The parkrun thread

What option is there for doing a new year's day double parkrun in Sheffield?

9:00, Graves >> 10:00, Hillsborough  (6 miles)

Dewsbury is a 8:30 start.

Poolsbrook with its 10:30 start is a mecca for 30 miles around, or more depending on speed. If your local is a 9:00 starter.

I was jealous last year when Poolsbrook 'Doublers' were rolling up on their push-bikes.

Not this year! (Weather permiting) A peloton of cyclists  will come from Graves, only 10 miles.

Well................there's only 2 of us at the moment ;0)

Find other Doubles here -  http://tailrun.uk/nyd/2018/uk/

8:30 - Watergrove! = 41 options!!

Edited by Flanker7

Have to say, that having tried a parkrun, I think I prefer to run on my own.  Having to dodge 200 other runners doesn't make a run anymore fun, it just makes it congested.

Local parkrun attendances on Christmas Day

Concord = 347 Record Attendance

Poolsbrook = 371, Second Highest Attendance

There is a parkrun to suit almost all tastes.  If running alone is what you want, parkrun is not for you.

You end up running  in and around  a group of about 5-15 similar paced  people for 90% of the free weekly timed 5k. Many of them become friends.

Average Attendances

Concord - 60.4

Sheffield Castle - 47.3

Rotherham - 61.5

Edited by Flanker7
adding stuff

Andrew Burgess-Tupling‎ to parkrun statsgeek group
A slightly different format to the Yorkshire & Humber report for Christmas Day.
On a day that saw Bushy Park break the national attendance record, three parkruns in our region also broke their own attendance records: Concord (347), Dewsbury (223) and Harrogate 
I thought it would be interesting to see the growth of parkrun on Christmas Day over the years. (Summary shows: year, Christmas parkruns/region parkruns registered by end of the year, Christmas Day parkrunners)

2010*: 3/4 166
2011: 3/10 200
2012: 9/14 702
2013: 10/24 1219
2014: 13/30 2331
2015: 13/36 3000
2016: 13/38 2937
2017: 18/42 4657
2018: 23/49 6326

*Christmas Day fell on a Saturday in 2010. There were no Christmas Day parkruns in the region in the three previous years that parkrun had been in existence in Yorkshire & Humber.

16 hours ago, Flanker7 said:

There is a parkrun to suit almost all tastes.  If running alone is what you want, parkrun is not for you.

You end up running  in and around  a group of about 5-15 similar paced  people for 90% of the free weekly timed 5k. Many of them become friends.

I don't mind running in a small group, I used to run with a group from work at lunchtime, and that was fun.

With 200+ people at Hillsborough though it's not fun, I don't know any of them, it's hugely congested and as far as I could tell there was nobody who happened to be at the same pace as me from start to finish.

Perhaps it's a victim of its own success, maybe with 50 people the field would spread out more quickly and you would be able to run with a group for the entire distance.

There's also the fact that it's Sat morning, I guess I'm more of an afternoon/evening runner, and Friday is the best evening to go out for a beer.

Edited by Cyclone

My regular parkrun typically gets around 50 maybe 60 runners, and it's a very nice number, and has a friendly community feel to it. Too many people and I think you can start to lose that friendly vibe; and you naturally get congestion too...

Not that that would deter me from doing a larger parkrun.

Fair enough.  It's a great thing that Hillsborough is so popular, but it's too popular for me.  I don't mind running alone, so I guess I don't need the encouragement of an organised thing, but if it increases participation generally then that's got to be good.

Sheffield & Rotherham parkrun attendances for 29th December 2018.

127 - Concord

299 - Graves, 8th Highest Attendance

Graves-Juniors  - No run

285 - Hillsborough

68 - Castle, 2nd Highest Attendance

567 - Hallam

Total - 1,346

321 - Rother Valley

100 - Clifton Park

Total - 421

Overall total = 1,767

On 12/27/2018 at 10:25 AM, Waldo said:

My regular parkrun typically gets around 50 maybe 60 runners, and it's a very nice number, and has a friendly community feel to it. Too many people and I think you can start to lose that friendly vibe; and you naturally get congestion too...

Not that that would deter me from doing a larger parkrun.

The larger park runs are amazing and the principle is working, unfortunately the larger groups have similar mentality to race days as I am sure many have seen.

Why start towards the front when no intention or ability to keep as front runners? This just blocks and slows people behind down. Not an issue but there is a small percentage of people that block paths whilst socially jogging. Park run is supposed to be about encouraging people to become more active rather than a race day, but it would be nice if people lined up in reasonable order to their intention or ability. 

‎Andrew Burgess-Tupling‎ to parkrun statsgeek group
WOW! That there was going to be a substantial national record of parkrunners for NYD was widely anticipated. How this would translate at a more local level wasn’t really known.
Of 25 parkruns staged in the Yorkshire & Humber region, 11 set new attendance records (with a further four also having 500+).
Records: Peter Pan (677), Scunthorpe (648), Pontefract (613), Heslington (581), Humber Bridge (580), Hillsborough (579), Normanby Hall (533), Armley (437), Rothwell (422), Graves (396) & Dewsbury (302).
Others 500+: Huddersfield (735), York (656), Nostell (645) & Woodhouse Moor (598).
Overall, 11 venues had attendances of 500+, the previous most for a single day is seven (on three previous occasions).
Huddersfield’s attendance was the 20th highest ever (out of 11,703) for the region.
Dewsbury’s previous attendance record lasted precisely a week.
With the exception of Skipton, all Y&H region parkruns today had higher attendances than 29 December.

As with Christmas Day, I thought it would be interesting to see the growth of parkrun on NYD over the years. (Summary shows: year, NYD parkruns, NYD parkrunners)

2011*: 3 224
2012: 2 158
2013: 5 723
2014: 11 1815
2015: 10 2291
2016: 14 3446
2017: 14 3710
2018: 17 6368
2019: 25 10604

*NYD fell on a Saturday in 2011. There were no NYD parkruns in the region in the three previous years that parkrun had been in existence in Yorkshire & Humber.