Thoughts on Aston, S26

Strange logic - it just so happens to be where the boundary is drawn, sod all to do with distance automatically being a factor. A good local example to disprove your statement: Tinsley is closer to Rotherham yet is administered by Sheffield.

That was the reason I was given years ago by a local Councillor. I had no reason to doubt it.

That was the reason I was given years ago by a local Councillor. I had no reason to doubt it.

Well (s)he was talking b******s :D

Edited by No User Name

Advise looking at any of the schools Ofstead reports in the area before making descisions...Aston from experience of having had 2 children there has always been top of the tables etc. and my last child has only just left this year.

As said before any school can opt out of council control.

If you are refering to the school on Aughton Road, located at the start of Aughton when coming up and over Diggers Hill from Swallownest, when completed it absorbed Woodhouse Grammar School and many of the teachers then transfered there.

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

i live in todwick, so often travel through aston, it seems to be a very lovely place to live! good schools in the surrounding area and lots of nice green open spaces!

What are people thoughts on this area, we are moving from Manchester and have looked at a couple of houses near Aston Hall and one near 'The Chase'.

We have 2 young children, one who will be starting school next year, we are looking for a nice quiet family area with good schools.

Given your criteria, this area is as good as any other.

Yep, there are the odd scrotes around in the evenings (mainly around the shops) but they eventually grow up and get replaced with the next lot of scrotes who eventually grow up and get re.... You get it.

Thanks for all the replies..

I was under the impression certainly most of the area was private housing?

and note the secondary school is now an academy, is this good or bad?

Don't worry about the schools. They are well above average and compared with Sheffield and Rotherham and compete well in relation to the wealthy, leafy suburbs to the South West of Sheffield.

Aston Academy and Wales High are very good secondary schools in the area.

Thanks for all the replies..

I was under the impression certainly most of the area was private housing?

There are a couple of council estates - near the Doctors and near the Parish Hall - although I expect quite a few of the properties are owned privately now.

The Chase which you mentioned is not a council estate. My only suggestion would be to avoid any houses which back onto a gennel as if there are going to be kids hanging around, that's where they're likely to be.

Also - check for flood risk. Most of the estate is fine but I think there are one or two roads right at the bottom that have flooded in the past when we've had heavy rain. No doubt someone who still lives there will know more about this.

Thanks for the tip

Read somewhere about ulley res nearly bursting in 2007

Thanks for the tip

Nearly. The dam sprung a bit of a leak. It's fixed now though and tbf Aston is ABOVE the reservoir.

Still it would have been devastating for the north of England if it had gone. Something to do with a major national grid at Whiston, in the valley right where the flood waters would have gone, oh and the M1.

Also - check for flood risk. Most of the estate is fine but I think there are one or two roads right at the bottom that have flooded in the past when we've had heavy rain. No doubt someone who still lives there will know more about this.

Heron Hill i think, it backs onto a stream

Thanks for the tip

It nearly did but thanks to a herculean effort by the combined forces of Rotherham Council and most of the fire brigades in England, we had a near miss. They did flood several hundred homes in Treeton and Catcliffe with the water they had to pump away though.

However, it was a unique event. Remember in 2007 half of Sheffield was under water. My friend's wife had to be rescued from her office near Meadowhall by the RAF and my other friend had his car written off after leaving it in a car park near Meadowhall.

The only impact of the events at Ulley on Aston were that the main road to Rotherham was closed. But to be honest... who wants to go to Rotherham anyway? Even if the reservoir had burst, the water would have run in the other direction.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/6239782.stm

If you're interested, the report on flooding in 2009 is here: http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/downloads/file/3215/june_2009_flood_investigation_final_report

It lists the roads/areas which flooded but the council have done some work to try to reduce the chance of it happening again. That flooding was down to exceptionally heavy rain which the drains could not cope with.

Edited by Andy