Pavillion Swallownest

Pavillion Snooker hall celebrating 100TH birthday in November,can anybody remember when it stopped being a cinema,?I can remember going to see Hercules as a nipper...

I was born in Swallownest - July 1940. My family had lived there for generations, some still olive in the area. As a small boy I used to go there with my grandfather about twice a week to the matinee, although cannot ever remember going to the Saturday "Tanner Rush" which was specially for children.

I think that the projectionist was called Alan Lax, friend of one of my uncles, so if Alan is still alive he will be around 90 years old now

No idea when the cinema stopped showing films, but would have been before late 1950's.

Not much information for you, but "every little bit helps"

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

The sheffieldhistory.co.uk forum has a short thread about the Pavilion - here.

...I think that the projectionist was called Alan Lax, friend of one of my uncles, so if Alan is still alive he will be around 90 years old now...
Allan Lax became manager of the Pavilion; he died aged 80 in 1993, still living in Swallownest.

Interesting Hillsboro - Alan and my Uncle Jack (Marshall) were friends from a young age and continued for a few years until Jack took a job move with the NHS to Worthing. He is long retired now and at retirement was a Coronor on the Brighton, Worthing, Arundel circuit. Also spent his working life on Cancer and Blood Research. Yes Alan would have been 80 when he died because he and Jack were same age and Jack is 90 in October (still ballroom dancing at 90)

Best Wishes - Victor - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

---------- Post added 04-09-2013 at 19:11 ----------

CORRECTION TO MY LAST POST

Dear Hilsboro, are you sure Alan Lax died in 1993 aged 80. He was frequently at my grandmothers with my Uncle Jack when I was young. There were usually a few other Swallownest guys of the same age with them. Jack is 10% certain aged 90 in October. My cousins in Worthing and Hove are already working on a big celebration party for him

Hasta Luego - Victor - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

Hi Victor - Allan/Alan Lax isn't a common name, and so it was fairly easy to trace in BMD records. I can't find anyone of this name born in the UK between 1912 and 1932 (Allan Lax born 11 October 1912, died Sept. 1993 in the Rotherham registration district, and Allan Geoffrey Lax born 11 November 1932, died Oct. 1995 in the South Cheshire registration district). So this does seem to be conclusive. There is a marriage record of 1940 in the Rother Valley district, for Allan Lax and Bessie Chambers, likely children being Linda and Rosalyn, born 1943 and 1947.

My wife used to go to the Baptist chapel with Linda.

Thanks Hillsboro, I will check this out with Uncle Jack down in Worthing. May take a while because he leaves e mail reading and replying on the back burner until he feels like squinting at the screen. I e mail him in a 20 size font which helps. He has glaucoma which is a problem and made him stop driving last year. But he still goes ballroom dancing 2 or 3 times a week, and at about 80 got his Gold Medal - Best Regards - Victor - Malaysia

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 16:00 ----------

Do you mean the Baptist Chapel at Swallownest Bullerboy ??. Of so, what is yourt wifes maiden name, I may know her and her family is they are "0ld Swallownest" - I was born July 1940

Best Wishes - Victor - Malaysia

es Victor i do,her name was Wright from School st and she was born there in 44.

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 09:39 ----------

es Victor i do,her name was Wright from School st and she was born there in 44.
Can you remember the Lunn family well her best friend was Beryl who sadly passed away 3yrs ago.

Got to think about the name Wright in relation to School Street !

My grandmothers older sister lived there, Harry and Lotte (Charlotte - nee Wasteney) Lister. Harry's sister Olive also lived with them, she was mentally impaired was Old Olive. Others being Gerald Raynor, John Owen and Gary Goodwin (my age). Many more who's faces I can visualise, but at the moment cannot put a name to. I seem to remember that someone in one of the houses had a small shop in the front room, could have been sweets etc, but too long ago to remember exactly. I can remember most of the teachers at the school up to my leaving there in July 1951. Up to age me being 12 we lived on Aughton Road, opposite the Doctors Surgery - originally Dr Jimmy Shirlow and after he retired, Dr O'Sullivan. Then, the surgery and further along Albert Taylor the coal merchant were the only houses - no more until the houses over Diggers Hill and into Aughton. My parenst then bought asnother house down Park Hill, before the field which then led down to the Henry Boot houses at the start of Fence. All houses now since Ken Siddall inherited the farm and sold the land for housing. He still lives at the farm house but also has a cottage in Whitby. Swallownest was Swallownest then, not a suburb of Sheffield !!!! is that good or bad I wonder ????

Best Wishes - Victor - Grey Eminence - Malaysia

Hello Victor,

This thread is nothing about the Pavilion, but you seem to have lot's of knowledge about old Swallownest! I am researching my family tree, and have hit a brick wall. I remember as a child in the 50's, my parent's visiting a bungalow, either on Manvers Rd, or Eden Grove. The relation was my mum's. I think she was called Edna...her parents were Fred and Ellen Marsh, and lived at Aston Terrace (now demolished) I think they were called Smith, and had a Polish lodger living with them called Tony. He was a miner ! Hopefully you might just remember something about them. Cal.

Victor, My wifes grandmother who lived at no 4 married Gerald Raynor who lived at no2.The Wrights lived at no7 and still do and next door at no8 lived Laura Bilton who had the sweet shop in her front room.Lottie Williamson lived at no6 before moving to no 11 then came back to no6 before going into a home.Kenneth Siddall was in my wifes class at school.The Listers lived at no5 all on school street apart from Kenneth Siddall.

Thanks for the update bullerboy, brings back many memories and of course confirms my 73 year old memory is till working well

Best Wishes - Victor

---------- Post added 06-09-2013 at 10:55 ----------

Dear cal1943 - I remember Eden Grove, on the left off Worksop Road, just opposite the old Pavillion cinema. Then, Eden Grove was a short dead end street with only a few houses on it. At the end there was a path down to the stream, and the other side of it led up to the bottom of Alexander Road. (we used to call that area down to the stream "the hillies" - always used for sledging down in winter snow. Many kids went down to the stream to picnic with a bottle of water and jam sandwiches. As for people living on Eden Grove, bit out of my childhood "playing area", but I remember a family who lived along there, on the right hand side, in a bungalow. Called them Smith. They had two sons, the younger one was my age, and the other was a couple of years older. One was called Maurice - may have been the younger one - he was called Sausage at junior school - because he was a bit smaller than the rest of us. I have no idea if they had a lodger. I remember their father had an old Austin 7 van at the time.

Not much, but hope it helps you. I left Swallownest School in July 1951 and went to Woodhouse Grammar School, so "going out to play" virtually stopped due to the dreaded homework hours

Bon Chance and Good Hunting - Victor - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia