The parkrun thread

Go for it!

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

parkrun is very welcoming imo. Print your bar code off and have a bash!

I think I may well do it. I'll sign up.

I used to run marathons all the time (two in a week before) but over the last couple of years, I've let my fitness drop massively due to work. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into it fairly quickly.

Off to sign up!

In my opinion, do your local one. Where are you based? All runs have a genuine mix of abilities, usually from 17 mins to 45 mins for the 5k. Endcliffe is flat but very busy. Rother Valley is flat, Graves is hilly.

thank you for your response. I did 10K Rother Valley in spring. So I will try Graves parkrun. ))

Good choice Irina. That`s my local. Tough 2 lap course that is the most scenic about. Go steady on the first lap and see how you feel. And let us know how you go!

My mutinous crew have said we have to do wild, windy, open spaces of Concord this week. They want to get a pb to have a second chance to chase the place. After long and detailed analysis - Concord is the one.

Not for me, pb's are very rare on my parkrun c.v.

But, I will get a 2013 time for Concord - which reminds me I only have 6 more weeks to assemble a Sheffield parkrun 2013 Quintet*.

* This is the first year this has been available.

The Pirate.

I used to run marathons all the time (two in a week before) but over the last couple of years, I've let my fitness drop massively due to work. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into it fairly quickly.

Off to sign up!

Good luck! Don't worry about how fast you go, plenty just turn up and tootle around quite happily enjoying the ambience and wonderful park scenery. Other's like to go hell for leather!

Good fun had by all! :-)

---------- Post added 14-11-2013 at 14:06 ----------

My mutinous crew have said we have to do wild, windy, open spaces of Concord this week. They want to get a pb to have a second chance to chase the place. After long and detailed analysis - Concord is the one.

Not for me, pb's are very rare on my parkrun c.v.

But, I will get a 2013 time for Concord - which reminds me I only have 6 more weeks to assemble a Sheffield parkrun 2013 Quintet*.

* This is the first year this has been available.

The Pirate.

Is Concorde speedy? Imagine Hillsborough is too? Never done either...

Can highly recommend Rother Valley though, if you're going for PB. ;-)

Us at hillsborough parkrun & hallam parkrun have exactly the same amount of ascent and descent but our course is strangely by consensus of opinion 10sec slower than hallam.

Concord is 10-20sec slower than hillsborough and hallam. More descent but also more ascent with their little obstacle also interupting your stride

10 secs slower? Surely the difference depends on how fast you normally run? 10 secs is not much difference if you usually do 40min 5 k s.

I'm not convinced the courses are measured accurately either, which I guess would more than account for a 10-20 sec time difference.

Our previous runs at Concorde are few and a bit iffy and slow. That's why it got the vote. Whereas, our Graves and Hallam pbs are a product of 15 or more attempts and need a degree of preparation (& a new knee!) to lower.

For an all-time, all-courses pb my current is Conkers with the perfect storm of good form and a grudge rivalry and 2x1.5k straight along the disused railway line lollipop format.

Rother Valley looks a promising chance with a following wind ;-)

I'm not convinced the courses are measured accurately either, which I guess would more than account for a 10-20 sec time difference.

Exactly. Graves is apparently 5km each lap and is all uphill. I`m happy with my 23 mins which equates to a 2:07 marathon-ish.

Rother Valley looks a promising chance with a following wind ;-)

Honestly, you'll find yourself flying at Rother Valley. Better on a dry day though, can be a few puddles (water jumps) on the course when it's wet!

I think events such as this are great for the community, so bravo from me. Over the last 10 years or so theres been to little to bring people together.

However, are risk assessments in place? what if someone trips up on a pile of dog poo and what if someone slips on a puddle and there isn't one of those "careful don't trip" signs over the puddle.

And what if a passing bird flys into one of the runners eyes causing blindness, have these things been considered?

But all in all, about time events such as this were encouraged to get people involved.