Grenoside/Wharncliffe/Thurgoland

We are wanting to re-locate to a nice semi-rural village with a good primary school ideally no more than 30 mins from Wakefield.

Have looked on Right Move and there seem to be some decent properties in Thurgoland and Grenoside.

I've no idea what these areas are like so am hoping you can enlighten me and advise on any other areas.

Many thanks:)

Grew up in Grenoside, nice village although has expanded a lot over the last 10/15 years. Still holds it's village appeal in the top half of the village near the Old Harrow and Angel pubs, and it has an award winning chippy.

The primary school is well regarded and has recently been rebuilt.

Good transport links into Sheffield and it sits on the main road out of the North of Sheffield. Close to lots of woodland.

Thurgoland is a lot smaller in comparison and relatively in the middle of nowhere. Always struck me as a mice place to live. In the countryside.

Can't comment on Wharncliffe Side.

You might also want to consider Burncross and Oxspring. Also Thorpe Hesley.

Hope that helps

Jim

Thanks Jim for the reply- it really is useful. I will have a look at those other areas.

Best wishes Liz

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 17:20 ----------

and thanks too to Butlers for the pm!

Wharncliffe always looks nice when I drive through, there's also Oughtibridge to consider.

I think Thurgoland would be quite different to all the other places listed, it's a lot further from the city and much more in the countryside, probably nice though.

thanks Cyclone. Would you recommend Oughtibridge then?

Oughtibridge- nice village feel to it, but not close to motorway link, and always succeptable to flooding!

Oughtibridge- nice village feel to it, but not close to motorway link, and always succeptable to flooding!

only at the bottom! most of the houses are on hillside, and the river has been cleared of debris after the last flood.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Love Grenoside great place to live.Wharncliffe and greno woods is the most amazing place for walking with the family or ripping it downhill on the mountain bike

Thanks so much for all the replies and info. Going to be really useful. Hope to have a visit very soon.

have a look at Thorpe hesley, Scholes and so on as an alternative.

Grenoside is a great place and also Thorpe Hesley which has close proximity to M1 while still being semi-rural in places

Maybe for some districts mentioned you ought to check where the HS2 is likely to run.