The parkrun thread

Meadowhall = Concord, 2 lapper & wide open spaces, 40 runners.

Heeley = Sheffield Castle, 3 lapper twisty turny, up and down, 40.

or Graves, 2 lapper two slogging hills and an animal farm, 130.

Welcome to Sheffield, try all three.

Thanks for the quick reply, he loves hills so will probably do the Graves one first.

Graves is very nice milso; it's a beautiful park with some great views and exotic animals. You wouldn't go wrong with either Graves or Castle; both have comparable climbs; but I think Graves just comes out in front in terms of scenery (the people at Castle will lynch me now, next time I'm there).

---------- Post added 24-10-2014 at 19:48 ----------

Anyone doing Worksop on Sunday? Hope it stays clear and dry! Am sure it's rained, probably last 3 times I've done it. Look out for the signs (beware, lions in the woods; sponges 50p, wet-sponges £1, etc) around 9 miles or so...

Sheffield & Rotherham parkrun attendances for 25/10/14

58 - Concord

156 - Graves

125 - Hillsborough

38 - Castle

508 - Hallam

Total 885

122 - Rother Valley

39 - Clifton Park

Total 161

Joint Total = 1046!

148 = No. 6 @ Wakefield Thornes, A complicated, 1 lap, back and forth and around 3 parks with hills, roots, leaves, packed earth, wet grass and tarmac. Plenty of views across to other runners but not one for a tourist if you like first finishes.

Worksop HM was a great run this morning; good conditions, dry, cool, just a bit windy, but no big problem. Done it every year since 2007; highly recommended!!

Worksop HM was a great run this morning; good conditions, dry, cool, just a bit windy, but no big problem. Done it every year since 2007; highly recommended!!

Well done. I gave it a miss as I`m still getting hassle with adductor injury. Shame, as I`ve done Worksop 4 times. Plodded around Graves parkrun though for a PW!

"Its not a race its a run"

Is it possible to 'cheat' at parkrun?

(There is a current thread on cheating at exercise.)

At Scunthorpe there are several massive corner cutting opportunities, cutting out 100 yards is possible in several places on the two laps. I have seen runners taking advantage of this and I know that the practice has been mentioned in their 'news' ( but I can't find it now, doh).

Graves currently has suspicions that someone is hiding in the woods for a whole lap before emerging to record a rapid finish.

Obviously these runners are cheating themselves.

But what, if anything, should parkrun do about this?

Is it anyone's job to 'grass them up' ?

If it is reported will proof be needed?

If accepted should they be erased from the results?

Does anyone know if there is an official 'parkrun' position?

Graves currently has suspicions that someone is hiding in the woods for a whole lap before emerging to record a rapid finish.

?

That is funny. And sad. I got a PW on Saturday and maybe I should have taken the woods option.

(There is a current thread on cheating at exercise.)

At Scunthorpe there are several massive corner cutting opportunities, cutting out 100 yards is possible in several places on the two laps. I have seen runners taking advantage of this and I know that the practice has been mentioned in their 'news' ( but I can't find it now, doh).

Obviously these runners are cheating themselves.

But what, if anything, should parkrun do about this?

Is it anyone's job to 'grass them up' ?

If it is reported will proof be needed?

If accepted should they be erased from the results?

Does anyone know if there is an official 'parkrun' position?

As I alluded to the other week - the events at Clumber park led me to think about how park run is changing.

I went in the car to clumber (rather than jog down to RV) and saw one of our lads "barged" out of the way at the finish in a battle for 35th place or whatever.

It made me feel like I had gone to a race rather than joining a group of friends meeting up to go running. It all seemed very formal.

I know the organisation has to make money to pay for T shirts etc but the whole branded t-shirt and leisure wear for the 10 years is another step towards mainstream.

The park run concept is pretty punk rock - increased mass participation dilutes that quite a bit as the masses tend to spoil most things.

To answer your question about cheating - who cares ?

But aggro over something like this will spell the end of a park run somewhere with a run director not wanting the hassle anymore.

I dunno when but I fear it will be possibly sooner than we think.

The cheaters are only cheating themselves, there is no Status to be gained as it isn't a "race" only perhaps bragging rights amongst your club mates or regular fellow park runners.

Most of us treat it as a more social event to meet up with like minded Idiots on a Saturday morning :D

What usually happens a Rovrem with it being a small numbers is that we count the numbers of runners as they pass the first checkpoint and with most of them being regulars you do tend to know who goes where but having said that a few weeks ago I went down to have a chat and a mingle as you do as I am still not able to run and whilst talking amongst ourselves the first finisher and the 2nd and 3rd placed runner went off to the right towards the finish line and it was at this point a lone female who was not a regular started to sprint towards the right hand side until we both looked at one another and turned to her and told her she had another lap to go, the look on her face was priceless :hihi: and she slowed down to an almost walking pace.

So it goes to show that some try it on and hope the marshalls are not watching what goes on.

ps....there is only place to take a short cut at Rovrem but you would be easily spotted :P

Scunthorpe Event 31 report :- "The results would have been out even quicker if the team hadn't had to deal with people running only one lap and others trying to run into the funnel more than once.

As a reminder to all runners, the run is a 5k. That means 2 full laps - not one. Also, at least one runner was missing out significant chunks out of the course on the second lap in a bid to finish sooner. Can all parkrunners please not do that - you're only cheating yourselves and giving yourselves false PBs. It's much better to do the full course and give yourselves genuine PBs that can be more easily beaten next time."

This was Scunny's gentle reminder.

If all courses were like Rother Valley the subject would never occur ;0).

I was working last Saturday across the road from the one in Scunny and witnessed a few hobbling back afterwards. Shame I wasn't able to run :)