Should teachers go on strike?

It think some of the teacher bashers are missing the point.

The education system was set up to keep teachers in jobs, not to educate children.

Oh, hang on.........

A quick list of occupations that get paid more than teachers, from ONS figures - Train drivers £42,527, Coal mine operatives £41,140, Chartered surveyors £34,757, Social services managers £35,896. Good luck to the teachers, could you do their job?

You're hardly comparing like for like though are you? You've just picked a random selection of skilled jobs that pay more and have different responsibilities, training and risk.

So basically, teachers need to forgo their democratic right to strike in order to avoid disruption to peoples' childcare arrangements. I see, it all makes sense now!

No, strike all you/they like but don't expect the public to be sympathetic to your situation when everyone is having to make changes to their retirement plans.

No, strike all you/they like but don't expect the public to be sympathetic to your situation when everyone is having to make changes to their retirement plans.

If you had any idea how demanding the job is you would realise straight away that to carry on teaching until you are 68 is a nonsense.

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 14:04 ----------

Especially at a critical time for examinations for Y11s.

One day is not critical unless early entry in November.

If you had any idea how demanding the job is you would realise straight away that to carry on teaching until you are 68 is a nonsense.

Don't worry, the plan is to carry you out in a box.

No one is saying you have to continue teaching until you are 68. You can stop teaching at any age you like and do something else until you draw your pension at 68.

Teachers are after all very well educated so shouldn't find it too difficult finding something easier to do.

One day is not critical unless early entry in November.

My job is very demanding and I'll be asked to carry on till god knows what. There is no thing as a job for life right now, quit teaching at 50 and work in B&Q, save for your own retirement. It's pretty much what everyone else has to do.

I know a labourer who's now working on a supemarket check out because at his age he can't do the more strenuous work that's demanded of him. He's quite happy because he says it's given him continuity of employment & a steady (but small) income, something he never had on a building site. Do the teachers still get an automatic annual pay increase? & what sort of salary are they on anyway?

I want the users of this forum to take a deep breath and think carefully before they submit their comments.

Scanning through this thread, I can't help but be ashamed to see such evolved, intelligent people branding anything so dated as their torches and pitchforks. This is a sad sight to see, especially in this day and age. I can't see how such behaviour solves any of the issues that you claim to fight for, but I do see how it can encourage the children that look up to you to grow up fierce and unpredictable.

Personally, I am not necessarily in support of the automatic pay-rise scheme, but I feel that it is the teacher's prerogative to strike against anything that threatens their future. If I were in the same boat then I would do the very same thing, and in any case, I don't see sense in depriving anyone their entitlement regardless of anything I would do given the circumstances.

The main problem I see is that the kids are tossed out in the street while the strike is in event. I think that the well-being of the children requires more careful consideration during strike action, and that should be the issue not the pay.

Edited by nick.taylor

Teachers continually tell us that the image of a 9 to 3:30 lifestyle, with 13 weeks holiday a year and half a dozen inset (additional holiday) days a year is totally wrong.

Apparently they work much longer hours, weekends and many of the holiday weeks too.

So why aren't they striking in those 'additional' hours that they work then?

Teachers continually tell us that the image of a 9 to 3:30 lifestyle, with 13 weeks holiday a year and half a dozen inset (additional holiday) days a year is totally wrong.

Apparently they work much longer hours, weekends and many of the holiday weeks too.

So why aren't they striking in those 'additional' hours that they work then?

Presumably it won't have as much impact