Pavillion Swallownest

Victor,did you know Mick Wallis at woodhouse grammar my wife asks also David Shepherd.

Names ring as bell bulerboy, but at the moment I cannot put a face to them. Depends somewhat on when they started at WGS. We all tended to stick together from the yaer we started there. I started at WGS in September 1951. I am still in wekly contact with those alive from my year, even though they are spread around the world, plus even a few from Swallownest school who are my age.

9-10pm here (2-10pm in the UK), so time to sit and think before going for a shower and then bed

Best Wishes - Victor - Malaysia

---------- Post added 06-09-2013 at 20:56 ----------

for cal1943 - have now remembered, the younger one was Alan Smith, the older one was Maurice Smith. If Alan is stil alive he will be around 73 now

I am still not sure which was Manvers and which was Eden Grove. Was Eden Grove at Aston, a dead end road off Aston Lane, on the right when leaving Aston and just past what was the old librarty and reading rooms. Either way, the Smiths lived on the lane opposite the Pavilion Cinema. I remember going to their bungalow, and sem to remeber it had quite a large garden at the rear.

Names ring as bell bulerboy, but at the moment I cannot put a face to them. Depends somewhat on when they started at WGS. We all tended to stick together from the yaer we started there. I started at WGS in September 1951. I am still in wekly contact with those alive from my year, even though they are spread around the world, plus even a few from Swallownest school who are my age.

9-10pm here (2-10pm in the UK), so time to sit and think before going for a shower and then bed

---------- Post added 06-09-2013 at 20:56 ----------

for cal1943 - have now remembered, the younger one was Alan Smith, the older one was Maurice Smith. If Alan is stil alive he will be around 73 now

I am still not sure which was Manvers and which was Eden Grove. Was Eden Grove at Aston, a dead end road off Aston Lane, on the right when leaving Aston and just past what was the old librarty and reading rooms. Either way, the Smiths lived on the lane opposite the Pavilion Cinema. I remember going to their bungalow, and sem to remeber it had quite a large garden at the rear.

Think you'll find that "Alan Smith" is actually "Colin"....and yes, still with us and still living on Eden Grove. Lovely bloke, superb sense of humour!

One of his brothers - Roy - also lives on Eden Grove...

The third brother is Eric, who I think still resides in the area.

Hi victor,

Manvers road and eden grove are both opposite pavilion,eden grove above,and manvers below...

regards pacman123

With regard to the guy I know as "Alan" Smith, even though his birth name may be different. At Swallownest school, I was there from Sept 1945 to July 1951 and he was there at the same time. (I am 73.1/2 now), The lads all called him "Sausage". One of the teachers Steven Raisen or Raysen (his parents had the Milinary Shop on High Street, opposite the school and of course bit lower down than Walt Haywood, the barber. One day Steven heard a lad use the nick name of sausage. Steven asked the lad why called his friend sausage. The las said it was because his friend was smaller than the others. Steven said - OK, but there are also "big sausages" !!!

I seem to remember that their father had on old Austin Seven Van in those days

Grey Eminence (Victor Marshall Hutchinson) - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

Sorry to be another hijacker, but I wondered if any of you Swall folk knew/ know Mick Gray ( piano/ organ player) or Alan and Jean Green. Thanks.

With regard to the guy I know as "Alan" Smith, even though his birth name may be different. At Swallownest school, I was there from Sept 1945 to July 1951 and he was there at the same time. (I am 73.1/2 now), The lads all called him "Sausage". One of the teachers Steven Raisen or Raysen (his parents had the Milinary Shop on High Street, opposite the school and of course bit lower down than Walt Haywood, the barber. One day Steven heard a lad use the nick name of sausage. Steven asked the lad why called his friend sausage. The las said it was because his friend was smaller than the others. Steven said - OK, but there are also "big sausages" !!!

I seem to remember that their father had on old Austin Seven Van in those days

Grey Eminence (Victor Marshall Hutchinson) - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

Hello again!

Eden Grove's not the largest thoroughfare on the planet, but I suppose it's not impossible for two different Smith families to have been/still be up there!

I guess the easist way of finding out is to contact "my" Colin Smith and ask the pertinent question!

I'll try and contact him this weekend and let you know...!

Hi victor,

Manvers road and eden grove are both opposite pavilion,eden grove above,and manvers below...

regards pacman123

Len Statham's betting shop was on Manvers Road. His son Reg then took it over. I used to spend my Saturday afternoons in their.

---------- Post added 28-11-2013 at 04:57 ----------

Pavillion Snooker hall celebrating 100TH birthday in November,can anybody remember when it stopped being a cinema,?I can remember going to see Hercules as a nipper...

I remember as an AUGHTON KID going straight from Swallownest school up to the Pavilion which didn,t open until about 6.30. We used to help Alan Lax start the engine for the film to start. I don,t remember what we did about getting anything to eat until we got home.

KT 1950 - what years were you at Swallownest school ? I was there 1945 to 1951 - infants and junior school, then on to Woodhouse Grammar School Sept 1951. I knew a lot of Aughton Lads at the time, and later. I lived on Aughton Road, Swallownest, opposite the Doctors House.

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

KT 1950 - what years were you at Swallownest school ? I was there 1945 to 1951 - infants and junior school, then on to Woodhouse Grammar School Sept 1951. I knew a lot of Aughton Lads at the time, and later. I lived on Aughton Road, Swallownest, opposite the Doctors House.

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

Hi Victor.I wIent to Swallownest school 1944 to 1950.The school just below Walt Haywoods . I left school Easter 1950 and started work at the builders opposite the new big school on Aughton Rd. I seem to remember a Victor living opposite the doctors I think his surname was Hutchinson. He then went to live on Park Hill. Is this any relative?. Please try me with names of any Aughton/Aston/Swallownest lads.I have met a few in my visits to the UK in 2004.2006 and 2011.Cheers.

KT1950 - thank you for your reply - it is me you are referring to, born 1940, so a bit older than you - 73.1/2 now and lived in Malaysia since end of 2006 when I moved my manufacturing business here. Left Swallownest in late 1968 and moved to Driffield in East Yorkshire, then on to Malaysia some years later. Not been back to the UK since Sept 2007, family come and visit us here. Lads of my age I am in contact with are Brian Young, Tony Steel (Walts grandson), Jeffrey Jacobs, Paul Mellars (now Professor Sir Paul John Mellars), David and Margaret Alton, Tony Winks, Ken Siddall, Adrienne Cornwall, plus many who are from Woodhouse Grammar School days. But I do remember a lot of other names from Swallownest School, some alive, some no longer with us, but not in contact with them. Some others you may know are Trevor Proudman, Roy Edwards, Ray Stephenson, Frankie Grant, Eric Tillery, Jimmy Stringer, Brian Cherry, Roy Cocking, Derek (??) Simpkin, Jimmy Sherrit, Maureen Needham, Pat Parry, Elsie Cregan, twins Jean and Joan Challons, Michael Watkinson, john Mallinder, John Owen, Danny Randall, Denis Hague, Margaret Reynolds, Joan Antcliffe, Margaret Foster, and a few others from Fence, etc

My big question is - who are you - and where are you ?

My e mail address is shown on one of my company web sites - http://www.cfhsaeqa.com.my and I can then update you further

Regards - Victor Marshall Hutchinson

Hi Victor. Thanks for your reply to mine. I am Keith Taylor now living in Melbourne Australia since 1964. Prior to that we lived on West Park Drive Swallownest. Quite a few of the names you listed are in my memory bank. Jimmy Sherritt is the brother of one of my closest friends Albert Sherritt. He lives at Norfolk Park Sheffield. Brian Young used to live with my cousin Maureen Norris (in the houses between the school and walt haywoods. I am a new member to Sheffield Forum so hope I get it right in posting. Regards.