The parkrun thread

Sheffield parkrun attendances 26/10/13

34 Concord

116 Graves

94 Hilllsborough

29 Castle

433 Hallam

Total = 706

The parkrun faithful are not put off by a bit of weather.

*Saturday sign up deadline is Friday afternoon.

parkruns are amazing....nice way to start your weekend....

i can see how the Halam parkrun grew for last two or three years....When I joined there was hardly 150 people....it has grown three fold....it shows how success the Halam parkrun is...parkrun organisers and the volunteers are doing a fantastic job...

Edited by larryking

Sheffield parkrun attendances 26/10/13

34 Concord

116 Graves

94 Hilllsborough

29 Castle

433 Hallam

Total = 706

The parkrun faithful are not put off by a bit of weather.

*Saturday sign up deadline is Friday afternoon.

Great to see Graves with higher numbers than Hillsboro!

[quote=Flanker7;10111561http://www.sportdistancecalculator.com/index.php?id=12760#map

A neat site. According to them = 5.2k and only 11 mtrs altitude change?

How does yours match up.

Wow, well, they got the change in altitude a bit wrong! I recon the distance is about right, just a tad over 5k; would say 5.2 sounds about right (matches what I got on my Garmin).

There is talk of getting one of those wheels out and re-measuring Graves.

So, if it comes in long, as most expect it to, what then?

There are only 2 choices.

What do you think is for the best?

If it turns out to be 200m too long, my vote would be let's not change it. I like it to be the same length, so I can compare how fast I run the course now, with how fast I ran it in the past. I also like the 'extra bit' as it gives plenty of opportunity for sprint finishes and over-taking to gain a place or two in the finishing straight!

To join one of the park runs is it just a case of turning up? or do you have to register/pay?

Cheers guys

Some people just turn up and run. It's worth registering though, as all your runs and times are recorded online, so you get to see how you progress.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/register/

Once registered, you'll need to print out a barcode (it's your unique parkrun ID number). Or, you can get one printed on durable plastic, and delivered, for a small fee...

http://www.parkrun-barcode.org.uk

Great, cheers waldo, with darker nights now here, this is the only ideal time to run 4me

Have to admit, my Garmin, the Endomondo app on my phone (when I used it) and a route measuring tool I used all came out at around 5.17k so I've always thought it could be a little bit long. My GPS starting place though sometimes comes out near the traffic lights at the top of Warminster so who knows!

However, even if a re-measure shows that it is long, I agree with Waldo, it should stay as it is. There is a need to compare with previous times.

Just for information, I notice that the route shown on Graves parkrun course page both starts and finishes at the corner of the car park.

Just for information, I notice that the route shown on Graves parkrun course page both starts and finishes at the corner of the car park.

I had never noticed that before.

The actual starting point is further away from the café and the actual finish is near'er to the café. Whether one cancels the other out is debatable and I don't think the internet map is meant to be bang on 5k accurate. The RD's have always been keen to direct the timer person to the change in tarmac by the small bush as the place to register a time.

btw - I have a mate who, without fail, always moans that the timer robbed him of 2/3 seconds by pressing late. . . . . . if he does it late every time, wots the problem? Graves is not going to be anyone's 'all time' 'all parkrun's' pb

Graves is not going to be anyone's 'all time' 'all parkrun's' pb

Exactly! That's not why we do Graves...erm why DO we do Graves :-)

In all honesty, and having thought about it a bit more, I like it just the way it is. Is there even a need to re-measure?

Edited by Whoosh77

Hi, I recently moved to sheffield and I have registered online and have prited my bar code but in the last few weeks i have been busy on saturday mornings. I hope to join the run soon