The parkrun thread

Graves runners beware - Cow pat corner is building up steam. The Highland Cows have been back for about 2/3 weeks and the smell is evident - next stage the runoff (nothing to do with parkrunning!)

Mind you some like it, in small doses - reminds them of the counrtyside.

Please lads and lasses, make an effort to volunteer with marshalling etc. You only have to do it 3 times in a year. Graves in particular seems to be constantly short of volunteers, which obviously places quite a strain on the organisers.

+1

Runningman hits the nail on the head...

I volunteered for Hallam after my first Parkruns back in March (its fun and a way of giving back to the "community").

However, I have now moved to Graves (I'm a Totley/Dore boy - I like hills!:loopy:).

After this mornings parkrun (and reading your post) have just signed up to volunteer via the Graves parkrun web page - I encourage everyone to consider volunteering as well.:clap:

(Sorry can't actually post the link as I've not posted enough on these forums yet...)

Sheffield parkrun attendances for 19-10-13.

Concord = 24

Graves = 100

Hillsborough = 118

Sheff Castle = 27

Sheff Hallam = 410

Total 679

Numbers on the up again. Mostly thanks to good showings from Hillsbro and Hallam. Maybe there was a Kimberworth Harriers meet to shrink the Concord crowd?

Did my 3rd run at Graves this morning (PB in 29.09!!) and have volunteered for next week too. It's only right to do a bit to keep these going - loving it every Saturday morning now.

Better morning for my 2nd Graves, they were short on volunteers so I'll sign up one weekend it's only fair

Sheffield parkrun attendances for 19-10-13.

Concord = 24

Graves = 100

Hillsborough = 118

Sheff Castle = 27

Sheff Hallam = 410

Total 679

Numbers on the up again. Mostly thanks to good showings from Hillsbro and Hallam. Maybe there was a Kimberworth Harriers meet to shrink the Concord crowd?

The Rowbotham Round Rotherham 50 mile Ultra Race was on yesterday, with quite a few Kimberworth solo and relay runners.

We manned the Maltby feed station and checkpoint at the 40 mile mark.

A very impressive effort by all the runners, walkers and teams and organisers.

Well done everybody.

RVp

Don`t think that counts as Sheffield officially. I`m surprised Hillsboro don`t get more really - quite a decent catchment area.

I tried to run to Graves, do the parkrun and then run home which was pretty good really.

Some good local races coming up, if anyone fancies a bigger challenge:-

http://www.worksopharriers.co.uk/worksop-half-marathon-fun-run-c2.html OCTOBER

http://www.cavcare.org.uk/Carlton NOVEMBER

http://northderbyshirerc.jimdo.com/our-races/bolsover-10k/ DECEMBER

Deffo recommend the volunteering malarky Have done 3 for the year at my local one and will be doing the same next week as I have the Worksop Half (my first half) and the Bolsover 10k in December.

Edited by Winemaster

My favourite volunteer role has got to be 'tail gunner'.

1) A valuable job for the whole team who can stop fretting over "are they all in yet"

2) Enjoy the view at a leisurely pace and see things you usually miss.

3) Chat to other volunteers out there on the course, which can be a bit lonely.

4) .......and you still get a run credit.

---------- Post added 25-10-2013 at 08:06 ----------

Getting ready for another Sheffield parkrunday? Excited about a new parkrun event? Well, there no need to be in suspense any longer because this week we welcome Mudgeeraba, Darwin, Bunbury and Westerfolds parkruns in Australia and we also welcome Ashford parkrun in the United Kingdom into the parkrun family. Good luck to all teams and first timers.

Since parkruns inception nine years ago we have staged 26,246 events and 437,745 of us have run a total of 3,441,585 times covering a distance of 17,207,925 km which is equivalent to running for 177Yrs, 300Days, 12Hrs, 14Mins, 29Secs

I wonder how many volunteers made that possible? Thank you to approximately 75,000 parkrunners out there who have volunteered in excess of 322,000 times.

---------- Post added 25-10-2013 at 10:07 ----------

Graves parkrun:-

http://www.sportdistancecalculator.com/index.php?id=12760#map

A neat site. According to them = 5.2k and only 11 mtrs altitude change?

How does yours match up.

I've been meaning to sign up for a parkrun; been in Sheffield for 2 month now and still haven't got round to it. The Hillsborough one is probably the most convieniant one for me.

Is there a timed deadline for sign up before the Sat run?

Sheffield parkrun attendances 26/10/13

34 Concord

116 Graves

94 Hilllsborough

29 Castle

433 Hallam

Total = 706

The parkrun faithful are not put off by a bit of weather.

*Saturday sign up deadline is Friday afternoon.

Edited by Flanker7
spelling

Awesome. I'll try to make next week, shin splints permitting!