The parkrun thread

Are Children able to do the park run at Graves Park? I have a 7 year old who is a keen runner and can't get enough! (completed the 5km race for life in 28 mins). I intend to run as well, but just didn't know if children were able to also? Thanks

I'd say Lyme Park is the toughest out of the 118 I've done Joe.

Have you done Watergrove? Word around Manchester is that it's tougher than Lyme park but I haven't done either yet. I think the elevation change is supposed to be greater at watergrove.

I'm on for Woodbank next weekend though.

Edited by biotechpete

Watergrove is tough but I still think Lyme is slightly harder - both are certainly challenging but after 3.5km at Watergrove it's all downhill or flat whereas Lyme Park has a tougher uphill last km.

Joe, I've done a few abroad now (USA, SA, Poland and Singapore) and the general spirit and atmosphere is similar everywhere. The size of the field varies though - from 14 when I did Livonia (USA) to over 800 at Delta Park in Johannesburg!

Are Children able to do the park run at Graves Park? I have a 7 year old who is a keen runner and can't get enough! (completed the 5km race for life in 28 mins). I intend to run as well, but just didn't know if children were able to also? Thanks

Don't think they can run alone at that age at Graves. No problem with an adult in tow.

I noticed that a section of the pavement along Rustlings road has been dug up and cordoned off. How did the Hallam Park run get past this, as they are usually very insistent that runners do not go onto the road? Or was the work done later in the morning, after the run?

Thanks for the info. Jimmy O

Wot? even steeper than Woodbank (Manc)

Woodbank is a favourite of mine with the running track start and finish makes me feel like a proper runner - and faster too!

There are also 'B' and 'C' courses for frosty/icy days when their hill is too dangerous. Mind you the downhill adverse camber turn is tricky enough on any day. I was told that the 'B' and 'C' versions are deliberately longer so that no-one gets a cheap Woodbank pb on an easier track. I like that.

I'm looking forward to Gedling and Gainsborough and Lyme Park and . . . . . . . so many parkruns , so few Saturdays.

I did Woodbank today, Strava says the elevation gain is similar to Hillsborough. The hill is steep but with the rest of the course being quite flat, I found it a similar difficulty to Hillsborough.

I like the course at woodbank though and it's really organised with the cones and signs, but I can imagine that turn at the bottom being tricky in the wet, never mind icy conditions.

Children are welcome at Graves Parkrun but the parkrun ruling is that under 11s must be accompanied by an adult and must stay within arms length of them so if your 7 year old is faster than you, they will have to run at your pace.

Sheffield & Rotherham parkrun attendances for 18-07-15

64- Concord

196 - Graves

154 - Hillsborough

39 - Castle

439 - Hallam

Total = 892

00- Rother Valley - Cancelled due to a 5k run in the park.

60 - Clifton Park

Total = 60

Combined Total = 952

I hope you ('Baggers1987') made it to a parkrun. Once you have been a couple of times you are sure to find a friendly pacer look after your child no matter what the speed.

Scary fact of the day = the AGR (age group record) for JM10's is in the 19th minute in 5 out of our 7 runs and 18:45 at Sheff Hallam.

Edited by Flanker7

Thanks for the replies, hope to head to a run in the coming week or two. Anybody have any info on any junior running clubs/training?

OMG!

Owing to Cliffhanger in Endcliffe Park there are going to be 400+ Hallam parkrunner's who will be without their regular event this weekend.

Advertise your home run here............Graves = Cute furry things............

Batten down the hatches.

Lengthen the finishing tunnel.

Break out the extra pack of finishing tokens.

Prepare for the great invasion.

Edited by Flanker7

I thought Cliffhanger was 2 weeks ago, in Millhouses - ?

If Hallam parkrun isn't on this weekend; I can see a new attendance record being set at Graves...

I ran through Graves Park this morning; they had scaffolding / monkey-bars up, just near the Pavilion, anyone know what that's all about?