The parkrun thread

Oi Winemaster - Ever thought about logging your runs as a Jantastic runner. Hillsbro, Hallam and Graves have teams in. Any one of them would be keen to have you. Today is day 1 of a 3 month scheme - We (Graves) were top of the 80 or so parkrun teams . . . . for about 2 hours. Minimum qualification is 3 runs per week and one of them can be your Saturday parkrun. Easy for a HM trainer.

Did the Jantastic last year and we finished 4th or 5th overall with 16 runners (we were top from start till the last week) IIRC.

I would of done it again this year but what really annoyed me was even though we (as a team) hit all our targets run wise and time wise we got ripped of at the end when all the other teams surprisingly did all there timed runs on the dot, eg if you aimed for say 45 min 5 mile run and logged 45 :10 as an official time you got penalised for the 10 secs either way over or under which is fair enough if everyone logs times correctly and honestly but all the teams below us logged every run bang on there times.

Wow, that's kinda sucky Winemaster, people entering exact times, just to get up the leaderboard, is that what's going on?

It even says on the Jantastic site "Be honest with yourself"...

Wow, that's kinda sucky Winemaster, people entering exact times, just to get up the leaderboard, is that what's going on?

It even says on the Jantastic site "Be honest with yourself"...

Yes, so if you are doing it this year and the quota's are the same as 2013 you have been warned.

They are only cheating themselves at the end of the day.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Aww shucks - its the way of the world.

Even if there's nothing to win some people can't stop themselves. On the concept2 (indoor rower) website someone got called out about his entries and times. It caused an unholy row. Resignations from his internet club because they had invited him "I'll race when and where I want and not before" from the accused. Everyone was cheapened by the affair.

Anyroad - We have a team, we are supporting each other and doing better for it - feeling the love ;-)

Almost as bad as cheating in a race! I remember reading the story of Kip Litton sometime back, a prolific marathon cheat. I think this was the article I read at the time...

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/08/06/120806fa_fact_singer?currentPage=all

Thankfully, most people I know in the running community are beacons on integrity, and generally all round awesome people!

Almost as bad as cheating in a race! I remember reading the story of Kip Litton sometime back, a prolific marathon cheat. I think this was the article I read at the time...

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/08/06/120806fa_fact_singer?currentPage=all

Thankfully, most people I know in the running community are beacons on integrity, and generally all round awesome people!

I did Shrewsbury marathon last year and it was a 4 lapper with some switchbacks. I read of cheats but I really can`t see the point. :rant::confused:

Back on topic before things start disappearing :hihi:

Had a good run today at Clifton Park run and managed to get my PB down from 19:57 > 19:32 for that particular course but still just a few seconds away from an overall 5k PB.

How did the rest of you all get on ?

Yep, back on topic sounds good, and well done with the new course PB Winemaster. :-)

I did the manor park park-run this morning, and also got a course PB, which was 22:21, now 21:55. Quite enjoy the course, there's a bit of a hill at the end of each lap (3 lap course), but all good training for (the quite hilly) Liversedge HM in Feb.

Am assuming it rained at all the local park runs this morning?

EDIT: Hmm, that's odd, on the official results page they have my time as 21:30 (am sure I stopped my watch on 21:55).

Edited by Waldo

Yep, back on topic sounds good, and well done with the new course PB Winemaster. :-)

I did the manor park park-run this morning, and also got a course PB, which was 22:21, now 21:55. Quite enjoy the course, there's a bit of a hill at the end of each lap (3 lap course), but all good training for (the quite hilly) Liversedge HM in Feb.

EDIT: Hmm, that's odd, on the official results page they have my time as 21:30 (am sure I stopped my watch on 21:55).

Waldo - the same happened to me when I ran there! You`re a similar pace to me too. I do like their course though but that hill is quite a sapping drag, eh? Big turnout at Graves today. My next race is a HM at Inskip next weekend.

Well done and congrats on the PB Waldo.

Will be more of a tourist at parkrun sometime after April/May later this year.

Ooh, good luck at Inskip jemson, have you done it before? Looks pretty flat!?

Yeah, I prefer Castle to Graves at the moment. Mostly because Castle is fully on proper paths, and doesn't get sludgy (not a fan of the muddy down-hill section at Graves, just after cow pat corner). Will no doubt be back at Graves when the weather is warmer / dryer though.

11th January 2014 - Sheffield's parkrun attendances.

OMG - forget about getting into the 800's

968!

48 - Concord

146 - Graves

142 - Hillsborough

36 - Castle

596 - Hallam

968 Total

Edited by Flanker7