The parkrun thread

Numbers at Hallam maybe down due to Clowne HM today and also the Carlton Palmer 10k - ?

Whilst running in Graves, I have had several `disagreements` with dog walkers after being bitten, scratched or chased, thankfully not during a parkrun though!

Happy running everyone! :-)

I did Sheffield Castle this Saturday, enjoyed it, was quite a slow field this week, so managed to get a good position. Also had a really good run at the Conwy Half today, I'm convinced these fast 5k park runs are helping to get my Half Marathon times down!

I have a few friends who go every week, they look like great events. I might wait for winter to pass!:hihi:

Is a Steady Saturday parkrun good preparation for a Persy Pud'ding?

'Tail Gunner' (runner) is one of the most rewarding volunteer roles.

Re Graves........

I hope there was no swearing at dogs as reported last week - mind you everyone has equal rights to the path and you would think that is it better for one person and one dog to make room for several runners. I heard that one of the walkers was deliberatly being obstructive. This behaviour is not unique.

On a happy note our consecutive pb'er returned and did the business with a finely judged run. A 1 second pb leaves room for another next time and a first sub 30 time too.

Graves - Hills & Highland Cows

Most dog owners in Graves are very friendly and supportive of parkrun, keep their dogs under control and often give encouragement to the runners, but there is a very small minority who seem to resent us using the park for an hour once a week. On one occasion when I was marshalling I saw a man and and woman with 2 small dogs deliberately stand blocking the path letting the dogs wander in front of the runners. He then came over and complained aggressively to me about the runners using the path and shouted me down when I tried to reply.

When hillsborough parkrun started. The second week I had an enquiry by a guy with a big German shepherd "if my dog trips someone up or bites a runner, who's responsible? " cue discussion about leads or not on leads. Not 100% sure I looked into it With parks and ccountryside.

In Sheffield parks dogs dont have to be on a lead but the dog owner has to have 100% control of their animal at all times.dog owners have a responsibility for the dog not to be a nuisance or obstruction to other park users. Hillsborough park is classed as a runner & walker friendly park with stumps with a foot on marking the suggested routes. Not sure if graves is classed as the same.

Edited by runningowl

Hillsborough park is classed as a runner & walker friendly park with stumps with a foot on marking the suggested routes. Not sure if graves is classed as the same.

Graves has those markers too plus orienteering ones. And huge amounts of dogs.

A new word has entered the parkrun lexicon - Regionaire.

I thought this would be right up my street but was dismayed to find 60% is my best score.

Figures as follows:-

Sheffield (sub region S ) = 3/5, 60%

Sheffield & Rotherham (sub region S&R) = 4/7, 57%

South Yorks (sub region SY) = 4/9, 44%

Yorks & Humberside (full parkrun region)= 7/24, 29%

Scotland (full r) = 5/12, 41%

East Mids (full r) = 5/12, 41%

All very disappointing. Especially because two in my house are full members of sub groups S and S&R. I'm looking to increase one to 80% at Castle on parkrunday. ;-)

BTW - I made up the subgroups. This 'stato' needs counselling.

Graves - Hills & Highland Cows

Edited by Flanker7
accuracy

Parkrun day! What's that?

The parkrun dictionary:-

parkrunday = saturday (9am)

passionista = all (park)runs done on the same parkrun course.

uber-tourist = 20 different parkruns or 5 inaugural parkruns

dfyb

to be continued......

Ah right. Thought it was some special one-off event!!

Enjoy your run at Sheffield Castle (look out for the nice hill at the end of each lap). Think I'll be at Sheffield Hallam park run. Hope to get one in at Hillsborough soon too.

Sheffield parkrun attendances for St Andrews Day

30 - Concord

127 - Graves

76 Hillsborough

39 - Sheffield Castle

340 - Sheffield Hallam

Total 612

The cold mornings are starting to put the bite on numbers. But Castle and Graves are holding up well.

. . . . and there's Percy Pud tomorrow. Good Luck everyone.

Castle lived up to the hype. Everyone very supportive. The course was fantastic, the long hill seemed, to me, to be 3 sections - 2 tough bits with a false flat inbetween. All three of us went faster than at Graves!

Edited by Flanker7
Updated numbers