Did anyone attend this tea-times public meeting in Page Hall?

from the Star...

Officials were warned tensions between residents of a Sheffield suburb and Eastern European migrants could boil over unless urgent action is taken.

About 100 people gathered at the Pakistan Advice Centre on Page Hall Road, Page Hall, to discuss troubles facing the area after an influx of Roma and Slovakian economic migrants in recent years.

Problems raised ranged from litter and fly-tipping to ‘intimidating’ groups of 20 to 30 people on the streets and child protection issues including prostitution and a recent case of a young girl being abducted by older men.

The girl has been found safe and suspects have been arrested over the abduction, police said.

Other issues included up to 15 residents living in small houses and groups playing music late at night.

During the meeting, Insp Simon Leake, of the area safer neighbourhood policing team, told residents he was ‘sympathetic’ to their concerns.

He said actions so far include a dispersal order allowing police to break up groups acting in an anti-social manner, and a recent clean-up day.

But Kashmir Malik, aged 34, a voluntary worker and restaurant owner from Robey Street, said: “Tensions are building on the streets. You need to do something about the problems or something else is going to occur.

“We want our streets back and you should help us. You need to do something or it will be too late.”

Jane Howarth, aged 49, an assistant bar manager from Grimesthorpe, claimed she had seen child prostitution and girls as young as 12 having sex with older men near playing fields.

Residents claimed police were only using dispersal orders against white, black and Asian groups and ignoring Roma men gathering on streets.

But Insp Leake said police could only act if groups were acting anti-socially.

people should leave them alone and stop being racist against against them

Haha you come and live amongst them for a few weeks and see if you have the same view, I think not.

Who is being racist to whom?

This city has a largely good track record when it comes to relations between different communities. It would be a shame were these relations to break down now but I do think there has been too much immigration to this country, particularly over the past 10 to 15 years.

Sounds like one of those community meetings on the Simpsons being held by Chief Wigam.

the pakistanis carnt push them about ,thats what they whont like.the women will kick there arses never mind the men.

Sounds like one of those community meetings on the Simpsons being held by Chief Wigam.

You're not wrong there...

Inspector Leake stated at the meeting that his officers would not disperse groups of Roma who were simply standing on the streets. However, if the groups of Roma were behaving in an anti-social manner, they could be moved on but it was up to residents to inform the Police of those incidents.

Inspector leake also made it quite clear he would not tolerate any sort of vigilante action by the local community against the Roma.

Now, is that the end of the monthly group meetings? From what I understood, those community meeting will be replaced by one-on-one sessions with Police officers but running earlier in the day (3pm to 6pm) which will be a problem for anybody who's working in the afternoon. And a few individual complainants will be far easier to placate than the hundred-strong angry mob we saw last night :help:

It was a pleasant surprise for David Blunkett MP to arrive; his speech helped to calm the situation, as you'd expect from an international statesman such as he... I always rated him higher as an MP than as a member of the New Labour cabinet :)

I think the Council and police were in denial about the situation for too long, because of the race aspect and not wanting to target a certain group of people. That's understandable but now we are left with a very volatile situation. What feels to us residents like a very large, chaotic, unregulated, unsupported wave of immigration into the area. There seems to be little intention or even possibility of people finding work. They know they are in the cheapest, poorest area of town, and lacking any affiliation or affection for the place, treat it accordingly.

the same has happened in eastwood , meetings have stopped with the police , they tolds residents , police will hold drop-ins .... that was about 5 months ago... nowt since . residents asked for a sec 30 in eastwood police said no . after 5 years problems are still ongoing . i dont think cold weather will make the eu people stay indoors . remember kids skiing at 2am ? race does not come into this , commen sense does ...who would let there kids play out at 2am ? who would like gangs outside there house shouting at 2am ?

Its all down to the greedy landlords..

Its all down to the greedy landlords..

100% if the landlords only allow 1 family in 1 house, or only the rqd limit in the house it wont solve the problem but it would certainly cut it in half, and just another point if the SCC was promoting a city of sanctuary where were they proposing to house them they have to share some of the blame, also as with Doncaster and Rotherham when it comes to other religions the police are frightened to death of doing anything about it and they have to share the blame as well, does Insp Simon Leake hold the view that if he calls a meeting that only he can speak? there is alot of things not quite correct here.

The situation in Page Hall is really worrying and although I don't live there, I fear for how things could develop come January if this is just a taster.

We pass through on our way home from work and I do find it a really intimidating place now so goodness know what it's like for you guys who live there.

I don't like to talk in such a collective manner but it does seem like as a whole, these Roma and Slovakian folk show a blatant disregard for everything and everyone around them.

The streets are absolutely disgusting, litter everywhere. They just throw it down where they stand, despite littler bins being in clear view. It's not looking good.

I really hope that your meetings pay off and that the authorities address your concerns and take the necessary action for you. Best of luck everyone.