

There's a massive mix of people who teach - some straight from school, college, university and fast-tracked to become teachers, and then those who enter late in life after a successful career in the private sector.

The alternative is that you privatise education and make it compulsory that parents pay by having an education tax, that is then paid to the private companies and profit can then be made :)

[devil's advocate]No there's another one...that teachers recognise that those who supply the money to pay for wages and pensions are feeling slightly under the cosh at the moment and feel it unfair that those on a reasonable wage, ie teachers, should be holding out the begging bowl again.. I wonder how many parents have lost a days pay or holiday due to the strike?[/devil's advocate]

I think you may be confusing respect with fear.

Yeah! you could be right, my dad used to put the fear of god up me.:hihi:

bring back approved schools :o:o:o

And the birch and the cat.:hihi:

One of the main reasons that I am striking today is over the proposed removal of pay portability. This means that a teacher who moves schools may no longer be paid at the same rate that they have earned previously. Indeed, they may have to go right back to the start of the pay scale as most schools are trying to save money at the moment. After working my way up the pay scale for ten years, and gaining many more financial responsibilities in my life, I cannot afford to go back to the wages of a newly qualified teacher. However, my partner is in the armed forces and is required to move every two years. If pay portability is removed then I will not be able to move with him as I will need to stay in my job here to pay the bills. I cannot afford to 'begin again' every two years. This will separate my family and was not what I signed up to when I entered the profession.

Anyone actually do a job that is more demanding than teaching and care to compare an average day?

I work in Special Education. I do not work long hours. I get a lot of holidays although I feel that I need them to recuperate. Over the past 5 years I have been spat at, punched, head-butted, kicked but I return each day to give each young person a clean slate. Usually their parents cannot cope but I (almost always) do. I trained for 4 years in University to qualify and am now in my 21st year of a job that I love but this Government constantly undermine us at every opportunity.

A splendid show by all today in Town. Well done. Good with outstanding features.

I work approximately 45-50 hours per week on average, paid for 37.5. Not including travelling all over the place at short notice, having to work weekends if needed.

I've even been told to dial in to a conference call when on holiday in Sorrento.

I have to deal with idiots who granted to physically abuse me but drive me up the ****ing wall. I get 25 days holiday a year, a ****ty pension and private healthcare.

Do you not think many other people have to deal with changes in their profession since they started in it? Why should teachers be immune to this?

Do you not think many other people have to deal with changes in their profession since they started in it? Why should teachers be immune to this?

well said:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just because it happens does not mean that it is right. If others choose not to protest then that is their right. If this change comes through then I will leave teaching. I have worked hard to gain experience and additional teaching qualifications over the past ten years and I believe that I am a good teacher. Many good teachers will leave and be replaced with inexperienced, unqualified staff. Is this what we want for our children?

I work approximately 45-50 hours per week on average, paid for 37.5. Not including travelling all over the place at short notice, having to work weekends if needed.

I've even been told to dial in to a conference call when on holiday in Sorrento.

I have to deal with idiots who granted to physically abuse me but drive me up the ****ing wall. I get 25 days holiday a year, a ****ty pension and private healthcare.

All that variety, and still complaining, you just can't suit some people.:huh: