The parkrun thread

The word from parkrun HQ. They are also saying 90% of runs need permission for a National restart . Its currently 74% ...........

"..............Therefore, on Friday 11 June, as promised, we will confirm whether we have reached the critical mass of permissions needed to safely restart. Reopening will also need to take into account any changes to the government’s planned easing of restrictions, and so will be contingent on the UK government announcement on Monday 14 June."

https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2021/06/04/uk-update-4-june/

Argh! I’d think it’s a big ask, to get another 16% in time. Disappointing. Hope we get some more positive parkrun news before too long...

https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2021/06/11/parkrun-set-to-return-in-england/

We are delighted to announce that more than 500 events have full landowner permission to return, which means we now have enough permissions to confirm a restart date for 5k parkrun in England on Saturday 26 June. 

This is subject to the Government communication on Monday 14 June, after which we will make a further statement confirming our position.

Edited by Waldo

Jakob Ingebrigtsen sets a men's European 5000m record with 12:48.45, the 12th fastest in history 🔥

The long wait for parkrun to restart is the reason, amongst others ;0),  it may take a little while for me to get down to this time.

Government by leak indicates the possibility of some bad news.

Fine grade detail is missing so the effect on parkrun is not known at this time.

"The lifting of all lockdown restrictions in England is likely to be delayed for up to a month from the planned date of 21 June, government sources have told the Guardian...............................

.................While no final decision has been taken, government figures said a delay of two to four weeks was likely due to the spike in cases that some scientists have warned is the beginning of a new peak.   ........." 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/11/covid-cases-in-england-rising-at-fastest-rate-since-winter-wave

*-my bold

Following the announcement this evening from the Prime Minister, confirming a delay to Step 4 of the Roadmap until Monday 19 July 2021, it is now our intention that 5k events in England will restart on Saturday 24 July.

A huge amount of work has been done in recent weeks to ensure we have permission to return from the large majority of landowners. Whilst this delay is disappointing, we respect the fact that a significant number of these permissions were contingent on the country moving into Step 4, and we will therefore target a new reopening date of Saturday 24 July.

https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2021/06/14/statement-in-response-to-roadmap-announcement/

Eilish McColgan: Scot breaks 17-year British record in women's 5,000m

McColgan's startling run bodes well for her third Olympic Games this summer, as she raced round in 14 minutes 28.55 seconds to smash Radcliffe's previous mark of 14:29.11.

The 30-year-old also took a whopping 18 seconds off her own previous best - 14:46.17 - which had stood as a Scottish record since October 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/57689929

England - With landowner permission now in place for 524 5k events, we will be restarting in England on Saturday 24 July.

An up-to-date list of English 5k parkrun events with landowner permission can be found here, and all those events should now be preparing to reopen in three weeks time.

Event teams and ambassadors have been working hard to ensure checklists are completed and volunteer rosters are being filled and we can’t wait to finally get back together at events across England at the end of this month.

https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2021/07/02/uk-update-2-july/

It's coming back................

Hi All,
I hope you are well and excited for the return of ParkRun!
In anticipation of the first ParkRun on the 24th July, I will be holding an informal drop-in session on the 17th July 9am till 10.30am at the Sheffield Castle ParkRun starting/finishing point. At the drop-in, you can:
1. Sign up as a volunteer for specific dates - I will have the sign up sheets for the first 4 weeks
2. Learn how to download and use the new ParkRun Volunteer App that you will need to be a timekeeper or token scanner (hint: it's really easy to use)
3. Meet me and other ParkRun volunteers. We are friendly, come and say hi 👋
PLEASE BRING YOUR PARKRUN BARCODE!
All the usual Covid19 rules apply - social distancing please, no groups/congregating etc. This is a drop-in info point. THIS IS NOT A PARKRUN. If its busy, have a walk and pop back.
Hope to see you there 🙂
Charlotte
Sheffield Castle ParkRun Event Director
Edited by Flanker7
clarity

and Endcliffe............

It’s coming home… Well I can’t tell you about the football but it is just over two weeks until parkrun hopefully returns to Endcliffe park on the 24th July.
Whilst we have been a little quiet over the past few months, there has been plenty going on behind the scenes for our return.
First off though, we are in need some fab volunteers to help bring back parkrun safely. If you would like to volunteer for any of the upcoming parkruns please email in to, endcliffe@parkrun.com with the date(s) you would like to volunteer on.
A lot has changed since the last parkrun, including a move to the new volunteering app for both timing and scanning. If you are coming down to volunteer, you will need to download the Virtual Volunteer app. The handy video will help explain how the app works.

News from Rother Vallet parkrun.  

They will kill the goose that laid the golden egg. I always park in Sothall and walk in.

Tim Fellows  · S1tSponshorerod  · 

Parking arrangements at Rother Valley have changed. Instead of a person in a hut taking £1 per car, it's now ANPR at the barrier, with pay at a machine or on exit. £1 for 1 hour, £2 for 2 hours. The worry I have is that too many people will arrive as close to 9 as they can so they can fit inside the hour and we'll end up with a big queue at the barrier. It'll possibly also reduce the number of people staying for a coffee afterwards. We'll see.