Is the country full up

A country is full up when it reaches the limit of the number of people it can feed from within it's own shores.

That darned Colonel Sanders.

How big do people like Halibut think the population should be? At what point would they be prepared to admit we are full up?

I don't think the UK is full up. We're an ageing population (I'm one of the oldies) and we need younger people to work and pay into the system like we did. If we don't have that continuity, then who will support the next generation of pensioners and contribute to our necessary public services? However, I do think the public sector (NHS; social housing; social care; schools) is overloaded in some areas of the UK. Perhaps it's the imbalance in distribution of population that needs to be addressed.

I'd suggest that the government should move more public sector departments out of London and the South East. I also think they should give generous tax incentives to other businesses to enable them to relocate to areas with high unemployment and reasonably affordable housing.

I don't think the UK is full up. We're an ageing population (I'm one of the oldies) and we need younger people to work and pay into the system like we did. If we don't have that continuity, then who will support the next generation of pensioners and contribute to our necessary public services? However, I do think the public sector (NHS; social housing; social care; schools) is overloaded in some areas of the UK. Perhaps it's the imbalance in distribution of population that needs to be addressed.

I'd suggest that the government should move more public sector departments out of London and the South East. I also think they should give generous tax incentives to other businesses to enable them to relocate to areas with high unemployment and reasonably affordable housing.

That sounds like an entirely selfish reason to conclude that we aren't overpopulated, I would rather work longer so that my children can enjoy a less crowded country.

The focus on immigration - rather than the demographics of those living here - that is more people are choosing to live alone, people living longer, and higher marital seperation means that the demand for seperate spaces is higher.

i'm not sure about migration though - the ratio of people coming into the country as opposed to those leaving it....

That sounds like an entirely selfish reason to conclude that we aren't overpopulated, I would rather work longer so that my children can enjoy a less crowded country.

You working longer creates its own problems, like denying your children the chance to climb the employment ladder.

Macbeth makes a good point, depending on how old you are now, you could realistically look forward to living until you're 90..who's going to provide the social/health care that you need or pay the taxes to support it?

The country being full up isn't the problem, old buggers not dying sharpish is.

I've met loads of people who think we're over-populated. None of them have ever said what they mean by over-populated and none of them have decided not to have kids so as not to make the problems even worse.

I do find it ironic that some people blame immigration for a shortage of doctors when over a third of UK doctors are immigrants.

The focus on immigration - rather than the demographics of those living here - that is more people are choosing to live alone, people living longer, and higher marital seperation means that the demand for seperate spaces is higher.

i'm not sure about migration though - the ratio of people coming into the country as opposed to those leaving it....

Can anyone provide this information ?

I don't think the UK is full up. We're an ageing population (I'm one of the oldies) and we need younger people to work and pay into the system like we did. .

That would be fine, if the younger people actually wanted to work, and pay into the system. Unfortunately, if the majority of the 18-25 demographic in South Yorkshire is anything to judge by, then we're buggered.

Maybe get some more doctors, dentists or midwives then. There's no shortage of people who want those jobs, the medical schools are full of keen students.

Or perhaps we could import some if we can't train up enough of our own.....

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I find that a totally immoral outlook, I think we've stolen enough skilled personnel already from countries that have spend money on educating and training people, and can't afford to lose them. And yet I bet, judging your past efforts, you'd be one of the first criticising the old British Empire for siphoning off other countries wealth in the past.

Although, like MsMacBeth, maybe you think it's justified so that when you're old people you continue to live the good life on other people's contributions?

I've met loads of people who think we're over-populated. None of them have ever said what they mean by over-populated and none of them have decided not to have kids so as not to make the problems even worse.

I do find it ironic that some people blame immigration for a shortage of doctors when over a third of UK doctors are immigrants.

They don't count LeMaquis, they're only seen as immigrants when they're down Page Hall breathing fire on the natives.

No, we can squeeze many more people into the country as long as some people don't mind their quality of life deteriorating.

That sounds like an entirely selfish reason to conclude that we aren't overpopulated......

There's selfish and there's selfish.

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 17:46 ----------

[/b]

Can anyone provide this information ?

It's known as net migration and is in the news a lot; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23878689

I find that a totally immoral outlook, I think we've stolen enough skilled personnel already from countries that have spend money on educating and training people, and can't afford to lose them.
Crikey, sounding a lot like Nick Griff there nj? :suspect:

And yet I bet, judging your past efforts, you'd be one of the first criticising the old British Empire for siphoning off other countries wealth in the past.
If you feel so aggrieved by it, I'm sure they'd love some of it back.

Although, like MsMacBeth, maybe you think it's justified so that when you're old people you continue to live the good life on other people's contributions?

That's what's happening now and has been for the last 30 years...despite what the general population believe national insurance was never intended to be 'insurance', nor was it costed properly based on erroneous calculations of life expectancy and retirement ages, I'm afraid you and me my friend have been subsidising pensioners for many decades.