The parkrun thread

Scunthorpe Event 31 report :- "The results would have been out even quicker if the team hadn't had to deal with people running only one lap and others trying to run into the funnel more than once.

As a reminder to all runners, the run is a 5k. That means 2 full laps - not one. Also, at least one runner was missing out significant chunks out of the course on the second lap in a bid to finish sooner. Can all parkrunners please not do that - you're only cheating yourselves and giving yourselves false PBs. It's much better to do the full course and give yourselves genuine PBs that can be more easily beaten next time."

This was Scunny's gentle reminder.

If all courses were like Rother Valley the subject would never occur ;0).

People should just walk from the start to the finish for the feeling of being first :thumbsup:

Sort of to do with the same thrust about friendliness - what are people's thoughts here on buggy runners?

I've been training with a proper running pram, almost as resistance training. It's been really good, and the kids love it. I've run a couple of parkruns with the pram now in Hillsborough, and it's been very friendly - and no issues or even near misses. I've worked out that the safest thing to do is start nearer the front, so I'm seen and faster runners can avoid me easily, as following the official advice and starting at the back seems to be riskier - slower runners weaving ahead of me almost impossible to pass and understandably not knowing I'm there.

I'm wondering if sone of the bigger parkruns might not be so welcoming - there's a pretty strong dislike of pram runners amongst a lot online.

any thoughts?

I think your are correct in starting at the front allowing anyone else to pass is far better than you having to negotiate others.

There's one at my local Parkrun (Rovrem) and no issues at all same goes for Locke Park in Barnsley both of these start at the front as well.

Interestingly today we had our first carry the dog around Parkrun :D

I think your are correct in starting at the front allowing anyone else to pass is far better than you having to negotiate others.

There's one at my local Parkrun (Rovrem) and no issues at all same goes for Locke Park in Barnsley both of these start at the front as well.

Interestingly today we had our first carry the dog around Parkrun :D

Cool - glad the common sense is seen - it's just the official line is the opposite. I got round in 25.59 today with the pram - so would have had to pass a lot of the field from behind if I'd started at the back.

Wonder if it would be less friendly at endcliffe park.....

There always used to be a buggy runner at Endcliffe when I regularly ran their parkrun a couple of years ago.

I do Graves now and rarely see buggy runners - I guess the rockier terrain makes it more tricky.

I think its great. Would have done it myself if I'd been able to afford a running buggy, rather than take 18 months off from parkrun!

There always used to be a buggy runner at Endcliffe when I regularly ran their parkrun a couple of years ago.

I do Graves now and rarely see buggy runners - I guess the rockier terrain makes it more tricky.

I think its great. Would have done it myself if I'd been able to afford a running buggy, rather than take 18 months off from parkrun!

I bought a new one this week from the barnados shop just off Penistone road - £20! Needed a bit of TLC, but is otherwise great. Fixed wheel, hand break, lightweight - about 1/3 light her than my other running pram. Bargains to be had if you grub about a bit! :)

Sheffield and Rotherham parkrun attendances for 1/11/14.

55 - Concord

161 - Graves, 1 buggy

127 - Hillsborough

26 - Castle

509 - Hallam

Total = 878

122 - RVp

39 - Clifton Park

Total = 161

Combined Total = 1039

Both Rotherham runs had exactly the same total as last week and the others were very close too. Nostell Priory for B.B. and I next week anyone got any tips.

---------- Post added 09-11-2014 at 18:51 ----------

Sheffield & Rotherham parkrun attendances for 8-11-14

47 - Concord

164 - Graves

99 - Hillsborough

28 - Castle

472 - Hallam

Total = 810

110 - RVp

44 - Clifton Park

Total 154

Nostell Priory = 101. Including 2 from Sheffield. A great course in a stately setting. 4 stretches along the same piece of road give you a chance to see the whole field in action.

Can I just turn up?

---------- Post added 15-11-2014 at 12:09 ----------

What is the cost?

Can I just turn up?

---------- Post added 15-11-2014 at 12:09 ----------

What is the cost?

You can just turn up, and leave your wallet at home, there's no charge!

You can also register here:

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/register/

You'll then be able to print out your unique barcode. Keep that with you on your run, and collect your finishing barcode token as you cross the finish line. Then present both to the person scanning bar codes. You'll then be able to see your progress online.

It's all pretty straight forward and simple; well worth registering.

Or you can simply turn up, without any barcode. If you do, the race organiser may say not to collect a barcode token as you cross the finish line, if you don't have your personal barcode with you (so it doesn't mess up the results).

Hope that makes sense! Good luck!

Cool - glad the common sense is seen - it's just the official line is the opposite. I got round in 25.59 today with the pram - so would have had to pass a lot of the field from behind if I'd started at the back.

Wonder if it would be less friendly at endcliffe park.....

There's a lady with a 3 wheeler at Endcliffe. She starts near the front, but to the side on the wrong side of the tape (on the grass instead of the path), and then merges within the first few yards. It seems to work OK. And her kid looks to be enjoying it. I've no idea of any "official" view on where she starts, but the marshals don't look to be bothered, so I reckon everyone is happy with it.

I've only just seen this thread and have not read it all yet, just the last couple of pages. But I'd just like to add my two penn'th. I can't run any more due to battered knees, but have started taking my daughter. She sometimes sees a few friends there, but usually finishes up running at her own pace on her own. Despite the large numbers it seems to run smoothly and is well organised. A credit to the organisers, sponsors and volunteers. The whole ethos is quite heartwarming. It seems a bit sad that some look to cheat, but that doesn't affect the vast majority.

The only instance of cheating I've seen at a parkrun was a few months back at Hillsborough. I was just doing it as a HMish pace tempo run, but a guy who had started off behind me at a slower pace was obviously 'racing' for position and had decided he didn't like the corners very much. So he started cutting every single one by greater and greater amounts. He eventually caught up with me at the end of the second lap and was 15 yards or so in front by the playground, despite us running at almost the same pace. He finished in 3rd but having only run about 4.5km, strutted around for a bit looking unfathomably pleased with himself, then ran off. I've never seen him since, I don't think he was a local runner.

---------- Post added 17-11-2014 at 11:51 ----------

Nostell Priory = 101. Including 2 from Sheffield. A great course in a stately setting. 4 stretches along the same piece of road give you a chance to see the whole field in action.

Will have to do this one day - it's just down the road from my mum's family in Fitzwilliam.

parkrun attendances for 15th November 2014.

41 - Concord

174 - Graves

119 - Hillsborough

29 - Castle

502 - Hallam

Total 865

104 - RVp

28 - Clifton Park

Total 132

Combined total just short of the Grand but holding up very well despite the onset of Autumn.

After the run on Saturday Graves had a collection in memory of parkrunner Eric Codling who was killed in an RTA one year ago. The money goes to Cavendish Cancer Care. There is a charity 10k run in Eccy Woods this Sunday. Follow this link to find out more:- http://cavcare.org.uk/news/