The parkrun thread

I'm planning on my first go at Endcliffe tomorrow, not looking forward to the crowds

Start as near the front as your conscience will allow, and 'ease' some of the little uns to one side for me will you. Its the only way to get to the 3rd bridge, up to the pond, with runners of your own speed.

Question = How much slower (%) is grass as compared to tarmac?

I yesterday I found a grass 400 metres measured out and did a 5k on the spur of the moment. It wasn't bone hard after all this rain but I really struggled to hold a decent pace (for me) even though it was flat.

yeah and watch for the dog muck bins and park benches. We stopped doing Endcliffe after we saw someone twang into a park bench.

Not sure about the grass question - 5-10% maybe

Start as near the front as your conscience will allow, and 'ease' some of the little uns to one side for me will you. Its the only way to get to the 3rd bridge, up to the pond, with runners of your own speed.
Knock the kids in the duck pond, gotcha ;) yeah I'll start near the front row then, chase the speedsters round!

Question = How much slower (%) is grass as compared to tarmac?

I yesterday I found a grass 400 metres measured out and did a 5k on the spur of the moment. It wasn't bone hard after all this rain but I really struggled to hold a decent pace (for me) even though it was flat.

I'm not sure exactly, it probably depends on grass conditions but I reckon I might be as much as a minute slower on firm grass compared to tarmac over 5k. Part of it may be just not being accustomed to running quick on grass though!

Inaugural Humber Bridge parkrun for me tomorrow (unfortunately it doesn't include going over the bridge which would have been cool!).

So who braved the wet this weekend then?

Was lucky enough to be sat in my girlfriend's car when the downpour hit - for once driving down to a parkrun rather than running as we had things to pick up afterwards. So managed to stay out the rain until it eased off and thus avoid getting drenched on my first run out at Endcliffe. Enjoyed it, though it was a bit slippy with the rain, slower than normal and at least one lad took a nasty fall. The warning about watching out for the young'uns getting in your way didn't quite hold either, seeing as one of them did 17:31! Star of the future.

Gf did a huge PB and I got a more modest one so we were both happy and will be back there at some point. Different scale to Hillsborough, though I like both.

Sheffield & Rotherham parkrun attendances for 7-6-14.

42 - Concord

116 - Graves

91 - Hillsborough

37 - Castle

331 - Hallam

Total = 617

No RVp owing to another Event in the park.

34 - Rotherham Clifton Park

Total = 34

I was at Wolverhampton in a manicured Victorian Park with wide paths and all the trimmings - fountain - bandstand - topiary - playground. There was a bit of standing water but it didn't rain during the run, Kilometer markers and no corners helped me to my quickest time this year. Brilliant

Edited by Flanker7
updating.......

Does anyone know why the Castle results have been so late the last couple of weeks?

So who braved the wet this weekend then?

Nope.

I did my slowest ever half this month (around 2:23 I think). Think I'm fatigued, so going to try reducing the monthly milage for a few weeks and getting some early nights.

The warning about watching out for the young'uns getting in your way didn't quite hold either, seeing as one of them did 17:31! Star of the future.

Gf did a huge PB and I got a more modest one so we were both happy and will be back there at some point. Different scale to Hillsborough, though I like both.

Yep, it's shocking how fast some of them go. Saw a couple of young girls (maybe 13-14) at the very front of RV once. They set off like rockets, and I was thinking they're bound to fizzle, but no, think they were 1st and 3rd! Shouldn't be allowed!

Congrats on the personal bests!

I was at Wolverhampton in a manicured Victorian Park with wide paths and all the trimmings - fountain - bandstand - topiary - playground.

Told you didn't I :cool:

Nope.

I did my slowest ever half this month (around 2:23 I think). Think I'm fatigued, so going to try reducing the monthly milage for a few weeks and getting some early nights.

If that was Eyam I wouldn't worry too much about it! I have a friend who did a recent half in under 1:50 and did Eyam in 2:12. I took it easy but even so was way off my Edinburgh time which I ran steady until the second half of the race.

If that was Eyam I wouldn't worry too much about it! I have a friend who did a recent half in under 1:50 and did Eyam in 2:12. I took it easy but even so was way off my Edinburgh time which I ran steady until the second half of the race.

Yep, it was Eyam, also did a slow time (2:06) at Buxton the week after.

Thing is, 10 days before Eyam, I did Silverstone and got my best 10k time in over 4 years. I also did a 1:40 at Conwy HM in November last year; so not sure what's gone wrong. Maybe something to do with the heat.

Hoping to get back in the sub 2 hours category at Humber Bridge!... :cool:

Yep, it was Eyam, also did a slow time (2:06) at Buxton the week after.

Thing is, 10 days before Eyam, I did Silverstone and got my best 10k time in over 4 years. I also did a 1:40 at Conwy HM in November last year; so not sure what's gone wrong. Maybe something to do with the heat.

Hoping to get back in the sub 2 hours category at Humber Bridge!... :cool:

Could be anything - heat, fatigue, lots of racing in a short space of time. I had a real drop in performances lasting through the last month up until Edinburgh HM where I returned to something like my usual self. My answer was to rest and to decide to have fun as much as possible rather than get caught up in targets and competition. I jogged a Trunce race and clowned my way around the Eyam course and by the time I got to Edinburgh I was relaxed and happy with running again. Sometimes its good to rediscover why you started running in the first place. I'm fairly new to running so I'm sure you know all this better than me though!

Good luck at Humber Bridge!